KING TIGER 211,506 S.PZ.ABT,GERONSWEILER,DEC '44

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: KING TIGER 211,506 S.PZ.ABT,GERONSWEILER,DEC '44

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Just got the MG set up painted.
An H/L MG dressed up, mato mount, and a gurtsak from the spares box.
Not as flash as a Shumo version but a lot less heartbreaking if it breaks !
Attachments
P1240044.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Post by Abe Froman »

Herms, the King Tiger is looking very good. Will be watching this one.
D
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks Mr Froman, its coming along ok.

Got the wash on and a small amount of chipping.
Keeping in mind the likely manufacture date & delivery to the combat unit in time for action during the operation in the Ardenne's
it would not be that badly savaged by wear & tear.
The pictures show it had mudguards on some of both sides, but I just dont like them !
For an authentic representation I'm off the mark without guards, but a King Tiger just looks better without them.
I dry-fitted the tracks and made adjustments to the tensioner position accordingly.
Now its almost finished, I still need to gather actual metal spare track links for the turret(not the crap H/L ones with deep ejector marks & half hole pins) , do the 2+11 markings, then add dark/muddy pigments to suit the pre frozen winter slop.
I might try using MIG 3007 Dark Earth pigment with a gloss Burnt Umber & diluted PVA to get the appropriate look.
There is no evidence of any white wash over these machines during the Ardennes operation, who knows why, but to bring a cold look to a summer camo'd tank that looks close to the period pictures, the theme should be clinging mud.
Attachments
P1260047.JPG
P1280054.JPG
P1250043.JPG
P1280053.JPG
P1280058.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Looks Great Herman!

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Great detail work!
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Very nice looking camouflage on this tank.
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Where did you get the gurtsack? I use Trumpeter MGs and mounts, but they didn't make the gurtsacks.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon, Herman,
The General sends his Happy New Years Regards! ;o) Also, your Tamiya King Tiger is a Work of Art! Subtly and masterfully done.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Maccrage wrote:Where did you get the gurtsack? I use Trumpeter MGs and mounts, but they didn't make the gurtsacks.
No idea! Four of them came in amongst a load of bits I got with the tank from the estate sale.
I have a spare one if you want it, pm your address & I will mail it if you like.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Turret numbers on............

I've also laid a base for pigment mud to be applied once the MIG 3007 Dark Earth comes back into stock :/
Used a Vallejo Splash Mud 73.802 but its a bit less easy to get the right look. It will be a good base by which to overlay a pigment coat to get the texture and look I want.
The pictures of this tank show heavy dark mud and rain soaked paint, but there is no way I'm painting a tank gloss to depict a rain soaked surface !!
Attachments
P2030050.JPG
P2030053.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Tamiya Builds”