Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here, the outer defensive skirt is complete. As an incidental, for those who've not noticed that English is still a Germanic language at its core (the Anglo-Saxons were- of course, German). 'Skirt comes from Anglo-Saxon 'scyrte';
Old English scyrte, of Germanic origin; related to Old Norse skyrta (compare with skirt), Dutch schort, German Schürze ‘apron’, also to short; probably from a base meaning ‘short garment’ (OED). .'Shirt' also has the same root.. B|
Just a wee tidbit for the general behoof. :D
Tamiya Pz IV turret Schurzen
Tamiya Pz IV turret Schurzen
Then I put together the odds and ends of turret I've accumulated so far (with help!), just to see what could be glued in place immediately.
Tamiya Pz IV some turret components
Tamiya Pz IV some turret components
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

...and this is what they look like when bonded in place.
Tamiya Pz IV Turret components added
Tamiya Pz IV Turret components added
and seen from a slightly different angle:
Tamiya Pz IV turret with some added components
Tamiya Pz IV turret with some added components
Clearly, I can't bond the skirt to the support brackets until the Storage box ( still a desideratum), doors, and other support bits are in place.

The turret is beginning to take shape and, compared with some models it has quite a lot of individual bits. If I use Tamiya elevation, recoil, and turret rotation motors, i shall probably have to go the whole hog, and somehow acquire
the MF and DMD units as cheaply as possible (maybe used.). If not, I may complete this externally, but then modify it (or a heavily modded HL turret) to work with airsoft and a TK60 from Clark.
In any event, this is now going to have to be shelved until after Christmas. :think:.. :( but that's like going cold turkey (and I only like it cooked :haha: ).
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Looking good 43rd
As you are so knowledgeable about languages, why do the Welsh spell Taxi as Taksi when virtually every where else on the planet spells it bloody TAXI
And while I’m on it, which bright spark decided to spell ambulance with a “W” in it..
Did you spot my pent up rage at my Welsh ancestry.
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

Jebes that Schurzen looks weird without the rear box :D

And in Denmark we say TAXA :P
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Roy, I scrounged a couple of things that will help you in your build (not everything you need, I'm afraid, but they''ll at least get you further along). Turns out I've got the storage bin and attachment pieces that I'm not going to use. I had it saved for a Tiger (P) build, but am going to use a resin bin to help balance out the turret, so I won't need it

I don't have the door parts, but I do have a set of workable metal ones for a Heng Long. Unfortunately, they are earlier ones that have the vision port and pistol port flap...neither of which were on the late Panzer IV's. I don't know if you can grind off the details so as to get flat faces, but they're yours if you want to try.

Nothing for the gun or front of the turret, either. Sorry. Let me know if you want the doors or not, and I'll get the bin out to you in the next day or two. -Mike
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Arnie_DK wrote:Jebes that Schurzen looks weird without the rear box :D

And in Denmark we say TAXA :P
In Estonia its 'Takso', which we could have got from the Danes at the same time we gave the Danes their flag. :D
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Hehe, I'm glad I said virtually
Sorry for the OT.
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

sassgrunt wrote:Roy, I scrounged a couple of things that will help you in your build (not everything you need, I'm afraid, but they''ll at least get you further along). Turns out I've got the storage bin and attachment pieces that I'm not going to use. I had it saved for a Tiger (P) build, but am going to use a resin bin to help balance out the turret, so I won't need it

I don't have the door parts, but I do have a set of workable metal ones for a Heng Long. Unfortunately, they are earlier ones that have the vision port and pistol port flap...neither of which were on the late Panzer IV's. I don't know if you can grind off the details so as to get flat faces, but they're yours if you want to try.

Nothing for the gun or front of the turret, either. Sorry. Let me know if you want the doors or not, and I'll get the bin out to you in the next day or two. -Mike

That's a 'Yes, Please', Mike to the storage bin and attachments. :thumbup: I may even make or modify some doors. If I can get the "C" sprue, they're on that. Any surplus, or duplicated parts, can then be offered to someone with a similar (if half-baked :D ) project in mind. I'm not worried about gun or mantlet yet. I might even try modding the HL F2 to fit...until I come to my senses, and buy the real deal. :shh:
I'll be away at various times over the Christmas period, and so the Tamiya side cutters, and the Contact Pro will be left in frustrated isolation. But then, I might just take the Asiatam StuG IV kit with me...if it arrives in time.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

midlife306 wrote:Looking good 43rdImageImage
As you are so knowledgeable about languages, why do the Welsh spell Taxi as Taksi when virtually every where else on the planet spells it bloody TAXIImage
And while I’m on it, which bright spark decided to spell ambulance with a “W” in it..
Did you spot my pent up rage at my Welsh ancestry.
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gaelic languages are not phonetic, and so the written form rarely corresponds to the spoken form, unlike with Germanic languages. On the face of it (from those expensive roadsigns!..and we have them here too in the Highlands; also at great expense)...on the face of it, Welsh (Anglo-Saxon for 'foreigner'.. :haha: ) has no vowels; but that is not the case at all. It just appears so..
I'm guessing- and there's no proof- but 'Welsh' was probably the 'Brythonic' or 'Q' gaelic language spoken by all the 'celtic' tribes here on the whole of this British Isle.. 'Britain' (AKA: England, Scotland and Wales) That includes the Picts. 'P' Gaelic arrived in Scotland with the Irish, and 'Scots' ( germanic dialect) with Northumbrian Anglo-Saxons. Scots Gaelic is just as impossible to read as Welsh, and even tricky for native speakers :haha:
You should be proud of being a 'Wealas' (Old German for 'foreigner') in your own country, Wayne. The Biased Broadcasting Corporation is attempting to deny the indigenous peoples of these isles their indigenous status. Even descendants of the "Beaker folk' (early post Ice-Age European settlers) are just 'immigrants. Och well. Ok, well it's back to the safe territory of tanks... Ah, but before I do, why are the Police 'Heddlu' in Wales but Police, Polis, Politie, Polizei everywhere else? :think: :haha: Yaki da !!! (iechyd da!!) Failte!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Roy, Do you know on what Tamiya Panzer 4 sprue the Radio Aerial deflector can be found as the Heng Long one is completely wrong and the Taigen one which is close to being correct is not available as a "Spare" part?
Its one of those details that doesn't matter until you see a PZ4 with it in place and then it just nags at me :lolno:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Other Builds”