1944 Tiger 1 ( Late )

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1944 Tiger 1 ( Late )

Post by PainlessWolf »

Carl!,
Just Painless. *chuckles* Robert is a good fellow who lives overseas. His warehouse here in the States must be a Tankers wonderland. The gearboxes in Mikes Tiger are ETO brands.. That tank will run well through anything with those motors and drive train. I'm glad you enjoy the site. Just about anything Schumo related can be found. If not, ask Robert and he will have the skinny on it.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

The mail has been productive of late. Yesterday saw Mikes gifted plastic Panther barrel mounts ( mit der chain ) arrive and today saw my new 'unbreakable' drill bits and more of the turret detail show up from Shapeways. Tonight. I got a little more work done and the turret is complete except for one more detail piece routed from Germany. Pics:
Attachments
Commander H(eadless) Torso tries out the seat for height.
Commander H(eadless) Torso tries out the seat for height.
Overhead view of the installed Commanders 'perch'  24 hour Loc-Tite holds it in place.
Overhead view of the installed Commanders 'perch' 24 hour Loc-Tite holds it in place.
Loc-Tite Ultra Gel on the sanded contact points sees the cupola securely remounted.  Periscopes add some nice detail.
Loc-Tite Ultra Gel on the sanded contact points sees the cupola securely remounted. Periscopes add some nice detail.
Hatch closeup.  I also added a washer to give the hatch retaining spring a bit more tension
Hatch closeup. I also added a washer to give the hatch retaining spring a bit more tension
Hatch and periscopes painted and detail bits added like forehead pads and a cushion for the hatch itself.
Hatch and periscopes painted and detail bits added like forehead pads and a cushion for the hatch itself.
A spare and resized King Tiger hatch handle fits the bill.
A spare and resized King Tiger hatch handle fits the bill.
Drill Hog is serious about their guarantee
Drill Hog is serious about their guarantee
Solid Moly drill bits and a neat little brass Yankee Drill
Solid Moly drill bits and a neat little brass Yankee Drill
Clear resin periscopes from Shapeways
Clear resin periscopes from Shapeways
Productive Post
Productive Post
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Nothing in the mail today so naturally I ordered a couple more things for this Tiger. Half the fun of doing a build ( to me anyway ) is waiting for the neat bits and parts for it to come in. Tonight I cleaned up the Tamiya Commander and got him ready for paint. After that, I got started on some of the new detail bits for the deck. Pics:
Attachments
...and ended up with a three piece barrel brace that should pass under paint.
...and ended up with a three piece barrel brace that should pass under paint.
Started out with one of Mikes spare Panther braces and Diorama Freaks soft cast Tiger barrel brace...
Started out with one of Mikes spare Panther braces and Diorama Freaks soft cast Tiger barrel brace...
Spare Tamiya Commander roughed out for paint
Spare Tamiya Commander roughed out for paint
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

PainlessWolf wrote:The mail has been productive of late. Yesterday saw Mikes gifted plastic Panther barrel mounts ( mit der chain ) arrive and today saw my new 'unbreakable' drill bits and more of the turret detail show up from Shapeways. Tonight. I got a little more work done and the turret is complete except for one more detail piece routed from Germany. Pics:
Mr Painless the commanders seat is excellent Image Nice to see the glass inside the commanders cupola too. I have the glass installed in the Panzer 38t cupola and it makes a big difference in detail. I see Mike's panther bits have reached you as the barrel rest looks the part for sure now with the chain setup.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, my Friend,
Up early with some kind of allergin thing going on so it's a perfect time to reply to posts *chuckles* Carl, that seat really works out for half figures. I am going to find and save up a few for future builds. Shapeways has really turned into a thing, a useful thing with all of the scale tank parts available on there now. Those periscopes were 13.00 US and saved me time and money finding them elsewhere. I am going to start adding them to all of my armor since it is so simple now to do so. The barrel brace turned out OK. Now to locate where it goes on the rear deck. Have a great day!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

That travel lock came out REALLY well! I'm glad you could use the parts. What kit does the seat you're using come from? I've never used one, so it would have been relegated to the spares box. Seems like a really good way to mount a partial figure.

I've hollowed out the insides of figures to fit over the Tamiya battle unit base, (when the 'R2D2' isn't installed), but your method is great for tanks that don't use that unit.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Mike!
Thank you again! Tamiya parts really fill the bill. That seat is from a Tamiya sprue from the King Tiger. Also, this part is to found in the Tamiya Tiger 1 sprue set. I've never seen it used in kit instructions. It is marked in Blue for 'Do Not Use'
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Welcome back, S.O.A.G.,
Thank you very much, sir. This is an RTR build and I'm trying to toe the line on it. Not as feature rich as some but not a broom job either. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I was planning to keep secret my botch up when I fouled up on the pin vising of my Schumo MG Mount only to find that you are in fact a mere human like the rest of us mortals. :clap: :clap:
The one thing that I managed to retain after I left the service was a fluent grasp of Anglo Saxon which filled the workshop for quite some time afterwards, :{
Your attention to detail is as ever most impressive. :thumbup:
Following on.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, sir,
Absurdly small screws and equally tiny 'E' clips from Tamiya and a #75 bit to use as a tap and it's all together more securely than the Schumo pin and socket arrangement. I would rather _not have_ broken the pin off since it required drilling out which led to me buying new bits. It is all just a vicious cycle at times *chuckles*
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Other Builds”