Battlefield House

jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Battlefield House

Post by jtracks »

I thought you were going for a snow effect, but if you're going to now paint it black I'll just have to wait for the finish. Following along.
Joe
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

It's going to be interesting. I have already noticed a difference between the water based and solvent based Colron dyes. When the roof was treated with just the solvent base and sprinkled with filler powder, spraying the PVA gave it a greenish tinge - presumably, some reaction with the dye. This has not happened this time. Quite what the final result will be remains to be seen. If it does not turn out right, I shall have to devise a remedy as I can't afford to throw it away and start again.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Unfortunately, it has proved to be as I feared - the solvent based dye is an essential piece of the whole operation. As a consequence, I have had to give the roof a much heavier spray to deal with the filler, which as previously stated, had failed to take up any colour. This is what I have finished up with.
20161031_145825.jpg
20161031_145825.jpg (62.19 KiB) Viewed 5774 times
20161031_145810.jpg
20161031_145810.jpg (63.72 KiB) Viewed 5774 times
Please note that the paint was not quite dry, which accounts for the patchiness. Hopefully it will pass muster.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Sorry, that is quite horrendous, and not at all what is expected. You will have to do it again, and get it right this time. :haha: :haha: :haha:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Very, very disappointed with how the roof turned out. I will have another look in the morning, once everything is completely dry, but it looks very much like I c****d up. I shall have to think of the best way to lighten it up. If anyone has any constructive suggestions, they would be much appreciated.
Richard
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The best advice I can give you is to leave it as it is, it looks just fine to me??? 8O
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by jtracks »

I know how it is to be dissatisfied with one's work. But i have to agree with Wibbly, it looks good to me.
Joe
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I have had another look at the roof in the cold light of a new day. It is probably not as bad as I first thought, though I still think it is way too dark. It is certainly not up to the standard that I have set myself. However, in the absence of any foolproof way of fixing it, I shall take your advice and leave it as is. Any further change will depend on the consensus at the next BAD meeting.

I shall be giving the last wall its stone overcoat today.
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

The house now has four walls - or at least it will do once the PVA has dried. A few repairs are needed where it has taken a few knocks. I am considering giving the whole thing a coat of thinned down PVA to protect it. It seemed to work quite well on my gun emplacements, particularly the sand one. The surface on that resembles concrete now.
Richard
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I agree about the pva trick. It bonds and seals loose material brilliantly. All of the roadways on the polystyrene bases that I did used the same process, and loose dusty earth simply becomes a very realistic dirt roadway that will withstand a heavy tank with metal tracks, without getting wrecked. I just wish I could say the same for my fence posts that will have to be redone over the winter months. :/
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Battlefield Buildings”