Cromwell Mk 4 1:16 scratch build Ludwig kit

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Cromwell Mk 4 1:16 scratch build Ludwig kit

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:
Exhibitedbrute wrote:I have one of these, that I haven’t started yet, what would you advise the best place to start

Follow my build for the Comet, as I'd learned a lot from the mistakes I made building the Cromwell. Christian's instructions can cause unforeseen difficulties, that's if you follow them in the sequence you'll find them laid out in. Example- don't glue the glacis plate in place before fitting the track tensioner- as Christian appears. You'll be in a world of hurt if you do. ;)
The grainy photos in the instructions can be confusing too.
So, you should think hard about each step before taking it. :thumbup:
I didn’t get any instructions
I've posted the link before on this thread, I think, but- as per Peter's timely reminder, if you click on the link below, you can download the pdf Build Manual/Bauanleitung.
https://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/Crom ... eitung.pdf
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks to:- Artyfist;
Barry (from a Maestro- that's praise indeed :D );
Adam (another stalwart tank wizard) :thumbup:
Carl- yes Factory fresh; but with a few scuffs, 'travel mileage' and highlights needed by paintjobs scaled down to 1/16th. ( + Accent lines, road dust etc..)
Lee, yes I'll certainly point you in the direction of stronger tension springs- when I find them. :problem: Meantime, I'm going to open up a thread on suspension systems. :thumbup:
Peter, thanks! How's your project coming along?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've tried collating other Cromwell builds I could find here. It's always a good idea to see how others tackle the build. :thumbup:
Enginepeter's Build:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28072&p=269100&hil ... ll#p269100

Potential builders might also find Biertje's pic of a suspension fitting solution easier to understand than via the pics in Christian's pdf's:
and his thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5067&start=20

Here's Chris Ludwig's original prototype build thread. Unfortunately, many of the pics have vanished into the ether:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5067&start=20

Another from'Jrc':
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3266

If you can find any more, feel free to add the links!

A Cromwell in 1:6 scale:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11634&p=99642&hili ... tch#p99642
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Lee. I was thinking of fitting four of these on the corners of the Cromwell (but within the twin walls, where the suspension arms are). The Panzer three model has dampers on the four corners, and they should provide some of the extra resistance needed, where tension is greatest- at the sprockets, and at the idlers. :thumbup:
These are for WPL trucks.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-lot-RC-Mod ... Sw1W5ehyf1
Others will do just as well, so long as they're under 6mm wide (diameter). If not, I may bond in some compression springs to provide resistance- like rubber bump stops do. On the front, and rear swingarms, that is. :wave:
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I was thinking of using those in the whole thing, would theY fit between the walls
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

I have fitted the suspension arms to my build Roy but I have held off with the springs until everything inside the hull is in place so I can determine the best position for them to be fixed. The supplied springs do seem a little weak and with the narrow gap between the hull walls it's going to take a bit of head scratching to come up with something that will work within the confined space :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Tom says the springs are ok but as I have the crusader which uses the same system from Ludwig I find they are weak, they can be moved up a few notches but it doesn’t really help at the back where the gearboxes are
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:I was thinking of using those in the whole thing, would theY fit between the walls
The gap between the inner and outer hull walls is around 6mm. Thus, any dampers with a diameter/width of 6mm, or less, should fit. In fact, a bit of relieving at strategic points on the inner walls [/i](slight skim at the fitting points) might allow for bigger dampers. :think:
Of course, if you look at the suspension on the actual Comet or Cromwell, you'll see that twin telescopic dampers (with internal tension springs?) were actually used. With hindsight, I would have tried to fit compression dampers to the inner wall, before bonding the outer wall in place. ;) Live and learn, eh? Then again getting the two walls aligned exactly is crucila to the build, and this process might have been hampered by having springs and suspension arms in the way... :problem:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:Tom says the springs are ok but as I have the crusader which uses the same system from Ludwig I find they are weak, they can be moved up a few notches but it doesn’t really help at the back where the gearboxes are
They are weak. In fact, they weren't even supplied with the Comet kit, and I had to source my own- with great difficulty. However, I think that with stiffer springs on the leading two arms (front wheels)
and rearmost arms ( adjacent to the drive sprockets- where the most tension is to be found) you can get away with his springs on the remaining suspension arms- so long as the spring retaining pin is in the right place. Finding that, in itself, can be a major hit and miss headache. >:< :/
Then again, that's semi-scratch building for you. Christian provides the basic flat pack- but it's up to the constructor to make it three dimensional, and make it run... :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Model Builder 4 wrote:I have fitted the suspension arms to my build Roy but I have held off with the springs until everything inside the hull is in place so I can determine the best position for them to be fixed. The supplied springs do seem a little weak and with the narrow gap between the hull walls it's going to take a bit of head scratching to come up with something that will work within the confined space :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
It is a headache, Lee, and a head-scratcher. In fact, my head looks like Zimmerit after working on the Cromwell. >:< :D The position I found- after several abortive attempts- was about dead centre in the suspension arm aperture, in the outer wall, and around 9mm from the edge- if that makes sense. Do have a look at the pics I posted earlier.
If I were you, I'd try a few compression dampers- if you have them- as an alternative to the wee springy thingies. They're not expensive, and should they not fir the Cromwell, well, there are plenty of truck projects waiting :thumbup:
All the best,
Roy.

Return to “Other Builds”