Heng long based scratchbuilit 6x6 truck.

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Heng long 6x6 truck.

Post by wibblywobbly »

This is one nice looking truck, really impressed with what can be done with a £/$30 model! I don't think that there is anything else on the market in any category that comes in this cheap??

:thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Thank you Rob :thumbup: you are right, they are a great little truck to work with, even with changing it to servo steering and an esc with a sound set added it's still a good deal I think :D

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

There is one other cheap platform that just might turn out to be useful, the 6x6 rock crawler in 1/18. With proper electronics and a bit of TLC it could be transformed into a multitude of vehicles, including the PAK tow vehicle.

and this is the $40 (free shipping) 6x6 that I might try to convert.

and the video. The electronics have to go, but with a proper esc and a steering servo you'd have a good base for a few different projects. Naturally I'll be doing video when I start converting it, but I have a couple 4x4s waiting and the new 6x6 from HL or WPL (or whoever is actually making them) will hopefully be out in time for Christmas, though time's runnin' out on that hope.

phpBB [video]

I can't wait to see what Lee comes up with for one of these, and I can easily see the 3D print wheels turnin' in the heads of guys like Alwyn and Wayne already!! :thumbup:

Another good one

and possibly this, if the wheelbase can be shortened

I think the hardest part will be coming up with all the different types of tires.

What do you think? :haha: ;) :/
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

These trucks sure have opened up a lot of possibilities Max :thumbup: I've got another truck in the pipeline I'm working on , waiting for some bits to arrive :D

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

How about my favourite 6 wheeled military truck the "Alvis Stalwart"?
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

jarndice wrote:How about my favourite 6 wheeled military truck the "Alvis Stalwart"?
Shaun.
A very cool vehicle, but you'd definitely have to make a wheelbase change. I like the truck, but it's a bit too modern for my tastes. I already have more projects lined up than I have remaining life span, so I'll just have to hope I can live vicariously through you, Shaun, when you build yours. Of course, that will mean you'll have to post photos. Can't have a proper build log without 'em, eh? @) @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

I'm building a M8 at the minute with an unpowered centre axle as the wheelbase is too short to get power from the HL gearbox...I think an unpowered steering axle would also be able to be fixed in the centre of the chassis making Saladins, Saracens etc do-able...
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

jarndice wrote:How about my favourite 6 wheeled military truck the "Alvis Stalwart"?
Shaun.
I have looked at doing one so many times that I have lost count, it's quite a difficult one to do.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

frankie wrote:I'm building a M8 at the minute with an unpowered centre axle as the wheelbase is too short to get power from the HL gearbox...I think an unpowered steering axle would also be able to be fixed in the centre of the chassis making Saladins, Saracens etc do-able...
One of the interesting things about this 6x6 is that it has a separate motor for each axle. That means no drive shafts to shorten. I think if you were to shorten the wheelbase by cutting the frame between the first and second axles you could make a Greyhound. Again, I think the biggest issue will be proper tires.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

wibblywobbly wrote:
Shaun.
I have looked at doing one so many times that I have lost count, it's quite a difficult one to do.
I wonder if you could start with a six wheeled amphibious vehicle in a larger scale. Again we might turn to Lego

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”