My Panther G Build

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

My Panther G Build

Post by silversurfer1947 »

The important box is not arriving till Monday, but I thought I would get the thread started, set out my intentions and also ask some questions. I started my Tiger, with no real idea what I was doing, apart from just reading the instructions. Hence I have created problems for myself in later stages. This time, I am going to try and think things through pretty much from start to finish. Amongst other things, I shall try to decide what upgrades I wish to fit and purchase them before I start. The kit is coming from Axels Modellbau, who seem to stock quite a range of extras made by Schumo. I have had a look for UK suppliers as the shipping charges from Germany are the same, regardless of value. The only one I can find is Welshdragonmodels, but there are only one or two relevant Schumo products listed there.

I have checked out this forum and found two threads, one dealing with application of zimmerit, and the other treating the bodywork with Mr Surfacer, to closer replicate the rolled steel. Both threads stop before the construction stage. Both these options seem fraught with danger for a novice like me. What I would appreciate is any suggetions that may help with my choice of upgrades.

One thought has struck me is that it would be nice to add a smoke unit, but having had a look at the manual on line, it would seem that there is no room inside. Is this possible, and, more importantly, is it worth the effort and expense?

As I said, any tips or pitfalls to avoid would be much appreciated. If I get any ideas of changes, I hope it will be OK to bounce them round the members here for comments, good or bad.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: My Panther G Build

Post by billpe »

So in regards to shipping, we're in the EU, so no duties get paid (unless people decide to vote us out which would be daft) and most shipping companies include France, UK and Germany in the same shipping location so the costs are flat rate.

To get the effect of rolled steel using Mr Surfacer 500, you need an old paint brush, ideally a larger modelling one and with stiff bristles (or get cheap ones of ebay!). Cut it back a bit so i'ts uniform in length. All you then do is dip the Mr Surfacer in and dab it on in several sessions. Dab, do not paint. The surface of the plastic needs to be covered but the covering doesn't need to be uniform. Ideally you're looking for an undulating, rough surface with no drip marks. A bit like that horrible ceiling plaster effect people used to use. The brush will be pretty much unusable after you've done this so bear that in mind.

You then sand it back gently with with a rough paper (Tamiya P320) to get the peaks off, then a very fine paper (like Tamiya P1500) until you have a flat surface with pitting. You'll need to blow the dust off quite often to see the result Just a warning though, use Mr Surfacer in a well ventilated area and when you sand it back, use a mask and hoover afterwards.

Practice on some plastic card first though!

In respect to Zimmerit, there's an easy option: Atak Zimmerit kits. They're excellent. Just remember that they come off with CA/Superglue so use an epoxy.

In respect to a smoke unit, to put one in a Tamiya, you'll need to do some minor electrical work and also buy some exhaust tubes which are hollow. Not sure if the kit ones are, the King Tiger ones aren't. I've never really found it worth it to be honest.

In respect to Panthers and learning about them, this is a good book to start with: You can get a kindle version but it's also on Google Play. It should point out some of the major features you may wish to model. The Tamiya kit is a good start but it's missing a few minor items of detail and of cause the side skirts. If you want metal tracks then check out Mitosal.com.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Just taken delivery of a large brown box, with a couple of stars on the side. I wonder what could be inside? :D
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Just taken delivery of a large brown box, with a couple of stars on the side. I wonder what could be inside? :D
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

20160125_122721.jpg
20160125_122721.jpg (33.92 KiB) Viewed 6124 times
:D :clap: :clap:
Richard
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Ooh shiny!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I've made a start, but nothing to show for it yet. Checked out the parts and read the instructions. I think I must have got up with my stupid head on this morning. This is a question for anyone who has actually built or is building this.
20160216_084305.jpg
20160216_084305.jpg (34.76 KiB) Viewed 6044 times
In instruction 5, shown above, it shows a sheet to be attached to the front glacis. It says "Remove sheet from the lining". What sheet from what lining?

This is only my second Tamiya kit, but I have to say, it is not a patch on the Tiger kit. The hull is a lot flimsier, being just a bent metal sheet, whereas the Tiger had the metal fitted into a plastic hull, giving a rigid structure. Also, some of the moulding is not very good - there is a fault round the base of the turret, as pointed out by billpe. It is not difficult to resolve, but with the money being charged, I would have expected better from Tamiya.
Richard
billpe

Post by billpe »

Yeah, it's definitely the lowest quality of the Tamiya kits. It's still 6061 grade aluminium and will work pretty well once the guides and rear hull is on. However it's general molding problems that seem to be it's main issue.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Stupid time again. I bought a pack of Schumo hatches. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. I had expected some sort of instruction or at least a picture showing where all the bits fit. Also, the brass castings are still attached to the moulding sprues. All in all, not a great product, IMHO, and definitely not good value. However, having purchased them, I shall proceed.
20160222_104705.jpg
20160222_104705.jpg (14.53 KiB) Viewed 5978 times
I have managed to work out that the left hand parts are the hinge fittings. I have no idea what the other its are, so I shall e grateful if someone could tell me what they are and where they go. Alternatively, photos of the htaches, real or model, showing their position would be just as good. Sorry about the quality of the photo. If it's not good enough, I will have another try.
Richard
billpe

Post by billpe »

All shumo parts come like that. No instructions and still on the sprue. Unfortunately they tend to provide some of the better and more accurate after market parts unless you go down the PE route.

Google is your friend though, Google Panther G hatches and you'll find good images as the G version was different so it's a talked about subject.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”