M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 3/10 Update, ElMod Turret Electrical Installatio

Post by BarryC »

tomhugill wrote:Stunning install there Barry! Sorry the Clark didn't work out for you :(

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Thanks Tom,

Once I get the TK repaired I may have another go at it. :think:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

yan33 wrote:wow i love it so much
it's simply perfect :O :O :O :O
Thanks Mr Yan,

I am not sure about perfect but it all fit and is fairly neat and most importantly it works. :thumbup:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

abramsky wrote:Hello Barry
Outstanding job. I'm pretty sure you could easily handle something like this :) :) :):

http://www.dotcom-monitor.com/blog/wp-c ... -touch.jpg

My advice if you find any problems related to possible interference. You can twist the wires in pairs (+ and ground), especially those responsible for signal transmission.
Thank you sir!

I once worked wiring up electronic racks for a Sat. Comm. network and some of the racks looked like that!! :haha: :haha:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Ah Barry,
I see that you are a wiring neatness freak like myself...
Routing for cleanliness of install, cable ties abound (I found some really nice 1.8mm wide x 60mm long micro zip-ties on Ebay..)

I also see a bunch of tape holding wires in place (Servo Recoil), and wonder if you have access to these?
12.5mm wide, 3M adhesive aluminum wire clip.

I have a query however...
I am looking at your turret installation and it appears at first glace that you have built your framework around the 3S Lipo battery...
On/Off switch and mounting bracket (written on/off label on battery)
Potentiometer (Sound volume) over the back edge of the battery
I also noticed the mass additions on the front turret cheeks to balance the rotation forces due to the battery...
Is the 360 commutator just a housing? Most that run the smaller wires usually can only handle 2A and you have 4 motor wires going through.

Which brings me to my query...
How much of a hassle will it be to change the battery? I know in it's current configuration, the battery appears to remain a part of the tank and is charged with it installed as such (just with the main lead and balance plug hooked up to the Lipo charger).
However, what is going to happen when the battery starts to puff? (There is no stopping it as it is a chemical reaction, but you can control the rate of the electrolyte decomposition with proper care/usage).
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Jarlath,

Where can I get some of these? Although I don't do much changing out from stock electronics, I do like to "neatify" wiring to avoid potential snags.
wire_c10.jpg
wire_c10.jpg (22.25 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Jarlath,

Where can I get some of these? Although I don't do much changing out from stock electronics, I do like to "neatify" wiring to avoid potential snags.
wire_c10.jpg
As you're in the states, and he is in Canada, I think Google will be your friend here :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Oh, I see, "Ontario" is in Canada. And all this time I thought it was a type of sandwich cookie. :P
Oreo, Canada.jpg
Oreo, Canada.jpg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 1824 times
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Jarlath wrote:Ah Barry,
I see that you are a wiring neatness freak like myself...
Routing for cleanliness of install, cable ties abound (I found some really nice 1.8mm wide x 60mm long micro zip-ties on Ebay..)

I also see a bunch of tape holding wires in place (Servo Recoil), and wonder if you have access to these?

Hi Jarlath, The tape is just temporary for testing, it will get properly secured.
12.5mm wide, 3M adhesive aluminum wire clip.

I have a query however...
I am looking at your turret installation and it appears at first glace that you have built your framework around the 3S Lipo battery...
On/Off switch and mounting bracket (written on/off label on battery)
Potentiometer (Sound volume) over the back edge of the battery
I also noticed the mass additions on the front turret cheeks to balance the rotation forces due to the battery... I plan to reduce once the finished upper turret with all the brass is installed, some my still be needed for balance. I also have sprung rollers to install between the lower turret and the hull turret ring to help create balance. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3298912 ... 4c4dYp5Cpk
Is the 360 commutator just a housing? Most that run the smaller wires usually can only handle 2A and you have 4 motor wires going through. The Slip Ring has 2x10A Circuits (4 wires). I got it from RC Tank Legion. https://www.rctanklegion.com/products/s ... 2-wires-2a

Which brings me to my query...
How much of a hassle will it be to change the battery? I know in it's current configuration, the battery appears to remain a part of the tank and is charged with it installed as such (just with the main lead and balance plug hooked up to the Lipo charger). The battery slides out of the holder, It takes about 15 seconds to remove and will be charged outside the tank.
However, what is going to happen when the battery starts to puff? (There is no stopping it as it is a chemical reaction, but you can control the rate of the electrolyte decomposition with proper care/usage).
Leonardo Da Vinci
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

BarryC wrote: Hi Jarlath, The tape is just temporary for testing, it will get properly secured.
Excellent!

I plan to reduce once the finished upper turret with all the brass is installed, some my still be needed for balance. I also have sprung rollers to install between the lower turret and the hull turret ring to help create balance. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3298912 ... 4c4dYp5Cpk
These look more like Detent balls than a roller. It looks like if you compress the spring by putting mass on the ball, the rolling ability becomes less (Spring friction on the ball).

The Slip Ring has 2x10A Circuits (4 wires). I got it from RC Tank Legion. https://www.rctanklegion.com/products/s ... 2-wires-2a
Wow... I did not even know a Tamiya specific one existed. I'll have to look into that...

The battery slides out of the holder, It takes about 15 seconds to remove and will be charged outside the tank.
Glad to know that my initial impression from your images was mistaken. Excellent.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Jarlath wrote: These look more like Detent balls than a roller. It looks like if you compress the spring by putting mass on the ball, the rolling ability becomes less (Spring friction on the ball).
Jarlath,

I got the idea from another modelers build here on the site. Can not remember who now but they looked like a good idea. I have 10 of them to spread out the weight. They may not work but if they do not I'll get the rollers Tamiya uses on their Abrams and fit them. :thumbup:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”