Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Control Board

This forum relates to the Open Source Tank Control Board (TCB). Please read the sticky and visit the main site to find out all about the board and how to install it.
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Re: Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Control Boa

Post by LukeZ »

tomhugill wrote:Does the Open panzer board have to use a dual esc with intergrated v tail like the dimention ones? Or can two of a single channel esc be used with the board doing the steering? If the latter brushless becomes and option.
The TCB takes care of all steering, mixing, etc. As stated in the first post, it can be used with dual motor controllers (such as the Sabertooth), or you can use any two individual hobby speed controls, brushed or brushless. There are other options as well but you can read the wiki for more. It is also possible to control the unusual DKLM boxes where one motor is drive and the second motor is steering.
NO SUPPORT THROUGH PM - read why
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

tao wrote:So can the TCB essentially just plug in in place of my BARC unit? I have recoil and flash triggered by TBS right now and as noted looking into the saber to drive tracks.
Yes, the TCB will replace both your BARC and the RX-18.

As for the amp-rating of your ESC - as stated before, if you want to know exactly how much current you may draw, you need to put a meter on your motors. Or as Tom suggests you can always buy an ESC far in excess of anything you will ever need, but that costs more money and takes up more space.
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Hey Luke..the TCB sounds pretty impressive! Also you have had some great feedback and reviews by Eric and Dan..who both really know
this stuff well. Keep us up to date and as the other points it looks to have wider application potential too. Know the TCB can run the saber curious how it preforms straight from the receiver as compared to RX..as you pointed out I would think it has a smoother more delicate response to the motors? Dan is doing some cool stuff too with TBS and slot cars now as you probably know!
LukeZ
Lance Corporal

Post by LukeZ »

The difference between using a Sabertooth with the TCB as compared to just hooking the Sabertooth directly to your receivers is that the TCB can implement a lot of other effects that your receiver can't. Read the Driving page of the Wiki to get a sense of some of these adjustments. They include the ability to "rev" the engine sound without moving your tank, inertia and momentum, nudging, all different kinds of drive types (car, halftrack, halftrack with independent treads, tank), selectable turn modes, etc...

The Sabertooth gives you finer control than an RX-18, but it is still a "dumb" device. The TCB gives you a processor (computer) in between your radio and the motors that makes all these other effects possible.
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Yes BARC does that but it has it limits for sure...like being able to adjust superspin at all and well also being linked to the RX to drive motors.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

tomhugill wrote:Here's the Chinese benedini tbs micro clone

http://m.banggood.com/Sound-Unit-for-Or ... 97656.html

£20 boom.
Yes, they are identical to the Benedini, but they are also the smallest in the range, and have the least functionality. It's the next one up that would be the best option, but that one is around the £100 mark. My guess is that it won't be long before someone copies that one too, or designs something that does the same job for a fraction of the price.

I understand everything that Luke is saying about the TCB, it has inherent programmability, and is very similar to the Elmod. Everything, including things that the user hadn't thought of can be programmed, even independent track speeds when turning. The possibilities are endless.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Yes this looks like a great board that looks like it does it all and super flexible of course..plus the tutorials, videos are all clear
as can be and seem to cover just about every question. Big project..well done and good luck!
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Looking forward to this release..so many interesting features. I personally like the TBS and also have found
the Saber is amazing for the tracks..and these items are meant to work with and sync with the TCB. The site is also totally comprehensive and instructive and as Luke pointed out correctly, there really isn't any major question that isn't addressed and answered on the site. I also found
the trigger assignments on the left stick a great way to access things quickly (Like the BARC) but this system has so much more than the DBC/BARC.
Anyway the more I see the more it looks like a fantastic and easy to use board. (Note I have not used the IBU or Clark so I am only speaking from my experience with the TBS/DBC-BARC type set up)
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

My tank build project is coming to a close so I picked up the Arduino Uno that I bought as a project to create an IR system. I looked at the GIThub and found that you guys have kindly done all of the hard work. Many thanks for that.

The schematic provided details the circuit for connecting seperate components, however I purchased separate boards for the IR led and sensor, as these theoretically have the transistors and resistors that will protect the main board. I may need to change the emitter, but that is an easy task. I have added additional pins strips to the board.

Could I ask you a small favour?

The boards have pinouts labelled GND, VCC and SIG. Could you clarify where these should be connected on the Uno? I would rather ask than create magic smoke. 8O

One small detail, I tried using the provided Sketch using 1.8, but as I have found with the Arduino's that I use on my 3D printers, the code that 1.8 will recognise is different to 1.6, hence any attempt to upload the Sketch using 1.8 produces numerous errors.

Using 1.6 removes the errors, with the exception of the servo recoil code, it still rejects the code.
Attachments
IMG_20170324_090922.jpg
IMG_20170324_090958.jpg
IMG_20170324_090958.jpg (55.58 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
IMG_20170324_091024.jpg
IMG_20170324_091024.jpg (62.24 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

tao wrote:Thanks I was hoping that..right now not only the whine but also trying to get a slow start up or turn isn't that easy to control with the RX-18. The 480 motors though are plenty strong. Would the 12 amp saber be sufficient? Thanks :)
Will also look into the TCB further as well.
With all due respect to Luke, don't try the 2x5 sabertooth, get the 2x12 or the 2x25 unless you're running a small all plastic tank. For anything with the weight of metal you need at least the 2x12.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “Open Panzer Tank Control Board”