M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 3/12/20 Update, Gunner's Primary Sight (GPS)

Post by BarryC »

This update covers my decision to replace the highly modified and improved Heng Long lower hull & chassis with that of the Tamiya M1A2 display model.

Why such a change at the point, well when I looked at the Heng Long metal wheel detail as compared to the Tamiya plastic wheels there is simply no comparison. The HL wheels fell well short of matching the detail level I have built into the remainder of the model. I tried my best to adapt the Tamiya Wheel & Axle to the Heng Long Suspension Arm but No Joy!

Fortunately, I was able to use the gearbox mounting plate I had fabricated for the HL lower with the addition of an adapter plate to make use of the Tamiya gearbox mounting hole save one that had to be relocated. I also reused the rubber shock mounts to limit the transmission of noise and allow the gearboxes to flex a little. I also had to switch the LH High Mount Gearbox with a Mid Mount Gearbox to allow the Upper Hull to clear GB.

Original HL GB Mounting Plate

Adapter Plate with Shock Mounts

Relocated Mounting Hole (pictured lower right).

Gearboxes & Motors installed.

Now to mate the Heng Long Upper Hull and Belly Armor to the Tamiya chassis then on to the additional details like the Auto Track Tension Adjuster….still trying to figure that one out!

TAFN, Thanks for looking in!
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Jarlath
Corporal

Re: M1A1HA, 4/13/20 Update, Change to Tamiya Chassis

Post by Jarlath »

I honestly expected you to make a brass mounting plate for the motors with all the brass work that you do on the details...

Phenomenal work once again!
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Jarlath wrote:I honestly expected you to make a brass mounting plate for the motors with all the brass work that you do on the details...

Phenomenal work once again!
Brass you say... :think:

Thank you sir for the kind words. :)

I've been working to fit the HL upper hull to the chassis and it is proving to be trickery that I envisioned, but I shall prevail! Hopefully I'll have more pics over the weekend.

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

You have a great work. I pay tribute to your idea of inserting a shock plate between the gearbox and the chassis. I have a stay halter support (Tamiya full operation kit part number BB16, BB17) inserted between the Heng Long gearbox and the TAMIYA chassis, but I thought it would be better to insert a cushioning material between them. I am interested in and will refer to the progress of your work.
Wildboar44
Corporal

Re: M1A1HA, 2/13/20 Update, Commander's Coupla, 50cal. Mount

Post by Wildboar44 »

BarryC wrote:
Holy Shmoley... sorry Mr B, I seem to have missed your update, that is one fantastically detailed nest, congratulations on the build. :clap:
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Wow that chassis is a great looking piece Barry. The wheel detail is much better keep the pictures coming!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
MITCH
Lance Corporal

Post by MITCH »

It's a fantastic construction, well done! What details !!! Why not take the Tamiya engine with the chassis?
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

kintaroukinji wrote:You have a great work. I pay tribute to your idea of inserting a shock plate between the gearbox and the chassis. I have a stay halter support (Tamiya full operation kit part number BB16, BB17) inserted between the Heng Long gearbox and the TAMIYA chassis, but I thought it would be better to insert a cushioning material between them. I am interested in and will refer to the progress of your work.
Thank you, please feel free to use any of my work that may be useful. :)

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 2/13/20 Update, Commander's Coupla, 50cal. Mount

Post by BarryC »

Wildboar44 wrote:
BarryC wrote:
Holy Shmoley... sorry Mr B, I seem to have missed your update, that is one fantastically detailed nest, congratulations on the build. :clap:
Thank You Sir!

I am pretty please with the way things are going. :thumbup:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

c.rainford73 wrote:Wow that chassis is a great looking piece Barry. The wheel detail is much better Image keep the pictures coming!
Thanks Carl,

I tried to get the Tamiya Axle to fit the HL Suspension Arm but no luck!
The detail on the Tamiya Wheels necessitated the change.
The fitting of the upper HL Hull to the Tamiya Chassis is proving much more time consuming that the Gear Boxes did. :think:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”