Heng long based scratchbuilit 6x6 truck.

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Re: Heng long 6x6 truck.

Post by rolling-thunder »

c.rainford73 wrote:The glass and the crew look very nice. I too have noticed this with mine. I was going to change the front linkage and pitman arm when I convert it over to servo steering. Will utilize some metal steering linkages and ends from my r/c cars to address this. The steering arms that come with it look a bit chunky and are very sloppy and loose. Image
I'm only just getting into RC vehicles, I have a 1/10th scale RC4WD D90 to build but I noticed enough to see the joints move excessively on the HL/WPL truck. This causes the truck to refuse to steer on anything other than a flat surface. I'm in no rush at the moment as I have other things on but by the time I turn my attention to my trucks I hope a fix will have been found & broadcast.
I am the Law!
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi,

Due to changing the front wheels from the originals to the much narrow one's I found that you could see quite a bit of wobble in them while driving , I have managed to get them considerably better by adding some plastic shims behind the knuckle joint which connects the drive shaft to the wheel , this takes out a lot of the play making the wheel much more stable. All the trucks must be the same then with the steering arm hitting the suspension while turning but as Carl said something can easily be rigged up to remedy this problem I think, all in all they are great little trucks which lend themselves to be nicely customised and upgraded into a number of different vehicles :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Much agreed Lee. I won't be going the 6x6 route as I've too many upcoming projects buy I will completely redo the truck in 4x4 form. I ordered the das mikro set and the speaker with a very nice small speed controller. All your help and inspiration are beyond anything I can imagine.

Cheers

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thank you Carl :thumbup: I have 2 more pre-ordered with Andrew which will hopefully be here in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering what else I can make with these :D

Cheers, Lee.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Model Builder 4 wrote:Thank you Carl Image I have 2 more pre-ordered with Andrew which will hopefully be here in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering what else I can make with these :D

Cheers, Lee.
Maybe you can mass produce them buddyImage
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Carl I have a list of unfinished projects as long as my arm bud :crazy: I have about 40 hours of work in the truck already so it would be a very slow production line :haha: I'm sure we'll see some great variations of the truck in the near future, I'll be happy to share any information I can that I have learned while building mine to anyone that's thinking of chopping theirs up :D

Cheers, Lee.
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by greengiant »

Looks pretty good. Haven driven the setup you are modeling many times I must say that the trailer tongue is to long. The real trailer sits much closer to the back of the truck and I just mention this because of the few times I hopped into a parked truck to move it without making sure the trailer tongue wheel was in the up position and I bent it all to hell. Even did it once ( only once )to my own truck.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks for the input greengiant :thumbup: funny you should mention that, since I took the photos of it I have shortened it by about 3/4 of an inch, I don't want to put it much closer as I don't want it hindering the truck while turning, I'm in the process of making a canvas cover for the trailer as well now, I didn't really plan on making a trailer but as I had the spare cargo bed I thought why not :D

Cheers, Lee.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

OK, that Rex guy talked me into it again, look at what I just ordered!

It's 1/18 but I bet I can make it into something cool, and for $40 USD what the hell, right? @) @) @)

Can you say ... Gamma Goat?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Gary what are your plans with it? I figure you must have something up your sleeve already......

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”