M-3 Lee Kit

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M-3 Lee Kit

Post by BarryC »

c.rainford73 wrote:Hi BarryImage I've been working on this situation behind the scenes with the help of Mr Sassgrunt and MichaelC so here's where I'm at.

After almost cutting my hands off and dismantling a couple of pairs of plastic Mato sprockets I've been really working on this.

Sassgrunt has sent me a pair of Mato gearboxes. No the Mato sprockets don't not fit the Heng long final drives from the gearboxes so I've come up with a interim plan.

The Heng Long metal sprockets will work with the Mato tracks if that are wide enough :crazy:

So what I've done while tinkering around trying to make the Mato gearset work with another test set of Heng Long/Taigen ones is this....

Take the Heng Long sprockets apart in two halves.

The Mato sprockets are about 2.5mm wider. My solution is to place a metal spacer about 2.5mm thick inside between the two halves and they worked! The two halves have a male and female that allow the two parts to "lock" together. The narrow spacer slows this function to still work and once they are tightened all runs smoothly. If the spacer was a bit larger the two halves would not seat so this was a big relief!

My first go with this setup failed because I used a 2mm spacer and it was just too narrow causing the tracks to grab and jump. Image

I used longer screws to make up for the space and that allows you to get the same tight fit on the gearbox.

Carl
Thanks for the explanation Carl. I know that Taigen makes a sprocket that fits the bill but do not know if they will fit the HL GB either.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Ludwig von wigbearer wrote:Hi carl, looks fantastic and what a superb paintjob :clap: , what are your plans for the electrics.?

regards john :wave:
Hi John so glad you like it! I'm not sure yet on the electronics it will be a Clark tk60 or tk24 or the new Ibu2U. I've plenty of space inside since there is no smoker. The beutepanzer look happened to intrigue me. Image
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Barry I'm pretty sure a Taigen sprocket would be the same as a heng long???
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Post by Afrikakorps »

Hi Carl,
looks great, :thumbup: especially the captured German look. Well done. :clap:
As for the electronics and me being in Australia, I went for the ASP-2.
It has lots of versatility ( similar to elmod fusion pro and IBU3 ) and easy to set up. o-
Cheers
Steve
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee
Ferdinand / Elephant
M16 Half-track
Panther G
M4a1 (75mm)
M41 Walker Bulldog
JS-2
M4a3e8 (76mm)
Japanese Type94
FT-17
Tiger 1
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Afrikakorps wrote:Hi Carl,
looks great, Image especially the captured German look. Well done. :clap:
As for the electronics and me being in Australia, I went for the ASP-2.
It has lots of versatility ( similar to elmod fusion pro and IBU3 ) and easy to set up. o-
Cheers
Steve
Hi SteveImagethank you for the kind words. I would gladly try out an ASP but I've always seen them sold out or not available. I've heard many good things about the board and they do many nice instructural videos on YouTube. I will be installing a Clark tk60 board in this one. The beutepanzer look is something that I like. Last night I started chipping and weathering and will continue that tonight.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

This evening I was able to take a couple of photos of the Lee as its currently constructed. Just did some chipping and weathering to the paint with some mig Jimenez products.

Do need to get some electronics

All the bits and pieces needed to finish the details are on the way from Mr Forgebear so I'll attach the tools and lights horn etc next week.Image

Thanks as always for looking in....ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
nexusys
Lance Corporal

Post by nexusys »

good work on weathering there Carl! I like the rusts.

Just wondering, ever thought of doing hairspray techniques? i'm still doing a bit of research about it.

i probably missing some information here, Did Germans took over American tanks at one point? i like the Germans marking on it. So random :thumbup:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Got to say Carl, that looks fantastic, one to be proud of bud :clap: it's nice to see customised builds from the norm, it gives you a sense of achievement for all your hard work :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

nexusys wrote:good work on weathering there Carl! I like the rusts.

Just wondering, ever thought of doing hairspray techniques? i'm still doing a bit of research about it.

i probably missing some information here, Did Germans took over American tanks at one point? i like the Germans marking on it. So random Image
Thank you! I've done the sponge chipping mostly and this time I painted a lighter shade of olive green dabbed over the hull randomly and then added the rust over it. Oil washes for streaking for the worn and used look.

The German army would use any functioning vehicle during the war and make it thier own. Image

When the Lee came onto the battlefield the sponson mounted 75mm gun could practically take out any German Panzer in the field. This was very common practice during the war.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Model Builder 4 wrote:Got to say Carl, that looks fantastic, one to be proud of bud :clap: it's nice to see customised builds from the norm, it gives you a sense of achievement for all your hard work Image

Cheers, Lee.
Thanks so much LeeImage

Return to “Heng Long Builds”