1942 DAK Panzer IV

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1942 DAK Panzer IV

Post by PainlessWolf »

After a few days of waiting for tracks and painting up the crew, I was able to finish the research Panzer IV today. Painted, weathered and done into the colors and details that I want to see on the HL 'F' kitbash I will begin on next. I'm pleased with the way it turned out!
Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
Dusty crew....jpg
Dusty crew....jpg
Now to dirty it up a little....jpg
Now to dirty it up a little....jpg
Tracks installed.jpg
Tracks installed.jpg
One of the Beauties that arrived from that Island in the Pacific today.....jpg
One of the Beauties that arrived from that Island in the Pacific today.....jpg
The correct Tamiya tracks arrive along with extra goodies from the General..jpg
The correct Tamiya tracks arrive along with extra goodies from the General..jpg
Panzer progress.jpg
Panzer progress.jpg
Rear markings and bucket.jpg
Rear markings and bucket.jpg
Crew in position with Tamiya markings applied..MicroSol decal softener is the best!.jpg
Crew in position with Tamiya markings applied..MicroSol decal softener is the best!.jpg
Painted and shiny!.jpg
Painted and shiny!.jpg
Tamiya primer and berets....jpg
Tamiya primer and berets....jpg
Last edited by PainlessWolf on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

( Continued)
Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
Template complete  042920.jpg
Template complete 042920.jpg
Rear plate.jpg
Rear plate.jpg
Bow armor.jpg
Bow armor.jpg
Dusty tank..jpg
Dusty tank..jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Your figure painting ability is quite impressive! They look as good as any of the 1/16 figures shown on this board, and those are about - what? - twice their size?

I'm looking forward to the next (1/16) installment of your DAK saga. Are you going to make it a "companion piece" to your eventual early Tiger build?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Mike!
Thank you for looking in! I am able to use a giant, lighted tensor lamp magnifier when I paint these 1/35 scale figures. Helps out a great deal. Most of the look is in how well the figure is molded. This is an older set of figures but since they are from Tamiya, they were not half bad ( recognizable differences in the faces ) This is a 42' Pz IV 'F" issue but there is nothing saying that it could not have survived El' Alamein and met up with the Tigers in Tunis. ;o) It is # 813 and I note that one of the Tigers which went to North Africa and later to the Russian Front was also # 813. ( Yours as a matter of fact ;o)
regards,
Painless
Attachments
I can recommend these decal sets.  Strong and easy to apply..JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
I have a metric ton of parts and pieces inbound for the DAK PzIV Ausf 'F' build. One thing that I cannot find ( any longer ) is an old style working, rear convoy light. I was able to source one back in the day for the StuG Ausf B build but cannot remember where I found that piece at... There are plenty of the Tiger\Panther style tube Convoy Lights around but not the older rectangle style Panzer Rear Convoy Light. Anyone here have a line on where one might be located? Thanks in advance!
regards,
Painless

P.S.: Looking over the old StuG Build, I found that the early style Rear Convoy Light came from An-Bri-RC. Another guy, who like Phil Plueger, has gone on to greener shores and bigger hobby rooms.
...Here for the Dawn...
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

Looks good so far! Always like desert warfare. Fun to look at, but to fight...

Are you a big kaiju fan?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

PershingLover wrote:Looks good so far! Always like desert warfare. Fun to look at, but to fight...

Are you a big kaiju fan?
Good Morning,
Not since I lost weight! *BADUM BOOM TING!* But yes, Always been a fan of the Big G and Associates as well as all the Radioactive B&W Monster Movies from the 50's. Always been a admirer of early War armor as well, especially the equipment used in North Africa and Italy later on.
Attachments
On to Malta!.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The Book arrived today and I am pleased and surprised at the quality of the pictures,
I have had to use a magnifier previously with other publications,
Every PZ4 from Ausf A to Ausf F is covered by a multitude of mainly clear black and white photographs.
I now have no doubts that the PZ4 pre Ausf G used two different designs for the aerial deflector and that my certainty that the Ausf D and E had stowage bins as standard is not in fact true,
The pictures clearly showing as many turrets without as with stowage boxes :crazy:
Nicely detailed drawings of all the Ausf A to F versions in the back pages.
Little text what is is in both English and German,
A good reference :thumbup:
The Title and ISBN is included in Painless own thread.
I wonder when the follow up Volume 11 (Ausf F2/G to Ausf J) will be published. ???
And thanks Painless for the original heads up :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening my Friend,
I am glad that the Book showed up and fulfilled expectations in every sense. ;o) The Electronics from Erik in Florida showed up along with a neat, gifted 300MAh battery for the new Panzer. Stuff is happening and I am really looking forward to a new piece of DAK Armor to keep me company on my desk.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

In my saga of creating 1/16 r/c facsimiles of every Panzer 4 from Ausf A to Ausf J it is patently obvious that more work will be needed to the turret and body of some versions than on others,
The Ausf A to E being the most challenging,
This gives one the opportunity to use the old Pre-Taigen revised turrets, (Either Heng Long or Taigen) too many of us having some of those in our collections.
Fortunately companies are out there making the mods that are needed,
Our own WOZ makes many parts for the many versions of PZ4 c/o Shapeways
My 1/16 Heng Long Ausf D was nearly all rebuilt from a kit i purchased from www.tank-modellbau.de,
It was very complete including a replacement front plate as well as all the parts needed for the front Glacis,
A new main gun mantlet as well as a replacement blanking plate to fill the gap after the (Grossly Inaccurate)turret stowage bin is removed are also included,
There is a new cupola and a nicely curved filling plate to enclose the cupola,
The instructions are in German but there are plenty of drawings and photographs so that there should not be too much difficulty for someone with a little experience in our hobby.
Certainly it is less challenging than building one of Chris (Ludwig) fine kits.
A nice kit, Recommended :thumbup:
It was about £80 including postage.
Sorry for borrowing your thread Painless but it seemed to be a reasonable sidebar to your quality build.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”