Slow forward, fast reverse

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Jimigood
Private

Re: Slow forward, fast reverse

Post by Jimigood »

Jimigood wrote:
Jay-Em wrote:In the FAQ-sheet it states as follows:

Faster forward than reverse:

Forward movement is slow but reverse is faster, even with stick controls correct.
The solution:
The left and right motor wires are plugged in wrong way round AND the throttle channel is
reversed. These two errors cancel each other out so the tank moves forward when stick pushed
forward, but the IBU2 is thinking it is reversing and reducing the speed.

If plugging the mini-molexes in the other socket doesn't help..well..

hmm..

*scratching head*

WAITTAMINUTE!!!!

Start by setting all channels back to "normal, return the mini-molex to the config they had when the tank was original, ie. red in the left, black in the right when looking at the raised arrow-like thingies on the mini-molex. Red should be in the side where there's a notch in the mini-molex' side. It's hard to see, but it's there. Also check if the red cables are, indeed, soldered to the " + " of the motor. (not unimportant..)

If all's well we are back to a "normalized" state.

Now take-out the Mini-SD card.

Put the mini SD card in your PC card reader, locate the IBU2.ini and open it, look for the entry named "PowerMotorScale = 100; [1..100]% Check if that's at 100. Change to 100 if not.

Next look for ReverseSpeed = 50; [1 ... 100]% check at what percentage that is set.

For ease of control, I'd set both at 100, in that case odd motor connections won't make a difference.

You could also check CurrentMotorTreshold = 10; [1..15] I keep that at 12 It's the max amps a motor can get. Some powerful motors use more current when running forward, and the IBU will throttle them if this setting is wrong.

When editing the .ini, be careful with spaces, they totally confuse the IBU2.

If stuff keeps running wonky, it's also advisable to check

RadioCH1InverseCmd = FALSE; TRUE / FALSE
RadioCH2InverseCmd = FALSE; TRUE / FALSE
RadioCH3InverseCmd = FALSE; TRUE / FALSE
RadioCH4InverseCmd = FALSE; TRUE / FALSE

Stock should read "FALSE" change it if it's not as such.

Those settings are sometimes adapted by the seller to fit a particular transmitter, with the net result that using a different TX results in the weirdest stuff.

I had that problem (or rather HEADACHE!) with a Carson redflex 6ch stick. Couldn't get it to work whatever I did. After dilligent tweaking of the IBU2.ini I got it working for a bit, but was so frustrated by the ordeal that I threw the Carson in a box on the attic, and ordered a Turnigy i6, set everything in the .ini back to default, and haven't had any trouble yet (plus the great sounds of a custom Jagdpanther sound set..)

If You haven't got a cardeader for mini/micro SD, You're in trouble. Luckily usb card-readers with the correct slot are aplenty and cheap. Most computer shops have them, I even spotted them at the local "Action" (China crap outlet)

Lemme hear how it went with my tips.
Ok. Got all this checked out last night. Same problem. Runs like a scalded ape in reverse and a wounded dog forward. And not sure if this is a normal problem but when I rotate the turret and raise or lower the gun I get a horrible beeping noise from the speaker
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Have you tried swapping your motor plugs around? Can you try it? Let us know the result
Jimigood
Private

Post by Jimigood »

tomhugill wrote:Have you tried swapping your motor plugs around? Can you try it? Let us know the result
Yes. Left is the left socket and right is in the right socket and nothing is reversed on the transmitter or in the Sd card. I switched them with some crazy results. But I already knew which was left and right considering I had written it on the gearbox before unplugging from the heng long board just to make sure I remembered.
Jimigood
Private

Post by Jimigood »

It's all good tho. I'm done. Sending back to vender. Thanks for all the help.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Jimigood wrote:
tomhugill wrote:Have you tried swapping your motor plugs around? Can you try it? Let us know the result
Yes. Left is the left socket and right is in the right socket and nothing is reversed on the transmitter or in the Sd card. I switched them with some crazy results. But I already knew which was left and right considering I had written it on the gearbox before unplugging from the heng long board just to make sure I remembered.
What happens when you swap the left and right plugs around?
Jimigood
Private

Post by Jimigood »

tomhugill wrote:
Jimigood wrote:
What happens when you swap the left and right plugs around?
It moves the opposite direction. But even when I reversed things so it would go forward i couldn't get left and right correct while moving forward. But it would be correct if I made it spin.
But the what seems strange is when I reversed the +/- wires and the settings on the transmitter it seemed to fix the problem.
I've contacted the vendor and described the problem with this and the RFI presenting itself thru the speaker.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

What transmitter are you using?
Jimigood
Private

Post by Jimigood »

tomhugill wrote:What transmitter are you using?
Turnigy 9x I'm fairly certain the receiver is causing the RFI. I just want to make sure this isn't a know issue before I start messing with it
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Good same as me, can you tell me what stick mode your in?
Jimigood
Private

Post by Jimigood »

tomhugill wrote:Good same as me, can you tell me what stick mode your in?
Mode 2

Return to “General Questions”