1/16 RC Vandra M7 Priest SP Howitzer conversion build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Vandra M7 Priest SP Howitzer conversion build

Post by c.rainford73 »

Louis I am so impressed with this model. Your hard work is really paying off. It looks fantastic The paint is outstanding

Super job
Tanks alot.... :wave:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thank you,

Here are a couple of close up pictures of the finished Shapeways M3 "look alike" early suspension. Lots of efforts, modifications, sanding and polishing were required for the integration and for my personal taste but I am very satisfied with the end results.
M3 Shapeways suspension
M3 Shapeways suspension
M3 Shapeways suspension
M3 Shapeways suspension
Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Such a realistic looking machine. I see you have used your amazing subtle weathering techniques again and have brought this model to life.

The suspension looks excellent Louis

You are also quite a photographer
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thanks Carl,

After polishing this thing for 2 months now, I do not dare put any dirt on it, or risk a weathering fiasco. I'm keeping it safe. I have ruined enough kits in the past to know my limits in that area. Let's say it just landed in Normandy...

Thanks, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I see the Mato sprockets fitted. Are you using the stock idler mounts or the upgraded tensioner adjuster system? I say this because after fitting the Mato tracks on the Lee I find I need the adjustment to make the tacks fit as needed. Well done

Carl
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

This looks amazing. the attention to detail is incredible.
On your comment you are scared to use it..... come on, its a tank. It's born to do war :)
People say the same thing about classics cars etc, but they are built to do a job, it be a shame not to use it after all the hard work.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

No slight on any other tankers, but they will have to do some awesome work to beat this to TOTM!

Looks fantastic.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thank you everyone,
c.rainford73 wrote:I see the Mato sprockets fitted. Are you using the stock idler mounts or the upgraded tensioner adjuster system? I say this because after fitting the Mato tracks on the Lee I find I need the adjustment to make the tacks fit as needed. Well doneImage

Carl
Hi Carl, I have not received the Mato tensioner adjuster yet from Asia, it will be installed once I get it. The Mato tracks are loose but become too tight if I remove one link. The tracks are wider than the Heng Long so I hope this will not cause issues with the narrower road wheels. Otherwise, it will be Heng Long tracks to run, and Mato for display...
Will01Capri wrote:On your comment you are scared to use it..... come on, its a tank. It's born to do war People say the same thing about classics cars etc, but they are built to do a job, it be a shame not to use it after all the hard work
Hi Will01Capri,
I meant adding layers of painted dirt on the suspension and tank. Ho it will run, with elevation and some gun rotation. I will try to post a video once it is finished and in action.

Regards, Louis
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Louis,
I run 'Maxene' with Mato tracks, sprockets and a modded HL\Mato idler set. I had issues using the HL road wheels and idlers with the wider Mato tracks until I used Mikes Idler fix. You using the Mato idlers will achieve the same effect as the 'fix' and allow you smooth operation of all the running gear. I am soundly impressed by your build on this kit. It is a benchmark for any future resin kits that I build ( an M10 is on the list for next Spring )
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,
PainlessWolf wrote:You using the Mato idlers will achieve the same effect as the 'fix' and allow you smooth operation of all the running gear
Thank you Painless for your experience, I agree and with that in mind and while still waiting for the idler tensioner, I decided to replicate something I saw somewhere using the Mato idlers. As I do not like their non authentic center section, I created a new cap from the Heng long idler and fitter it to the Mato wheel. Although it is not the poked model I initially wanted, I saw reference picture with poked road wheels and non poked idlers. In any cases, it is realistic that road wheel get replaced and types get mixed. Now, I hope I won't get any bad surprises with that Mato adjustable tensioner... In any cases, there is always a solution.
Mato Sherman idler with Heng Long center section
Mato Sherman idler with Heng Long center section
The gun is installed and details are being added. However, I did not like the look of the Shapeways hand wheels (right) and I started to replace them by metal hand wheels ordered from ebay seller Dioramaparts, see the one on the left. I think metal hand wheel look better and more authentic. I will replace the other two by metal ones of similar size. I find that 3D printing is not the solution for everything. Doing these small upgrades are for fun... upgrading the upgrade kit of a conversion kit...
M7 Priest with Shapeways details
M7 Priest with Shapeways details
Regards, Louis

Return to “Other Builds”