Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks a lot B-Man for the shots of your tastefully kitted out Pz IV :thumbup: Is the zimmerit coating from Atak? I downloaded the Pz IV manual in pdf format, but saw no listing for zimmerit in the parts section. My King Tiger came with a zimmerit option, though,but I thought Tamiya hadn't produced one for the Pz IV. Anyway, nice job :D

Anyone who's curious about how the Tamiya Ausf J goes together, or which bits go where can use this link to download the build manual. I've download (free..Pdf) manuals for Tamiya tanks from this site before. They're Germany's main Tamiya outlet.
http://www.tamiya.de/CommonFiles/Dickie ... eitung.pdf
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Roy if you go to the "Download section" on the top bar you will find most Tamiya Tank manuals ready to download,
I am watching this thread very closely ready to steal as many good ideas as possible @)
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:Roy if you go to the "Download section" on the top bar you will find most Tamiya Tank manuals ready to download,
I am watching this thread very closely ready to steal as many good ideas as possible @)
Shaun.
Feel free to add and take, Shaun :D Mostly, I do check our ever burgeoning treasury of collected wisdom before posting, but in this instance I overlooked the 'Downloads' section. However, I did want to post the Dickie link anyway (nothing rude..) , for those who might be unaware of their dominant position in matters Tamiya. Maybe they're the reason I've been unable to acquire sprue "D" from Axels's. There was a mention here lately of monopolist behaviour by a certain German company..bringing the old jackboot down on smaller rivals... :eh:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Anyone contemplating a Pz IV build should scour through the Forum archives first. Here you'll find pioneering builds and accounts of problem solving. One notable thread, by Philipat, is also one of the more epic ones. It's a must see for Pz IV fans:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13969&hilit=Philipat
There were many more, including one from KT Robb, but the accompanying pictures for many of these threads have kicked the 'Photo-bucket', so to speak :'( :-< That awful company has reduced many of RCTW's archived contributions to text only with this gut-wrenching warning sign: (meaning your photographic digital life has gone down the pan).................. :O :O >:<
Photo-Fu**et
Photo-Fu**et
Photo-fucket.jpg (7.04 KiB) Viewed 4418 times
but at least the epic offering from Philipat survives intact. :thumbup:
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Thanks for the kind words gents. The zimmerit was "lovingly hand crafted" with milliput rolled into thin sheets and then stamped with an old plastic levering tool from a smartphone opening kit that I sanded to shape. I researched long and hard to try and avoid doing it but from what I could see all panzers from that stage of the war would have had zimm applied so I had to bite the bullet if I wanted to keep it reasonably accurate. It wasn't that difficult to do but took a while due to the tool I was using. A roller or Atak kit would have sped things up but I'm happy with the result.

I'm not usually a Tamiya man but I was lucky to snag this one off eBay as a half built kit for a bargain and was very impressed by the quality overall. It was a nice kit to build (or finish building in my case). For the retail price of these kits though I would have thought things like working lights and opening hatches would have been standard. The lack of a zimm option for an Ausf J is disappointing and no side schutzen is a missed opportunity. That said it's a solid and reliable model, a fun build, and a great runner.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Post by rolling-thunder »

One of the other suggestions for Zimmerit is Magicsculp over Milliput. Cost wise, I don't know how the two match up for what you will use? I recommend reading this build & his use of Magicsculp viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8350&start=320
I am the Law!
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

I have never come across magic sculpt in Australia but after a quick google it looks pretty similar to milliput and I'm sure there are probably a few others on the market too. To do my zimm I rolled out the putty into a thin sheet and it goes quite a long way. Whichever product is cheapest and most readily available should do the job.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

You were very lucky to find a half-built example on eBay :sick: , B-man.. Full-Option kits go for crazy money over here. I suppose this is where the demarcation line begins between models for adaptation (Heng Long/Taigen) and those with a pedigree: Tamiya's products. The gap is narrowing with HL's T90, and improved versions of other models, but it looks as if Tamiya's visits to Saumer and elsewhere with a tape measure, have paid off. :thumbup:
The more accurate the 'model is, the less like a 'toy' it becomes. I suspect most members here have a collection of (ever more accurate) Model tanks, rather than 'Toys'... (but on a bad day I suspect that's what the irate partner will deem them... when the latest addition has been surreptitiously sneaked into the house :shifty: @) :haha: )
Here's an early build thread with pictures I've just unearthed in the RCTW archives for 2010, and it makes an interesting reference to a Panzer IV with only three return rollers:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4632
Check it out before the pics disappear into the ether.. :problem: .. :thumbup:
Suitably intrigued, I found a few pics of late model Ausf. J's with only three return rollers:
Roller challenged Panzer IV ausf J
Roller challenged Panzer IV ausf J
Three roller Panzer
Three roller Panzer
PzIV  economy three roller version
PzIV economy three roller version
Pz IV ausf J three roller version.jpg (13.8 KiB) Viewed 4367 times
Sooo...if you're short of return rollers, this is the version to build :thumbup: It also makes for a neater, less controversial line up :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Casting a more critical eye over Pz IVs in 1/16 scale, I noticed this anomaly on the front left bulkhead of the Taigen/ Heng Long upper Hull. I really don't know what happens behind this slice of cylinder, or why the Panzer IV needed it, but it appears on every version, I think. Unfortunately, the embedded, moulded-in version on the Taigen Upper hull, seems to have shrunk drastically in the wash, so to speak. :eh: :eh: Maybe it's some sort of shielded vent.. :think:
Compare:
Tamiya-Taigen upper Hull- another detail difference
Tamiya-Taigen upper Hull- another detail difference
The Taigen/HL hull (top) represents the half cylindrical part (anyone know what it's for?) next to the wooden block, as the size of a tin of beans. The Tamiya hull (below) gets it right.
Here is is on the real thing, in a pic I took of Bovington's Pz IV mish mash (part indicated by red arrow..)
Panzer IV left front bulkhead detail
Panzer IV left front bulkhead detail
Tamiya's part comes off a sprue, so if you want to use it instead of the shrivelled moulded on Taigen part, then get your saw out, if you want your HL/Taigen hull to look more like a good model. and less like a toy... :shifty:
or..buy the Tamiya upper hull. :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Well, Roy, you've convinced me that if I build another P4 I'll go with the Tamiya kit. That seems to be the most accurate total package right out of the box, eh?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “Other Builds”