The T90 thread

MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: The T90 thread

Post by MichaelC »

Thanks wib, I will give it a good next time I open up the turret.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

HL do it this way as they are airsoft barrels and it prevents anyone lowering the barrel too far and firing at the ground, which doesn't help anyone wanting an IR tank at all. Its an easy fix though.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Post by Jay-Em »

wibblywobbly wrote:Jagdpanther style, so low profile and long shaft eg 60mm.

The modification to the barrel elevation worked a treat, it now depresses to below horizontal.

If anyone has theirs apart can they tell me which 2 pin plugs go where? I have elevation and rotation, and the machine gun. The airsoft is working, but there is no gun sound. It may be a low battery so that is on charge (it lasted an impressively long time).
Usually the two pins go on the most right pins from CN-3 "mg fire", (seen from above) or at least the one from the microswitch behind the gun. But it could be wholly different with the new RX18.

Ad. The gearboxes. Thanx for the pic. Truly helpful. The chassis seems very wide. Plenty room for long-can 480's. It also looks asif Heng-Long fìnally stopped using that yellowy machine-oil in their plastic-geared gearboxes. That oil was óne of the reasons they failed so often. It attacked the plastic, madeit brittle.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

They are lubricated but it is crystal clear and very fine oil that you can hardly see.

Thanks for telling me where that plug went, everything is now working and sounding as it should. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Eastern Front wrote:I keep seeing this T-90 pop up, but no info on where you are obtaining these Tanks...

Cheers
Haya in UK is the only one right now, just like the Chally earlier this year.

http://www.hayaltd.co.uk/
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I have now desoldered the front lights, drilled a small hole in the back panel, and have just one red running light, looks better to me as tanks don't run around with headlights on.

My next quest is to figure out how to keep the gunfire sound, but deactivate the airsoft unit. As far as I am aware, when the gun is fired the airsoft motor moves the mechanical internals, and this closes a microswitch, which completes the circuit that allows the gun sound to activate.

If I set the microswitch to permanently closed, then I assume the the gun will sound non-stop.
If I set the microswitch to permanently open, then I assume the gun will never sound.

So, does anyone have any bright ideas as to how to activate the gun sound circuit without using the airsoft unit to do it?
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

My knowledge of electronics is minimal and that of r/c tanks even less, but can you use a relay to close the microswitch?
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The solution is so simple I could kick myself.

The microswitch unscrews from the back of the airsoft housing.
Detach it.
The cables run to a 2 pin plug that goes to the 5 pin CN3 socket.
Remove the plug.
Either cut off the 2 pin plug from the microswitch, or get a spare one.
Twist the bare ends together.
Put the plug back in.

Presto, the gun fire sound but the airsoft doesn't activate.

Just need to get rid of the hull recoil now..... :|
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Is that the wires on the plug or the wires on the microswitch to be twisted together? If the former, then it would seem that basically you have removed the microswitch all together.

Shame the gun can't be made to recoil so easily.

Great stuff you are doing. I would have no idea where to start.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Just cut the plug off, trim back the insulation on the plug wires, twist the two wires together, and replace the plug.

Here's a video of how it currently runs (thought I had already posted this - but its not here - :'( ), I need to get rid of the hull recoil, but that uses the same circuit as the gun sound trigger. You either have hull recoil and gun sound, or no hull recoil and no gun sound. There is an ATRC unit that can be plugged in, basically resistors that stop the power surge to the motors when the gun is fired.

For IR there is this Mako board. I know nothing about them, but if they work with the new RX18 and are fully Tamiya compatible IR, then they should do the trick.

http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/index. ... 31f2322eaf

phpBB [video]

I can get a muzzle flash for free by using the IR +/- on the RX18. It works off the same "press the button and left stick up" so flashes when the gun fires.

Edit:

As I had to pull the turret apart again, here are pics of the elevation mod, and another showing where the muzzle flash wires will thread through the airsoft unit without dismantling anything.
Attachments
IMG_20160917_164231.jpg
IMG_20160917_164156.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Modern Builds”