mystery item

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: mystery item

Post by HERMAN BIX »

On firearm safety, to prove a point during an introduction on a range day with a group of Army Cadets, I had placed an AKM assault rifle with a chambered round, safety off, and a full magazine on one of the firing points facing up range before they got there.
I gave the speech,which included asking the to turn to the person(some were girls) next to them, ask them what the name of their mother was , then think about the first thing they might say to this persons mother if they made a mistake or were silly & hurt or killed them.
Took all the time I needed to get the rules across and identify any potential clowns.
With that poignant effect still fresh and while they were in a moment of inner reflection I had moved next to the AK and picked it up quickly discharging all 30 rounds up range.
The fright and effect it had was of course immediate.
"A weapon is safe in any state until you introduce a variable----human interaction"
I did the same trick each time a new batch came onto the range & it absolutely worked.
The weapon did not fire itself even though it was in a ready to fire condition.
The weapon did not suffer from an accidental event which caused injury or fatality
The weapon can not cause any harm unless it is introduced to a highly unpredictable influence- you.

I only ever had one event on that range which was a cut eyebrow from a scope on a sporterised .303 from being to close to the reticle and not shouldering tight enough.

Here in Aus I have no guns at all..............just cant cope with the disappointment after having all the fruity stuff in the old country. !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Herman your salutary reminder of the hazards of complacency reminded me of the first time I fired a "Very" pistol. We were using an Army Air Corp Beaver to train Ghurkas in Freefall on a grass strip,
I was supposed to fire a green when the area was clear of Jumpers so that the Aircraft could make a safe landing,
I broke it and dropped a cartridge in, making sure it was Green,
Pointing the Pistol at a point slightly above the Beaver I squeezed the Trigger,
Because of my cocky certainty that this was closer to a toy than a "Real" gun I was hardly gripping it at all.
Which is why I swore and nearly dropped the thing as the Hammer came right back tearing the flesh from the back of my Thumb.
Oh boy did I discover it was not a toy but a REAL GUN !!!
Children ALL weapons in the hands of morons are dangerous, 8O
Trust me I am that moron.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Oh I bet you copped it for that !

A very large pistol club ran open days so anyone curious can attend & fire handguns with a view to opening up membership & awareness.
You bought single rounds by 'meal ticket' that you presented to the gun owner/handler, he would make the weapon available & supervise you at your shoulder while you then fired the rounds.
One guy was lined up to fire an Israeli Desert Eagle .44 Magnum automatic.
Now these things are a huge chunk of steel.
He had 2 rounds to use.
The instructor gave a very accurate demonstration of how to hold it, and how to control the discharge before loading the mag.
Ole mate then steps up, takes stance, and before you blinked changed grip position with his left hand over his right wrist fired the round & had the slide cycle over the web of his thumb tearing an enormous gash in it, which chambered the second round, which was by then in real danger of ending up anywhere for a moment until the instructor grabbed his arm & pointed it straight up !!
That was piss funny and regretful at the same time.
Again, the variable factor of human involvement.
He went off to hospital for an operation I believe as it caught a tendon.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:Roy my darling boy!!
You are not going to believe me, but I really had not noticed where your finger was in the picture, (Try making that statement sound innocent in mixed company) :/
I was backing up Jacks wise words on firearm safety,
I try very hard to NOT make snide remarks most especially to those members of this Forum for whom I have a high regard, :thumbup: :thumbup:
Shaun.
:D I didn't think for even a parsec that I was being scolded,Shaun, not a jot. :lolno: Nae bother, vieux Bean! In fact, If anything I was slightly miffed with myself when I noticed that wayward digit hovering unprofessionally close to the trigger :haha: :haha:
Nor did I, in all my innocence, notice the witty double entendre centred on the word 'finger' :haha:
Few things can be relied upon to provide a meaningful framework of reference in this ever changing world; but Sir Shaun of the Jarndice, the perfect Gent, is one of them!
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

On-topic, Mr Larsson can you please let us know by way of pictures once you have completed the BH holster. I would like to see how you deal with the wooden parts.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I'm no expert, but there's a chap named Dave Younquist who has a series of YouTube videos on figure painting. He paints his wood with a base coat of Vallejo Iraqi Sand. When dry, he then top coats with a thinned down Vallejo Smoke, using the brush marks to represent the grain.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

Dave Younquist is a master of the dark arts. i am a mere mortal !

His techniques are something i go by. add more with less. watching his YT videos again just pushes me on to do the best i can. i'm painting my broom-handle like 43 recce displayed.

as for Mr Dave Younquist, i will start repainting those that haven't been sealed/varnished. something i only use to get a "wet" effect. like my tanks, i like my troops to look as if they have been "in action"

again thanks for making me look at my deficiencies ! it's a lesson re-learned.

doc

Return to “General Questions”