1942 DAK Panzer IV

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1942 DAK Panzer IV

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Gentlemen!
I'm sure Jhamm was just jumping in to have some fun. He knows the Cardinal Rule that if it is your tank, Build it as you like. Thanks for looking in, Doc. ;o) Thank you all for finding my workaday Panzer IV effort interesting. ;o) Once the Build is finished, I will do a Countertop test video and then afterwards, a run outside in the Rough to make sure nothing shakes loose on the shakedown run. ;o) Herman!. yes, the crew has overfilled the drum again. Lucky it is not bursting at the seams. That long drive to Tobruk will see it emptied quick enough! ;o)
regards!
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Excellent progress and detail work. Build ‘em like a shelf queen, drive ‘em like a bulldozer! My new motto.
SEAN66
Private

Post by SEAN66 »

Painless
are you going to do two sets of crew for this build.
German crew to take it into the desert then a British crew to take it to Tobruk for when its ran out of fuel and the British capture it. :haha:
regards
Sean
H/L Challenger 2
H/L Stug III (Building)
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

SEAN66 wrote:Painless
are you going to do two sets of crew for this build.
German crew to take it into the desert then a British crew to take it to Tobruk for when its ran out of fuel and the British capture it. :haha:
regards
Sean
Yeah !!, thats pretty good ! :haha:

And another German crew to take it back out ready for El-Alamain.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning Gentlemen!
I suppose that the last crew at El Alamein could be the one to drive it back all the way to Libya where it is immediately traded in for one of the new Tigers fresh off the boat *chuckles* ( seriously tho', markings are something I am thinking a lot about these days as I near the end of the physical Build )
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I assume you know the history of the German Army in North Africa in which case you will know that officially the Afrika Korps was a relatively short lived organisation,A bit like the television series "Faulty Towers, 15 episodes and yet people believe it went on for years with lots of fresh episodes,
I am not totally certain but I do not think that any PZ4s were in the Afrika Korp, (The line forms here with facts refuting my words :haha: )
Certainly the Tunisian Tigers were not in the Afrika Korp, My memory is that it was changed to Panzer Armee Afrika before the PZ4s took over from the PZ111 of which Some regiments were in the Afrika Korp.
Back to the books to find out how wrong I have been (Again) :lolno:
EDIT.
The Afrika Korp was officially formed in August 1941 it existed for less than six months although soldiers serving in the German Army throughout the North African campaign continued calling themselves soldiers of the Africa Korp.
In the New Year of 1942 the formation was renamed Deutsch - Italienische Panzerarmee, this was not a name with much support and was later changed to Heersgruppe Afrika, a title it retained for the remaining months of the North African campaign.
Were there any PZ4s in North Africa in August to December 1941 ?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening Jarndice!
Good thing I am modeling a 42' Pz IV 'F' Even then, on page 171 of Trojca's excellent book, you will find photos of a Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf F from Pz.Rgt. 5 ( 21. Pz. Div. ), DAK, North Africa, 1941. There are other photos of an 'F' on pages 186-187. The month is not given but they are listed as DAK vehicles and it appears to be a warm time of the year for the crew. ( on pg 188, there is a small photo of a destroyed DAK Pz IV F and the date is listed as 1942 in North Africa. ) I feel comfortable that my tank is somewhere in the ballpark as to a time frame, my Friend. On with more painting and making up the siren tonight.
Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
The siren horn definitely adds to the busy on that fender...Thank you, Mr. Trojca for the placement graphic assist.jpg
The siren horn definitely adds to the busy on that fender...Thank you, Mr. Trojca for the placement graphic assist.jpg
A quick look at the water can paint.jpg
A quick look at the water can paint.jpg
Some paint sees the job finished up.jpg
Some paint sees the job finished up.jpg
Some cutting, filing and primer and paint later I get to the conduit made from left over solder..jpg
Some cutting, filing and primer and paint later I get to the conduit made from left over solder..jpg
to get this part.jpg
to get this part.jpg
All of this....jpg
All of this....jpg
Some fantastic plastic and metal from Erik at Taigen.jpg
Some fantastic plastic and metal from Erik at Taigen.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Painless old friend long have I puzzled over the official documents and the on the ground facts of German Armour in North Africa,
And here I must digress to make a point,
When I was posted to a British Army Aviation Unit it was designated as an Army Air Corps Flight and all members of the Flight wore the pale blue beret of the AAC,
Some months Later it became a Royal Army Service Corps Flight,
Same Aircraft, Same personell, Same Role,BUT a Different Flight Number and All non AAC Servicemen reverted to their own Parent Corps Berets IE Dark Blue OR that was the plan that came from on high,
The men were incensed and continued wearing the pale blue beret until a senior officer of the AAC ordered the change take place.
My point being that units become very attached to certain insignia and titles,
When the RASC changed to the RCT I witnessed a Regimental Sergeant Major with tears rolling down his face as he stood on parade changing his cap badge as the Colours were lowered and the German Soldier wanted no part of the Italian Armed forces dubious reputation to become attached to them so officially or otherwise they kept the Afrika Korp insignia on the PZ4s,
The Tunisian Tigers were much more self contained within the Heavy Battalion structure of their regiments so never felt obliged to use other insignia.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

LOL, I laughed when I have seen you got all those parts for getting the horn. I do need one too, because my Panzer IV has an actually fully working horn, but I dont want to get all those bits.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Gentlemen!
Jarndice, as always, I bow to your superior knowledge per German Armored Units in the North Africa Campaign. Workable Unit numbers for this vehicle in Libya would be appreciated. I was thinking 813 but am not sure as the Libya Tigers may have grabbed that up as soon as they made an appearance. I can build on your words about the DAK crewmen wanting to remain members of the DAK and stick with Pz.Rgt. 5 markings. What do you think? Rad! You can probably build or source one from a Pz III bag of parts that remained unused. All sorts of wonderful sounds are capable with Hobby Grade electronics, yes. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”