New to this

Discuss the IBU2 & IBU3 here.
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: New to this

Post by Tankbear »

Lipo charging, stick with 1 x battery capacity. Therefore for 5000mah battery charge 5amp. 3000mah at 3amp etc. This should charge the battery from fully discharged to full in 90-120 minutes in balance mode depending on the charger. As the charger slows down as the battery gets fully so you find your battery is 80-90% charged in the first hour.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Cheers for the Info guys. Will the charger detect that the battery is fully charged and stop charging , even if I start charging set on 120mins max charge time but the battery still has half its charge in , and might be fully charged after half an hour. just thinking about over charging .As it stands I don't know what charge is in it now. And 1 x battery with 5000mah =5amps . shoulnt it be charged in 1Hour :think: And Ian would I be correct in saying the IBU3 has a built in low battery warning for lipos and I woulnt need a separate low voltage warning.
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

TANKYTOPY wrote:Cheers for the Info guys. Will the charger detect that the battery is fully charged and stop charging , even if I start charging set on 120mins max charge time but the battery still has half its charge in , and might be fully charged after half an hour. just thinking about over charging .As it stands I don't know what charge is in it now. And 1 x battery with 5000mah =5amps . shoulnt it be charged in 1Hour :think: And Ian would I be correct in saying the IBU3 has a built in low battery warning for lipos and I woulnt need a separate low voltage warning.
Yes the charger detects the voltage of the battery and determines the current charge level so won't over charge.

Yes in theory charging a 5000mah at 5amp will take 1 hour but in practice a smart charger decreases the charge rate towards the full capacity so tapers off the charge so takes longer towards the end.

Also yes IBU2 and IBU3 both have lipo low voltage protection. Both will shut the engine off when activated and flash the hit indicators if connected also the IBU3 will play a sound if loaded onto the IBU3.

Ian
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Brilliant ,Thanks for the Info Tips and Knowledge , I'm ready to go forth and change to Lipo :thumbup:
Nightrider
Recruit

Post by Nightrider »

TANKYTOPY wrote:Hello again Ben
Forgot to mention , when it comes to fitting ,it is really simple , its a case of plug and play , no need for soldering or anything complicated . just push out and change round 2 wires in one plug that goes onto the extension port if you have the taigen model and job done .straight forward instructions from Ian at rctankelectronics . What makes this board is your time finding top quality sounds for it. I cant play my sounds at full volume as they are way to loud and without distortion. cheers
Thanks TANKTOPY all of that is a big help
I must admit the battery choice is a it of a worry to me as well You hear so many lipos catching fire phones them puffer things they even make the lithium battery's for motorcycles and they cause problems with over charging and melting the lume but I will opt for the 7.4 lipo myself as they seem to be the best solution for good power and I look forward to finding sound files for the ibu as well sounds great fun
Can't wait just saving at the mo then I will buy a package deal I think with the flysky controller and such.
Going to start the build soon and believe I will call it ????? Or revenge in the commen tong
Kv1
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Hello Nightrider,
yes the package deal is the way I went ,Ian will bind the transmitter to receiver for you ,although its pretty straight forward to do yourself anyway. The best speaker is the FRS8 , I went with the FRS7 first, then had to buy the better FRS8. also its best enclosed tight in a box which ian sells now. as for the batteries , yes everyone else is using Lipo and everybody whos gave advise so far havnt had problems ,so that's reassuring , I'm going to try and solder the new xt60 connections on my tank this week and give it a test run on lipo ,then it will be strip everything out and start a build as well, give it some detailing and a repaint. Now over to the Build pages and pester everybody there. Bring it on :thumbup:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I agree the FRS8 is the best choice
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I think I have a little video on soldering XT connectors you'd like to see it.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Max-U52 wrote:I think I have a little video on soldering XT connectors you'd like to see it.
I do!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I'll post it as soon as I get home from work, in four or five hours.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “IBU2 / IBU3”