HL M1A1 Aussie version...

HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Re: HL M1A1 Aussie version...

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Hey out there can anyone tell me what plastic the HL tanks are made of? I don't think its styrene (HIPS) as the Revell glue I normally use doesn't stick too well to it....its funny the styrene glued to the rear rack seems ok but some of the bracing used inside the hull between the existing battery compartment and hull sides just did not want to bond!

Any suggestions for better glue would be great!

Bruce
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Bruce,

HL plastic is the worst plastic I have ever worked with. I do not know what it is but it does stand up well to bumps and bangs which is a good thing.
I regularly find large air bubbles buried within the plastic and also find piece pieces which are best described as "chunks of rubber". :think:

I used an epoxy made specifically for bonding plastic to bond my structural styrene to the HL plastic. The backed it up with through screws/bolts mounted with blind fasteners. The epoxy may break loose in places but the bolts will ensure they do not come loose.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_p ... Bonder.htm styrene to the HL plastic

I have found no glue that properly bonds the HL plastic.

Plastuct, Plastic Weld works but the bond can be pried apart with little to no damage to the joined parts so the parts are not truly "blended" if you will. Especially when bonding large "area" pieces. I paint the Plastruct glue onto both parts to be joined then paint a heavier coat onto one piece and press them together and clamp them up and let them set for 12 hours or more.

https://plastruct.com/technical-info/

Hope this helps.
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Cheers mate I will get some loctite when I go past the hardware store :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bruce
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

It really is annoying. So far as I can tell, the Loctite products in the US are generally not available in the UK e.g. the one referenced above. I have found this before. There seems to be a different range.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

silversurfer1947 wrote:It really is annoying. So far as I can tell, the Loctite products in the US are generally not available in the UK e.g. the one referenced above. I have found this before. There seems to be a different range.
Our chemicals laws are stricter - hence glues, creosote, weed killers etc aren't as potent as they used to be. Not a bad thing overall but annoying at times if you're able to use stuff carefully and still have some common sense hidden away somewhere!
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

RobW wrote:
silversurfer1947 wrote:It really is annoying. So far as I can tell, the Loctite products in the US are generally not available in the UK e.g. the one referenced above. I have found this before. There seems to be a different range.
Our chemicals laws are stricter - hence glues, creosote, weed killers etc aren't as potent as they used to be. Not a bad thing overall but annoying at times if you're able to use stuff carefully and still have some common sense hidden away somewhere!
We get most of the same stuff as the USA down here in Oz, some of it has different brand names (mostly the fibreglass stuff) but loctite,etc is same.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

I highly recommend using some fasteners as well. Mine is as solid as a rock!

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

BarryC wrote:I highly recommend using some fasteners as well. Mine is as solid as a rock!

Barry
Yep I will stick some screws in shortly once I have found the safe place I stashed em.....
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

HvyCgn9 wrote:
BarryC wrote:I highly recommend using some fasteners as well. Mine is as solid as a rock!

Barry
Yep I will stick some screws in shortly once I have found the safe place I stashed em.....
I can truly relate to that. I've found if I buy more it greatly increases you chances of finding the others! :lolno:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

BarryC wrote:
HvyCgn9 wrote:

Barry
I can truly relate to that. I've found if I buy more it greatly increases you chances of finding the others! :lolno:

Barry
I thought it was just an age thing with me, buying things, putting them safe and not being able to find them!
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D

Return to “Modern Builds”