M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 3/26 Update: Tow Cables, Blow Out Doors, Mt Brac

Post by BarryC »

Thanks you for the kind words Painless.

I used to paint and customize or build HO and O scale model railroad models. I worked with a close friend who owns a model railroad shop on the south side of Atlanta, GA. What I found was that working to a schedule on what had been my hobby, something I did for pleasure became a job and was no longer fun or a hobby.

More recently I worked with a resin caster in Oregon, mastering details for 1/32 scale aircraft models and again ran into the same problem. In fact that is what turned me to my current fascination. I had to do something different and strictly for my pleasure.

I enjoy modeling across many subjects and it helps keep my creativity sharp but it has to remain a hobby that I can put down and pick up at my leisure. :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Mr Front, that would still mean running a production line with casting after casting after endless casting.

But, an alternative, how about making some moulds of various parts before they're painted. And then selling those moulds to someone that is happy to use up their spare time mixing resin. How about you Mr Front ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Guys,

I would love to be able to help by offering some of the details for others use. I even considered it for myself as at one point I was considering builds of a M1A2 SEP and a Abrams M1 ABV but the reality of how long the current project has been in works convinced me that "folly" was not going to happen. Too many other projects I want to accomplish like the Leopard 2A6 CAN with Slat Armor, the massive Dragon 1/6 M4A3 converted to a M4A2, Trumpeter/Taigen T34/76, HL/DGS Firefly conversion. OH! then there's Ludwig's Centurion and M48A5 and I have a Tamiya's M155 Sheridan. :crazy:

So you can see why I am not interested in learning how to cast. That is the very reason I hooked up with Harold (AMS Resin) so I could get the duplicates of the parts I needed for my builds. In exchange I gave him the right to cast and sell them as part of his line. However he only does 1/48 and 1/32 aircraft details so I would have to pay him for the molds and parts then resell them, likely making them rather expensive.

If someone here were willing to do the molding and casting then I would consider making the masters available. Whom ever does it would be under a time constant from me as well as being liable for ensuring the safety of the master.

Cheers,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Hello Barry.

I am impressed by your wonderful remodeling and detailing. I use your photos and information during construction very much. Because just looking at the M1A2 photo of the actual aircraft, I do not understand well the detailed structure and shape of the tank accessories, handrails, mounting parts and handles. I can not reach your mod level very much, but I would like to brush up my M1A2 with your level as one goal.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Thank you sir for your kind words.

It has taken me over 50 years to acquire the modeling skills I now have and I am still learning. The Abrams build has taught me many new tricks and techniques. I am sure you will get better with each model you build. If you challenge yourself to be better with each model you build you will become as good as you want to be, that is how it is done. :thumbup:

Please feel free to use the pictures and information in my build in any way that can be helpful to you. But be careful as you are building an M1A2 and my build is a M1A1 HA (heavy armor) so many of the basic details may be different.

Cheers,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Time for another “installment” in the on going saga of the M1A1 HA Abrams. This time a model within a model!

External Auxiliary Power Unit (EAPU). I had originally thought I would just detail up the Trumpeter EAPU but the more I looked at it the less I thought it would fit in with the detail level of the overall build. So, I removed all molded-on detail and drilled out the fan opening and opened the exhaust outlet and drilled LOTS of holes!

I used NorthStar Models PE piano hinge set and expanded metal for the grills and lots and lots of Scale Hardware simulated bolts and rivets. Everything else was fabricated using brass tubing, channel, wire & sheet. The exhaust duct and the fan housing proved to be the greatest challenges. I made a fan blade disk though it will be hardly seen but I felt the urge, I figure if I weather it right it will be more visible.

I have one more daunting task and that is to make all the hex bolts heads slotted as well. I have a plan but uncertain as to how it will turn out. I’m thinking I can slot them using a razor saw but I can only do one at a time. I also must fabricate a holding fixture to keep the bolt head from moving and maintain the blade in alignment to the head.

I managed to fabricate and solder on the mounting eyelets to the lower bar of the Turret Bustle. Making them was not too bad but soldering them on was a bit challenging. I also got those “peaky” Slotted Mounting Brackets completed and installed.

Here are some pics of the 1:1 EAPU and my attempt at rendering it in 1/16 scale.

Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

EAPU continued

The Fan disk, though it will not be very visible I just had to do it. Perhaps properly weathered it will be a little more visible.

The constituent parts

The assembly, you can also see my attempt rendering countersunk cross point screws. I used a leather beading tool and a very small cross point screw driver filed down even smaller. I don't think they look to bad. :think:

In it's home

The eyelets and slotted mounting bars

TAFN,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: M1A1HA, 4/24 Update: External Aux Power Unit (EAPU)

Post by HERMAN BIX »

You’ve got to be kidding me !!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

GH3TT2U.gif
GH3TT2U.gif (497.52 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
That EAPU is a model in itself :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Thank you Herman and Mick!

I did not start out wanting to put quite so much effort into the EAPU it just kinda snow balled! 8O

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”