Tiger 131 project

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Tiger 131 project

Post by jarndice »

When I was doing my Tunisian Tiger Build I began flattening the Main Gun Mantlet,
Mine is Metal, all was going well but as it was flattening out I discovered how thin the casting was and I had to stop and fill the hole that appeared with "Green Putty", :wtf:
And I was less than impressed to find after I had finished, that the "Tow Ropes" on the early Tigers were either reversed with the eyelets over the engine bay or
if they were mounted facing forward the inner ropes eyelets were trailing the outer ones instead of leading as the later ropes are, and almost no one tells you that there wasn't an escape hatch, in its position was a second pistol port !!! As you say onwards and upwards. :lolno:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

I used the kit from Ludwigs site to re-position the turret on my Tiger. It's a little on the pricey side but an easy install and it works well: http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/Tiger1zubehoer.html
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I looked at the Ludwig kit, but as this is a cheapie DIY build that I am trying to do without spending any money on it, I am hoping that I can find a simple way to relocate the turret. I've seen some that require some pretty accurate cutting of circles and crescents, but I would rather not have to take that route. If I ever do a 'nice Tiger' I will probably buy his kit as it seems the neatest way to rectify the issue. I would also buy the Tamiya Feifels, as they would be a lot easier than making them myself. I am almost tempted to buy the ones that I uploaded to Shapeways as they would be much higher quality than the ones I printed, however, after I have covered mine in dents I guess it won't make a great deal of difference. :P

Here are some more pics that were taken when 131 was captured. It appears that the hatches were repaired before it was brought back to the UK?

You can see that the tools have been installed by Bovington, and the paint given a complete makeover. The camo scheme that they used was complete guesswork as from the looks of things it was one colour when captured, and was then given a splosh job when it was brought here. They knew that two colours were used, but had to guess as to what the camo pattern was.
Attachments
drivershatch.jpg
drivershatch.jpg (29.3 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
2186_a_1.jpg
2186_a_1.jpg (24.29 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
0660_a_3.jpg
0660_a_3.jpg (16.07 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Having taken the Dremel to the moulded on tools, backfilled and sanded, I decided to infill the infamous HL cutout on the back of the turret. HL do this because the turret is in the wrong place, and when it rotates it hits the rods on each side of the upper hull. To get round this the turret has to be moved to the correct position, but I am going to ignore that as this may simply be a battlefield scenic.

I used Milliput, and a sanding block, and managed to get the right shape.

I also gave everything a blast of German Yellow which is way to bright, but it's only to make sure that everything has been smoothed down nicely.
Attachments
IMG_20160824_170713.jpg
IMG_20160824_170713.jpg (54.05 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

I vote u move the turret :thumbup:
Your doing great work , with the printing of parts etc. a compass cutter and an hour of your time is all it takes and if I can do it anyone can :haha:
I did it I my 131 build. Yours already surpasses mine
Your doing a great job :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Markocaster wrote:I vote u move the turret :thumbup:
Your doing great work , with the printing of parts etc. a compass cutter and an hour of your time is all it takes and if I can do it anyone can :haha:
Have you got a link to your build? I would give it a go but have no idea as to the precise places to cut and shut the upper hull?? :wtf:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

wibblywobbly wrote:
Markocaster wrote:I vote u move the turret :thumbup:
Have you got a link to your build? I would give it a go but have no idea as to the precise places to cut and shut the upper hull?? :wtf:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12892&start=40

I got the info from another build on this forum.
Sorry some of my photos seem to have disappeared from the post?
I am still working on this one :haha: been a few years now but I will finish one day :haha:
Other tanks just keep getting in the way :)
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I saw the Wildboar conversion, it came up during a Google search last week, but I took one look at it and though OMG! No way. It is one heck of a Tiger build, everyone should take a look when doing one.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10700&hilit=Working+engine+hatch

Although I am aware that the early HL Tigers are wrong, I am curious as to which of the later models by HL, Mato, Torro and Taigen are correct? There is even the Hobby Boss one?

Seeing as I have infilled the back of the turret base, I will have to put restrictors on the turret ring to prevent things hitting each other.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

My status as a cheque book modeller is confirmed. :haha:

There's no way I would undertake all the mods in this thread and those done by Wild Boar and other super skilled modellers on this forum and elsewhere.

As they say in France "Chapeau".

I'll continue to buy my off the shelf metal tanks which look spot on if you squint. :D :D
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

If I want to improve my models my instant solution is to take my glasses off. :D
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Heng Long Builds”