KING TIGER 211,506 S.PZ.ABT,GERONSWEILER,DEC '44

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: FIRST GO AT THE NARNIA THAT IS TAMIYA

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Oh I know I will get it in the end, its just a bit daunting not having basic experience with the Tamiya platform plus having to undo existing problems in order to get a start point.
I found the track tensioner system buggered as well.

The 4th picture of a model is actually the interpretation of this real machine before it was captured & remarked.
If I choose this version, at least I can hide much of the hull damage with Zimmerit!
Attachments
Tiger_II_tank_3.jpg
Tiger_II_tank_3.jpg (66.05 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w6PkViRnCQ

Its looking good for this version, but as it would have been before capture.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

A renovators dream !
Off with the fake mounting points for the spare track links. I have a top quality set from H/L to fit so it at least looks right !
I will hit the entire structure with the sanding tool tomorrow during the day.
Depending on the paint & excess glue & debris removal, this King Cat may get the melt-application of zimmerit. :think:
Attachments
PA260038.JPG
PA260037.JPG
PA260036.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

If anyone needs me, I will be sanding ............. :/ :-<
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

This sure is a restoration project. The old paint is enamel, & melts under the sanding tool !! :wtf:
Got the turret clean and ready to place the spare track hangers. Loaders hatch replaced and hinged.
All the internals have been removed to allow tightening up of all relevant system components, and the barrel needed to be run across an industrial wire buffer to remove the paint !
I've removed the failed track tensioner,busted almost all the puny philips head screws that retain it, and for the life of me cannot see how its supposed to work. Springs & key-hole idler arms :/ :/ I am contemplating a better engineered solution from Taigen to get the idlers to adjust.
Removed the broken exhausts and will fit metal Taigen versions. Rear plate is partially cleaned, and the Taigen bits placed unsecured.
Hull is sanded, filled, and sanded again, still a bit to do on it, but its not far away.
Going to replace the lifting handles on the front hatches, and do all the required welds on all joints.
There is a lot more to this one than I figured, but all the basics are there.
Still got to get the roadwheels out of the suspension arms, but axle shafts are lavishly coated in Tamiya loctite.
Ahead is the zimmerit coating, handy to cover the mass of blemishes from old works.
Got a bit on !!!
Attachments
Nude Barrel
Nude Barrel
PA280038.JPG
PA280037.JPG
PA280036.JPG
PA270038.JPG
PA270037 (2).JPG
PA270036 (2).JPG
PA270036.JPG
PA270037.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Nice work Herman!

I can vouch for the Schumo king tiger idler adjust.
Not cheap but works well.

Henntec do one for Tamiya KT as well.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks Mr Lav, appreciate the heads up.
On these Tamiya things I consider myself a novice !
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi Herman, great job there.

Im using a henntek track tensioner. Works good too, so you have more options.

In the king tiger I found a gearbox brace helps, and also the elevatior arm worths to replace it with metal.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Hi Herman, great job there.

Im using a henntek track tensioner. Works good too, so you have more options.

In the king tiger I found a gearbox brace helps, and also the elevatior arm worths to replace it with metal.
Cheers Mr Rad, it does appear that a henntec adjuster is the best way to go.
As for that elevation arm, the ball end is plastic on the end of a wire arm, pretty much a standard servo style link. There is a lot of barrel bouncy in it which is awaful.
I will be reassembling the turret next so that will need to be addressed.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Wow Herman looking good! Makes me want to start on mine again.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”