The T90 thread

wibblywobbly
Major

Re: The T90 thread

Post by wibblywobbly »

Just been transplanting the the new T90 RX18 into a Tiger, at least that way I get Tiger sounds in a Tiger, though no battle system.

Here is the interesting bit. I wired the Tiger up through the 8 pin plug as per normal, the same way that I have done it on every HL tank since day 1.

Plugged it all in and...

The convoy light works.
The muzzle flash works.
The machine gun works.

However...
The elevation has to be connected to the first two pins, this used to be turret rotation.

But...
If I do that, I have to get turret rotation from where the elevation used to be.

Still working on it, currently getting gunfire on left stick sideways, but it seems that in order to get two way barrel elevation HL have switched which circuit they use on the RX18.
It must have something to do with the airsoft circuit as this board was previously installed in the T90 which had untouched 8 pin wiring.

What will be interesting to see is if aftermarket boards are still plug and play with the T90 electronics, or whether it will be necessary to swap a few wires around on the 8 pin socket, as well as anything else?

If anyone else has been playing with their wiring and solved this puzzle, feel free to post, :wtf:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

wib, you just need to take the 8 pin patch board from the T-90 and move it to the Tiger. You do have to re-wired your existing Tiger.

The 8 pin T-90 patch board is a new version. It separates the Airsoft power from the rotation so there is no more 3 point patch board anymore. Elevation and Airsoft is separately wired on the T-90.

The MFU didn't change, they just fixed the wiring coming out of it.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I figured it out, though what I have said above is how it is configured. I noticed when I had the T90 apart that the crossovers on the new 8 pin hull socket looked weird, now I know what they did.

The old RX18 was
RX18 Wiring.jpg
Doing a complete rewire on the scrap Tiger, not using any hull socket, everything is hard wired as this was a quick and cheap job, I had to change it to:

1 & 2 = elevation
3 & 4 = rotation
5 = empty
6, 7 & 8 = lights and machine gun.

I now have the tank running as it should, everything is on the correct stick, the main gun works off press right button and stick up, machine gun is on left button.

I am uploading a video that I will post on the Tiger 131 thread.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
brizo58
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by brizo58 »

Hi All,
Well my T90 arrived and all works well :thumbup:. So far removed the BB unit put some strenghting bars in the lower chassis and removed the commanders hatch and made it rotate. So now waiting for my wheel and suspension upgrade to get here. Hope to get some photos on ASAP... Brian...
wadsworthj
Lance Corporal

Post by wadsworthj »

Hi.
If the owner is not a purist.
I can say that if you drill a hole just larger than the allen key needed to get the wheel off, then as you operate the allen key, it will withdraw the wheel plug, assuming that you have not glued it up.
I found this out by accident on my Sherman, that I am converting to an m3 .
Cheers Wads. 8)
brizo58
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by brizo58 »

Hi All,
Well my T90 metal road wheel set came today :thumbup: very nice, road wheels sprockets idlers return rollers all with 2 bearings each. Plus suspension arms. And I just noticed the plastic gear boxes have a clutch unit on the first gear cog!!. Brian...
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Another one joins the merry band. I took a dremel, files, scalpel and sandpaper to mine today, the rear side fenders are now history. Will look at the barrel and a recoil soon.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Recoil working.

I sawed the barrel off at the mantlet, managing not to destroy the bolt heads that are on there, I then slid the airsoft tube out.
Got the dremel and carefully ground out the mantlet to the edge of where the bare plastic was visible from where I had sawn it off.
Kept testing the hole until the barrel would slide in without resistance.
Of course now the barrel is too short to extend into the mantlet, so I reinstalled the airsoft tube and glued it into the barrel, but leaving a longer section poking out.
I 3D printed a box to hold the servo but they can be made by cutting up the airsoft unit.
Then it was a simple matter of mounting a servo, and an arm to the barrel.
Presto, all done, and adjusted so that the rear of the barrel does not pop out of the mantlet when the recoil returns to its resting position.
Stuck a muzzle flash led in the barrel all ready for when the final electrics are installed.

Just need to make a hook to go on the back of the servo box/breech so that it will go onto the elevation unit. Those who use the airsoft unit to hold the servo won't need to do this.

Happy bunny now.... :D
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Here's a pic.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
DOG
Lance Corporal

Post by DOG »

Are anyone using the battery that came with this and if so how hot should they get as i could have fried an egg on mine :O

Return to “Modern Builds”