Anybody tackled a scratch built JS2?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: Anybody tackled a scratch built JS2?

Post by Tankbear »

Got to admit your achieving some very nice detail on the prints.

Do you find it quicker to print lots of parts at same time than singular?
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Ian, I try and print as many parts at the same time as possible, as it allows each layer more time to cool before the next layer is deposited. It seems to reduce warping and delamination. I think it does save time overall as the printer doesn't have to relevel between each print and it reduces the overall amount of brim that has to be printed but not by very much.

The converse which fortunately doesn't happen very often is that if a print goes wrong, you have lost more print time/material.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

AlwynTurner wrote:Hi Rob, I and a number of others use Openscad which is free and does everything I need (the JS2 wheel and cover only took about 3 hours and it was fiddly. I suggest downloading it and giving it a try

http://www.openscad.org/downloads.html

Regards
Alwyn
Wow, now I'm even more impressed with the JS wheel - I've not had to build CAD like that since the mid 90's!

Edit: Just downloading https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Download looks to be a lot easier to work with. Will review later - note, the day job is driving (and supporting) CFD software.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Just finished the last designs for the sprocket cover and idler wheel

The sprocket cover was a cast iron bitch! :crazy: :crazy: Anyway all done now.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild

Return to “General Questions”