Trumpeter/Taigen hybrid T-34/76 (obr. 1942 model)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: T-34/76, Kursk 1943

Post by Raminator »

Now we're getting somewhere!
  • IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0034.jpg
A few last odds and ends to tie up, but hopefully it'll be prime time soon. I've used Tamiya's liquid surface primer on smaller models before, is it suitable for outdoor RC tanks too?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Tamiya surface primers what I use on all my models.
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Cheers Tom, that sounds like next weekend's job then!

Spent the last few days finishing up those last few bits and pieces I mentioned earlier. First up was hiding some LEDs in the turret ventilator, since I blew up the IBU2's signal LED I'd hidden in the commander's periscope. These will have the advantage of being visible from 360°, too.
  • IMAG0036.jpg
Got the TARR smoker fitted, with the tubing mounted to a plate since the exhausts are removed with the upper hull. This means I won't have to fiddle around trying to plug tubing in every time I open the tank.
  • IMAG0037.jpg
Filed down the IR LED to fit inside the barrel. A 76 mm gun is only 4.75 mm at 1:16, so a standard 5 mm LED won't fit without a little help.
  • IMAG0038.jpg
Made a mounting for the IR apple from the lid of a Powerade bottle. By some cosmic fluke, the top of the lid is the same diameter as the commander's hatch, while the bottom of the lid is the same diameter as a standard Heng Long mounting plate. A quick coat of primer and it looks like a bought one.
  • IMAG0040.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
On towards painting and weathering, then!
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Amazing work. Everything is so well designed and it's all so neat :thumbup:

What type of speaker are you using in this one?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Oh mines tidy on most days !!
Normally every Sunday night it gets a rearrange to align the planets!

Striking work Mr Raminator, highly organised and well executed :thumbup:
Just a side note, if you are to do a diorama, you will need another 15 of these sitting dishevelled and burnt out in front of a Tiger !!

Are you at the happy place with the detail or do you have more tricks up your sleeve ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Thank you for the encouragement and praise guys, I appreciate it. Glad you like it!
Kiaser wrote:I have to say Raminator your area is very tidy compared to HB's :haha: :haha: .
Probably not, I just sweep all the crap to one side when I'm taking photos. :think:
B_Man wrote:What type of speaker are you using in this one?
A little Visaton, might be the FRWS5 or something similar if memory serves.
HERMAN BIX wrote:Just a side note, if you are to do a diorama, you will need another 15 of these sitting dishevelled and burnt out in front of a Tiger !!

Are you at the happy place with the detail or do you have more tricks up your sleeve ;)
I'd have to convert the whole living room to do a slice of Kursk. As much as my wife is glad I'm getting back into a hobby, I don't know that she's that enthusiastic about it!

Detail-wise, I can't think of much else I'd like to do. I'm always open to suggestions, though.
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Been a couple of slow weeks, managed to get everything primed in bits and pieces. I used Tamiya surface primer from a rattle can for the larger sections (hull and turret), but didn't much like the finish I got on the plastic; too grainy. The metal parts came up nicely though, so I went over the problem bits with diluted liquid surface primer through the airbrush while I was doing the smaller components.
  • IMAG0052.jpg
Should be time for the base coat this weekend.

To get some practice painting and weathering, I had a go at using some new techniques (new to me at least) on a little Cromwell that was a gift from my mother-in-law:
  • IMAG0053.jpg
    IMAG0054.jpg
First time using hairspray chipping and pigments, I think they'll take a little more getting used to. Might be a little heavy-handed, the pigments completely wiped out all trace of the pinwash, and I got some tide marks that won't go away. Pretty happy for my first attempt though!
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Really like the look of this. Did you finish the painting?
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Not yet, but I'm getting there. Like everything up to this point, it's been slow going doing little bits and pieces after work.

Got the metal base coat down; a 50:50 mix of Tamiya X-10 gunmetal and XF-1 flat black. I wanted a dark, dull raw-steel look that will contrast strongly with the lighter 4BO when it comes to chipping.
  • IMAG0064.jpg
I'm in the middle of giving the paint a few days to cure completely before hitting it with a clear coat and reassembling the tank in its entirety. After that I'll start painting the camouflage colour over hairspray, then on to weathering. Not much left now, and I'm already planning the next tank.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Raminator wrote:Not yet, but I'm getting there. Like everything up to this point, it's been slow going doing little bits and pieces after work.

Got the metal base coat down; a 50:50 mix of Tamiya X-10 gunmetal and XF-1 flat black. I wanted a dark, dull raw-steel look that will contrast strongly with the lighter 4BO when it comes to chipping.
  • IMAG0064.jpg
I'm in the middle of giving the paint a few days to cure completely before hitting it with a clear coat and reassembling the tank in its entirety. After that I'll start painting the camouflage colour over hairspray, then on to weathering. Not much left now, and I'm already planning the next tank.
Now that looks like its just been sandblasted & rolled out of the factory !
Nice prep work.
Good luck with the 4BO system, its not easy to get right so I found out.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”