Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

This tiny, and insubstantial, bracket is what has been delaying the assembly of the major turret parts. It's actually quite inexpensive, but very difficult to obtain...
Tamiya Pz IV recoil bracket
Tamiya Pz IV recoil bracket
..and this is what will remedy the barrel droop on the wee beastie, seen in this updated shot of my Pz IV progress ..
Tamiya Pz IV- progress update
Tamiya Pz IV- progress update
Of course, although the exterior is almost complete, and has had one coat of Dunkelgelb (apart from the sprocket covers). It will eventually have three colour camouflage, and the accessories (shovel etc) painted in appropriate
colours..
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Back to the innards...
Now that I have the recoil bracket, I can fit the recoil and barrel, and then graft the whole assembly onto the front of the turret.
First the recoil bracket has to be fixed to the mantlet:
Tamiya Pz IV- fitting the recoil bracket
Tamiya Pz IV- fitting the recoil bracket
The are the key parts of the Gun assembly:
Key components of barrel assembly
Key components of barrel assembly
The two screws holding the bracket to mantlet are not fully tight. I've found that by removing one, it's possible to clamp the end of the gun (with a glued black plastic bracket), and wiggle it into position by moving the recoil unit slightly to one side to provide access. With bracket fully detached, you almost need three hands to steady the mantlet, hold the gun breech in place, and then screw the midge sized retaining screw into the recoil bracket; the one that holds the barrel in place. :problem: That's why I prefer to have the bracket partially attached to the mantlet.. :yawn:
Tamiya Pz IV- barrel screwed to Recoil bracket..
Tamiya Pz IV- barrel screwed to Recoil bracket..
I put a drop of threadlock on the end of the minuscule screw that secures the black plastic gun breech to the recoil bracket. In the process, it also grabbed a bit of my woolly jumper. Och well... Note the absence of a Flash cable sticking out of the breech. That's because I've not yet decided I'll go down the full Tamiya electrics route... :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

These then are the key constituents of the Turret itself. Note the white piece of styrene on the right. Normally, in a Tamiya kit the turret has two option supports for the space where the commander will 'sit'/ 'stand' (with his scary half torso.. :S ). There's one oval plastic part for non-battlers, and another for the battle option. In this instance, I have neither, since these particular parts were in a bag I didn't (or couldn't order). Next to the styrene, there's a battle part from a Tamiya Panther, just to give me an idea; as I'm going to have to make my own part for the Commander to plonk his non-existent a*se on..
Key Turret components and lack of seat for Commander
Key Turret components and lack of seat for Commander
Now, after a quick recce, I've marked the styrene out:
Roughing out a commander seat
Roughing out a commander seat
. If you ever have toenails like kevlar, these Tamiya side cutters are very sharp, and up to the job :haha:
Commander seat- or base honed and toned
Commander seat- or base honed and toned
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Nothing fancy, but the plate is a perfect fit..that's what counts. :thumbup:
Tamiya Pz IV- Commander base fitted
Tamiya Pz IV- Commander base fitted
Now that this part's out of the way, I'm able to glue the whole gun assembly and turret front plate in place:
Whole Gun assembly glued to the Turret shell
Whole Gun assembly glued to the Turret shell
With that in place, it's necessary to fix the recoil assembly spring to the roof of the turret. That can be a tad fiddly, especially when it then has to connect back to the recoil bracket...and it's usually worth at least three serious expletives :-< :D
Also, at this stage the white (ball and socket) elevation lever has to be looped through a wee hole in the recoil bracket. Then...when the turret floor/elevation unit is finally screwed in place, the elevation lever has to be pressed onto the brass knob (ball) of the black (cheapo, apparently) elevation arm of the elevation unit. This can also generate a few choice curses.
Finally they're both in place:
Recoil spring and elevation arm connected..
Recoil spring and elevation arm connected..
I must say, the angle of the arm looks a bit extreme, but then I didn't design it. Let's hope it doesn't detach itself, like knackered hip, under moderate loading.. :lolno: :eh:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Roy that really looks most excellent :thumbup: Nice trick with the commanders seat or stand with styrene. It's really coming together now. That arm with ball socket may look somewhat out of the norm but I'm sure with Tamiya's engineers it will stand the test of time :wave:

If not it will give you something to tinker with :haha:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

..And following on from all that, the exterior of the tank is now actually complete! Complete apart from camouflage, decals, weathering, and some cables made of cheap string , that is.. :D
Here's a visual progress update As usual, Click to ENLARGE :
Tamiya Pz IV- Progress update. Exterior complete..ish
Tamiya Pz IV- Progress update. Exterior complete..ish
Oh, as an incidental. Generally, I'm vary careful with things and I don't like them to break (except eggs over a frying pan). BUT, I dropped the turret the other day, and much to my surprise, it bounced and nothing broke off it...not even a wee bit of schurzen.
Perhaps I was wrong to think Tamiya hulls and turrets really too fragile for robust treatment :think: :)
Oh, yes..as a postscript, i forgot to mention that the Sprocket covers are held in place by 4mm magnets (1mm thick). They come with one already self-adhesive side and are, so far, nice and sticky. Very attractive :thumbup:
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

43rdRecceReg wrote:With that in place, it's necessary to fix the recoil assembly spring to the roof of the turret. That can be a tad fiddly, especially when it then has to connect back to the recoil bracket...and it's usually worth at least three serious expletives :-< :D
Only three? I've been led to believe that Scots are as colourful (and generous!) with their invective as Aussies. ;)

Another successful build Roy, glad to see it all together with all the functional guts installed. What are your plans for the brains? Are you sourcing a DMD/MFU or are you looking further afield?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I do like your attention to detail, I am pleased that you have left off the Schurtzen covering the wheels and suspension especially as you have gone to the trouble of fitting the Correct "Late" Rear Idlers and Front Sprockets,
In fact all I would point out :haha: :haha: is the temporary omission of the Spare wheel carrier retaining bar.
I imagine that will be fitted at the same time as the "Aber" Tool clamps? :lolno:
Now do you see why I never submit photographs?
Truly it is a lovely job of work and you should be very proud of it. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

jarndice wrote: Now do you see why I never submit photographs?
I think you should share your photos here too. The same way you benefit from the photos and hard work from the people here, you could help the others too. Quid pro quo.

I am sure your tanks are amazing and I am not a rivet counter, so I wont be spotting mistakes. First because I dont do it, and second because even if they are there, I wont notice, lol.

Also I would be more than happy to see the focke wulf you said you have. Im beginning in the world of planes and all the info and photos will be apreciated.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:And if I can post pictures of me in elf pants while sporting a fat belly, I'm sure it's about time you entered Tank Of The Month.
Oh I need to see this!!! :D The Elf pants I mean ;)
Some of Shauns work, would be nice too though ;)

But keep them pics coming! I love following you progress!

Return to “Other Builds”