scalawag JGSDF Type 10

ALPHA
Major-General

Re: scalawag JGSDF Type 10

Post by ALPHA »

scalawag wrote:
ALPHA wrote:
scalawag wrote:The plastic in the tracks is a hard injection moulding.

The front dust flaps are moulded as part of the upper hull, the side skirts and rear flaps are separate pieces which are moulded in a more supple slightly flexible plastic, they don't flex too much but not as brittle as the hull plastic is.

By bucket do you mean the lower hull tub? this is metal with other details in a mix of metal and plastic. very rigid as it is also filled with speaker box and gearboxes. It is folded into shape not stamped, and there are some gaps around the bottom of the corners, but I would say it is pretty sound.

Paul
Great...thanks for the info Scalawag....Yes I was referring to the lower hull...Sounds good from your general review...Makes me wonder what all the griping was about :think:

Did you take it for a spin?...There was also some mention about how light the tank was ...how it would kind of bounce instead of crushing things lol

ALPHA
Its had a run indoors, which was very good, probably outside a week on Sunday when I am next at Worthing Model Tank Club. It is quite light, and I doubt it would do much damage to anything it bumped into, but I think the suspension is softer too to give it that kind of floating look. It seems to work well.

I'm not sure what the bad reviews were about either, all in all it seems pretty good to me. Maybe it was the early production ones or something. I'm not sure it is really worth what Tamiya are asking for it in the UK, but as a model and RC tank it is pretty good I would say.

Paul
Yeah...I think it could be the Price tag...I know for sure I like it...even more so now that I can ask questions first hand....but that price is like a big stone wall for me ;)

ALPHA
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

There was some initial hesitation due to the plastic wheels and the DMD without a case and a sheet aluminum hull without any detail yet it's the same price as the Leo2. The detailing on the superstructure is really awesome though but I'm waiting for a set of wheels with rubber tyres first. At least it comes with a gyro in the box though.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Is it just my eyes or are the tracks designed to have ability to attach rubber pads to them ?
Looks like there is a space, and holes to secure...........but an odd shape if so.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Also, as for the over all size of it as an MBT....................they have an advantage in crew space requirements :shh:
No 'Oklahoma Buffalo' to accommodate eh :haha:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Beautiful tank Scalawag....I like this better than the Chally....Still uncertain on whether or not I "want" to afford it though ;)
Would be more tempting if it did have metal wheels and tracks You Got a really super deal on it :thumbup:

ALPHA
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

scalawag wrote:
billpe wrote:There was some initial hesitation due to the plastic wheels and the DMD without a case and a sheet aluminum hull without any detail yet it's the same price as the Leo2. The detailing on the superstructure is really awesome though but I'm waiting for a set of wheels with rubber tyres first. At least it comes with a gyro in the box though.
I think people avoiding it because of those items as missing out on a great tank. The hull is mostly hidden, and the electronics are housed in the speaker box assembly rather than having a separate enclosure. The small board in the turret really only has all the user switches and turret connections.

Anyway I like it a lot, there is a lot packed in there. I would like wheels rubber tyres, and all metal tracks with the option of rubber pads too.

Paul
Yeah, small gripes really.

If they did a plastic track with pads I'd have been more keen. The leopard 2s running gear is light and pretty tough and the rubber pads look way better than scuffed black nylon after its been run a few times. To me at least the Type 10 is a weird selection of design choices.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Looks great! As you say, these modern mbts don't get too grubby, or at least they don't appear to.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That TS-80 clear ?
Do you thin it or run it straight through the airbrush out of the pot ?
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

scalawag wrote:Thanks ALPHA it was certainly a good buy, and it is a great tank but I think the Tamiya retail price on this and the leopard 2 are too high for what you get. I will be watching for metal tracks to be released, but to be honest I am reasonably happy with the plastic ones.
Yup I agree about the price...especially going the retail route doesn't come with the Radio gear ;) ...I'll just have to be happy with my 1/24th scale version...which is not bad because it can be pared with the Type 90 Kai that I'm still working on ;)
I am still a tad Envious though lol....
The Chally is still my favourite of the MBTs that I have now. It is awesome in the flesh.

Paul
I'm glad you like it Scalawag...At first I thought it would be a good St Gloriana's platform as there is really no British armor really Available ....But for some reason...I wouldn't be able to explain it...the desire kind of faded when I started to look at all the builds going on...who knows though..it's still a possibility if a full metal version comes out ;)

ALPHA
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

scalawag wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:That TS-80 clear ?
Do you thin it or run it straight through the airbrush out of the pot ?
Hi Herman,

The TS-80 flat clear is a rattle can Tamiya acrylic paint, so press and go. It gives a great finish drys to the touch quite quickly and no cleaning the airbrush after ;)

As I use Mig washes which are enamel based it does not interact badly with them too.

They only problems are like most Tamiya acrylic spray paint cost, and it only comes in 100ml cans so runs out quite quick. 1 can gave this tank 2 coats.

Paul
Cheers mate

Ive used the pot version, but as is a common problem, did have a touch of frosting.
I will hunt down the spray-pack version.
The stuff I use is Matt sealer, and its good, but judging by your results, not as good as the Tamiya version.
Thanks for the heads-up
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Modern Builds”