Buildreport: Hobby Boss/Taigen Tiger I late

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Tiger build planning

Post by c.rainford73 »

Soeren the gun assembly is coming out excellent. I like the recoil setup you choose to go with. :clap:

Very nice quality details.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Thank you Mr Rainford. You are very kind.
Not only is it adding to the details, it also has the additional value to add structural stability to the gun elevation. As there is now a rigid frame for the pivots to work inside. The lower lip also covers the gap between the upper and the bottom of the turret. If it was a static model, I would just cement everything firmly in place. But with two servos inside I would be better of to be able to gain access.
The recoil and elevation unit needs to be heavily modified to fit into the turret. The gun will be mounted by drillling a 4mm hole in the back and and then add a fitting brass rod. Shims of brass tubing will bring this to a circumference that I can add the 8mm brass tube that can then be screwed into the recoil unit. Hope this will work out properly.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

The 1/16 need so much additional work. I am preparing the recoil to work now. Meanwhile I primed the two 1/35th scale turrets. The AFV club is primed black gray and then a 50:50 mix of Vallejo Hull red and RAL 8012. The Academy turret is black, Revell Sand and then finished in Vallejo Model color 821. Might need an additional coat. Base paint I usually thin down very much thinned down, so it is more of a dirty thinners. Lays down very smooth. But requires nearly 10-15 minutes to get a covering layer.

The barrel was painted grey now, the Turret itself got some slight shading with Vallejo Hemp and then highlightss with Model Color Ger. Camo Beige, those work together really well. The AFV-Club turret was painted Hemp now.

I just tried the putty for the camo. The Paintjob was much too smooth. Too even in color, too even on the borders. So I took the paint and repsrayed all the areas. None the less, I will use that putty even for freehand camo now, but only for preparing the layout and then finishing it by hand.

Last edited by Soeren on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

That camoflouge pattern looks superb mate
Tanks alot.... :wave:
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Loving the cammo Soeren, what is the putty??
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Thanks guys, very much appreciated :D

The Putty is that stuff
https://www.dersockelshop.de/panzer-put ... xa001.html

The big boy I will do with brown camo most likely.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Thanks for the link

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Turret test weathering:
After I let the varnish dry for a few hours, I came back for some initial weathering. Started with a filter, a mix of MIG Tan filter, a bit of Abtl. 502 light sand and Abtl 502 Matt Effect thinner. While the surface was wet, I started with the pin wash, MIG brown for German Dunkelgelb, thinned with Matt Thinner. While everythign was drying, I realized that the set pigments of the filter were good for an initial dust application. So I worked back and forth with the separating filter/wash and intermixed on the run. Lesson learned today: more mixing of products improves the natural appearance. Next I thinned down the pinwash and applied on the Zimmerit, to make the pattern pop

Now back to the bog boy. I just managed to jerk the gun recoil unit into the turret. It geta about 18mm of recoil. Looks quite ok, just a bit tweaking with the electronics setting needed now. Her is the picture to show the scale and size difference. Have to order me a close defense weapon and add the clasps to the stowage bin. Then this one is ready to get painted as well.

Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Another beautiful job on the painting and weathering with that 1:35 turret, Soeren. You make it look so easy!
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Thank you Mr. Raminator. I guess the personal style slowly develops. The Panzer Putty is a fantastic aid in doing those camo schemes. It takes some time to apply it, but you can form and shape until it is what you want :D

Return to “Other Builds”