Torro M16 Half track conversion

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Re: Torro M16 Half track conversion

Post by frankie »

quick vid..sorry about the quality...on my phone and one handed driving..lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpU4cS4Ypi8
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

That's very cool, Frank. Thanks for posting it. When I get to the halftrack (it's on the list, but it's a looooong list) I'll get back to you if that's OK.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

also found a pic of one I built for a friend...he installed the el-mod board into this one...
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

For those who say they never threw a track did you ever run it on grass or dirt? Every time I'd take mine out in my yard it'd lose a track, now it'd run great on sidewalk or blacktop or in my house but within minutes of hitting a trail the tracks would walk right off.

One more thing I found slightly annoying was the hard plastic mud flaps, try driving through a small hole, up or down a hill and they'd dig themselves into the ground and stop it dead in its tracks. I removed them and its off road ability went WAY up but the track throwing issue was still there.

I bought mine from a guy who sells them out of New Jersey, took a month to get the damn thing also! Does any place still sell them? I had heard they were discontinued.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A German dealer is selling them on E-BAY for £138. just type Torro M16 half track
shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Take a look at this, Terry.

I might have just gotten lucky, but I have two of these things and I've never had an issue with either one throwing tracks. I run them in the grass and on the dirt roads in the village and they do just fine. I wish they had sound, and that's why I'm so interested in Frank's set up. I think it's just great when one of us has done something already, and if it's someone that does work like Frank's you know you can just ask for a list of stuff to buy. That's how I got my FPV system. I didn't know squat about FPV but a buddy told me, "Buy this, this, and this, and hook them up like this and this" and I trust him so I did exactly what he said, designed my own platform to mount all the stuff, and now I have what I think is a really cool FPV system that I can set down on any Tiger One and be driving in a matter of seconds. When I finally get around to doing my halftrack I'll PM Frank and if I get lucky he'll help me out and tell me what he used so I can flagrantly and shamelessly copy all his hard work. They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, right? Well, I'll imitate young Fyn's fine work any time. @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

jarndice wrote:A German dealer is selling them on E-BAY for £138. just type Torro M16 half track
shaun.
Even with shipping that's a good price if you're in the US. The dollar is so strong against the euro right now I'm tempted to buy a couple more. That's about $150US, a hundred bucks LESS than I paid for mine! I'd have to check shipping rates but if it's under $50 it would still be a good deal. I've also been thinking about taking one of these and my 1/18 M16 and making the scout car, so this would be the time to get the donor halftrack.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Shaun do you have a link? I could only find one from Germany and it was 179 euro.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I think what you have found is the same as shaun - £136.82 at current exchange rates.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Oops, sorry, my mistake, I thought he said 138 euro. DOH!! :{

So with shipping that's about what I paid for mine, two years ago. At least they're holding value! :)

Return to “General Questions”