1/16 RC Vandra M7 Priest SP Howitzer conversion build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Vandra M7 Priest SP Howitzer conversion build

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

The rotation gear, home made elevation and the Heng Long electronics are installed. With such shape and limited space compared to a regular tank, the arrangement is nothing to be proud of, other than maybe having been able to fit it all, somehow. There is no smoke unit but the speaker and receiver are in the back, which required me to extend all the cabling. Ideally, another trap door can be made in the back. Let's say I did not make this vehicle to show off my electronics and gear skills...
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Carl will recognize the battery he made me buy for the Nashorn, essential here too as nothing else would fit on top of the rotation unit. Thank you my friend.
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
I think those Mato lights are amazing, quite powerful and realistic.
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Elevation works ok, rotation could be improved, but it not like i will use these a lot. The shape of the vehicle makes everything complicated with no easy access to anything, it is obviously not as sturdy as a turreted tank. A wrong movement manipulating this tank and the gun, a fender, light, visor or spare track bin, etc can easily break. But it does look good and needs a lot of care.
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Next step is the weathering of the tracks.

Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Lovely bit of work to finally see it "alive" Louis. It's amazing that you could fit as much as you did in there to make the gun rotate and elevate Great little battery for sure. The lights look spectacular and really look the part.

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thank you Carl and everyone for your interest

Here the Mato tracks are installed for engine trials. There were weathered a bit with Mig rust mixture on the metal connectors only and then dry brushed with Dark Steel pigments also on the connector. They are a bit shiny and new but that should wear off. These are solid and realistic tracks and hope they will run well with all the mods I did to the vehicle.
Mato tracks on M7 Priest
Mato tracks on M7 Priest
Mato tracks on M7 Priest
Mato tracks on M7 Priest
Mato tracks on M7 Priest
Mato tracks on M7 Priest
Mato tracks on M7 Priest
Mato tracks on M7 Priest
Metal hand wheels were installed on the gun, it's much better now I think.
Vandra M7 Priest conversion
The M7 Priest as it stands today. On the outside, the front storage and tools still need to be installed, as well as the M2 Machine gun. The tracks are too loose and I am still waiting for the Mato idler adjusters to fix that. So I have not finished the back plate of the vehicle yet either. But it is getting close to the finish line.
Next steps are running trials, and then I will finish the interior, with driver position detailing, the ammos and the M1 carbines.
Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Louis this has been one of my favorites for many reasons. The subject matter is very unique. Your personal touches are so nicely done. The paint looks excellent and those tracks have come to life.

These plastic tracks with the metal end caps are in my opinion as good as it gets. My set was shipped for about $30.00 US from Alibaba and they are just outstanding so Louis thank you for introducing them to me.

Well worth the needed mods to get them to run true like Mr Painless suggested

The dry brushing is a really nice touch that I now incorporate into my builds.

You know the build has been done to an exceedingly high standard when you can zoom in this close and wonder if it's the real thing!

Carl
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thank you very much,

Today, I worked on the ammo and M1 carbines.

I gave the M7 the honour of a full load of ammo. This is the look I wanted, ammo mostly on containers with a few ready to fire rounds . War pictures show these empty black containers pilling up all around vehicles after a fire mission.
Vandra M7 Priest with Shapeways containers
I did not sand the Shapeways containers because the real fibreglass anmo containers are also quite rough. However, I should have sanded them because it was very difficult to make the strait yellow lines on them. Decals would not adhere either. Still need to correct a few issues now that I see them on close up pictures. The lines seemed pretty strait with the naked eye, now I see corrections to make. It will take a few minutes.
Considering this is 1/16 scale, I am pleased with the results. The scratch building and extra details improve the look and accuracy.
View of the top of the howitzer and sighting apparatus. I saw in pictures that originals are very complex and made in brass, difficult to reproduce accurately in this scale.
Here is a good close up view of the top of the Shapeways containers and the Vandra ammunitions coming with the kit. Sadly, I did not find any markings in 1/16 scale for US 105mm ammunition, it's all German or 1/35 stuff out there. I would appreciate any tips if someone know of a maker.
The M1 carbines have been given their first round at painting. I can see quite a few things to correct and improve on them with those close ups. These carbines are the kind of small details that add a lot of authenticity to the vehicle for a few dollars.
Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Stunning work Louis the shells and cases look spectacular. What a difference with them added. Makes this look better than before. The carbines look right at home in the fighting compartment.

Carl
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The word 'awesome' sounds completely inappropriate, this is well beyond such an understatement. The build, the detail and that stunning paintwork all come together in one top notch model. It looks absolutely real, which takes some doing to achieve.

Fantastic job! :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

fantastic, :clap: many of the photos look like the real thing, its way beyond anything I could hope to achieve,
its a stunner.

regards john :thumbup:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

A truly salacious machine Sir.
Such a high level of finish and realism.
:clap: :clap:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

An absolute work of art, Louis. I love the photos taken inside the fighting compartment; it's only when you see the background gives you a sense of scale that you realise it's a model and not the real thing.

Return to “Other Builds”