ElMod Instructional Video

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: ElMod Instructional Video

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

wibblywobbly wrote:
tao wrote:Is the Elmod sound up there with the latest IBU or TK 60 (or TBS) ?
The question is the wrong way around. If you have never had an Elmod board you wouldn't understand. The other boards on the market aren't even close and never have been. I have two, and would install them in all my tanks if I could afford it.

The new open source board is great in principle, but, as we have all learnt with all new kids on the block, no one knows how reliable they are until someone installs one and tries it out. You will need speed controllers, an amp, and a soundcard. Even without the TCB board you are looking at a lot of money. The Elmod is all on one board, nothing else to buy,

The multi channel sound system, sound quality and tank drive dynamics really do make you feel like you are driving a 50 ton tank via your tx. It's something that no other system can do.
Try the ASP2. CD Quality sounds, stereo, 20watt amp and it plays about 200 hundred of them, and the board has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more functions than the elmod for less money.

Im really curious about the new open source board... But the need of adding a couple of ESCs and a sound board is for me a real drawback. I dont know how much this new open source board will be, but for the price of everything together it might be better to stick with my ASPs. Also I dont like the idea of having a lot of diferent boards inside one tank, I preffer to have only one and clean like the IBU3 instead of an spaguetti dish.

Taigen is going to release a new board with user changeable sounds too. Lets see what they do, and hope their soundcard is able to play more sounds than beier-benedini at an affordable price. :)
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

It looks like the TCB is going to be pretty clean with the receiver going into it with no cables and the TBS is just a plug in and the Saber
plugs right in to. Again having a BARC/TBS and Saber set up right now..it looks cleaner and with a ton more features...and I like the TBS
sounds and programing ability. But I see the upsides to the other set ups too.
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Also the smooth sound transitions are key to getting that realistic feeling in terms of engine/movement.
Yellowshaker
Corporal

Post by Yellowshaker »

The argument of what is better will go on forever. It comes down to preference. IMO, there s nothing that compares to the all around nature of Fusion. Remember this too. If you are not happy with the sound quality for some reason, and want the sounds of a benedini, add one to ElMod. It can be used with the board.
I have watched a couple of videos of the ASP and honestly never saw the hype in it. Of course I am not knockin git, just don't see what is so great about it. I have been in the hobby for quite some time and tried different things along the way, but ElMod to me was always a cut above the others. Just one man's humble opinion.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

I think or rather it sounds like :) a lot the current systems are really doing a great job in terms of both sound and the transition aspects
and are being further improved per consumer feedback.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Yellowshaker wrote: I have watched a couple of videos of the ASP and honestly never saw the hype in it. Of course I am not knockin git, just don't see what is so great about it. I have been in the hobby for quite some time and tried different things along the way, but ElMod to me was always a cut above the others. Just one man's humble opinion.
Because it is the board that can play the biggest amount of sounds ( about 200) aslong as you want with the best quality and the higher volume (20a) You can connect up to three speakers. Only for switching the motors On you can choose between 4 sounds!

It supports big motors (I had problems with ibus stalling with bigger motors)
Also it has way more functions than other boards. Three machine guns, 17 kinds of vehicles for ir batling from and ultta light scout unit to a coastal battery. You can use piercing rounds or high explosive ones... It also registers who shot you and it records it in a black box so you can read it afterbattle or to see it in your radio at the moment. Taigen, heng long and tamiya IR compatible and many many more functions.

Believe or not, the ASP is the best board out there. I know I said it many times, but is not a question of preference, it is a fact. I had all the boards and I ended selling them all and sticking with the asp2
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Try the ASP2. CD Quality sounds, stereo, 20watt amp and it plays about 200 hundred of them, and the board has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more functions than the elmod for less money.
On its own, "CD quality" is a bit of an empty buzzword. Yes the board may be able to read a 44 kHz file, but the sound source is unlikely to be of the same clarity. How many people have got Maybachs or Kharkovs running in a recording studio? Most sound files are ripped from poorly compressed YouTube videos taken with mobile phones.

A 22 kHz file of a good-quality recording is going to sound better than a 44 kHz sound of a crappy recording. I haven't heard an ASP2 in the flesh personally, but I'm sure that with a decent soundset it'll sound better than, say, an IBU2 running up against its bitrate limitations (for what it's worth, I think 90% of the sounds that come with the IBU2 are rubbish :shh: ). There's more to the story.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Raminator wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote:Try the ASP2. CD Quality sounds, stereo, 20watt amp and it plays about 200 hundred of them, and the board has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more functions than the elmod for less money.
On its own, "CD quality" is a bit of an empty buzzword. Yes the board may be able to read a 44 kHz file, but the sound source is unlikely to be of the same clarity. How many people have got Maybachs or Kharkovs running in a recording studio? Most sound files are ripped from poorly compressed YouTube videos taken with mobile phones.

A 22 kHz file of a good-quality recording is going to sound better than a 44 kHz sound of a crappy recording. I haven't heard an ASP2 in the flesh personally, but I'm sure that with a decent soundset it'll sound better than, say, an IBU2 running up against its bitrate limitations (for what it's worth, I think 90% of the sounds that come with the IBU2 are rubbish :shh: ). There's more to the story.
Good point there, but you can get the sounds from videogames, movies and so on, so you can have your cd quality sounds. And of course you can play music and voices like I do.

Look at this: (Im going to do another video soon, this was made in a rush, with my son over me, and driving and recording at the same time)

Video with cold start. I did tis video for showing something of the radio to other guy.
phpBB [video]

Another quick video around the home.
phpBB [video]

Thats with 25% volume.
Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

The question of how good the ASP is somewhat academic at present and has been so for some time. Intrigued by the past comments in other threads, I have been checking out the RC Tanks Australia site and the ASP has always been out of stock. For several months now it has said "More stock in 2017". It is some way into 2017 now and still no stock.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

silversurfer1947 wrote:The question of how good the ASP is somewhat academic at present and has been so for some time. Intrigued by the past comments in other threads, I have been checking out the RC Tanks Australia site and the ASP has always been out of stock. For several months now it has said "More stock in 2017". It is some way into 2017 now and still no stock.
You are completelly right there. In my humble opinion Kevin is a very smart guy capable of doing whathever gadjet he wants or we ask, but as a businessman, his skills might need to improve.

But I can understand him. He does not want to make lets say 500 hundred boards for ending selling about 70. Then what can he do with the other 430? It would be a waste of time and money for him.
Also for some reason that I trully dont understand, most people has no interest in buying anything from him and preffer to stick with other boards with waaaay less functions and more price. So I really can not blame him for not having a lot of them in stock, but I think he should have always some for sale.

Return to “General Discussion”