Oshkosh 6x6 truck build

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Oshkosh 6x6 truck build

Post by wibblywobbly »

A quick note to say that the shocks arrived and they are excellent quality. With them on maximum preload they support the Oshkosh shell without any sag, and still allow the wheels to move over obstacles. They don't come with with the insert in the bottom mount, so you have to ease one out of the old shock with pliers, and then persuade it into the new one. I had to use a vice and small socket to get them to pop in.

The bodyshell is almost complete, just finishing off fuel tanks, then a couple of small details to add. and then make some stowage.

After that I will strip and grease the axles and gearbox, and then look at a better esc/motor. That means buying a new tx and rx as the existing one will only run with the current setup. It runs fine on the flat but doesn't have the torque from a standstill to climb up and over high things that are right in front of the wheels. It now weighs 'quite a lot', which doesn't help! :/
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

A blooming awful clip showing that it all works. Steering servo now mounted on the front axle, which makes it a lot better.

Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

A better clip.
Now has upgraded shocks, steering servo mounted on front axle, and I have installed an HPI 55T 540 brushed motor. Still using standard esc and tx, and it is all nice and controllable. The new motor makes a difference, it hauls up over obstacles with ease now.

I am working on stowage, and currently finishing off a rack of six missiles, will post pics when finished.

Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

That's a real mean machine Rob! Looks great. :clap: :clap: :thumbup: Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Thank you kindly sir, it's getting there! :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Looks great. However, if I might make a suggestion. The body need more weight to give it inertia and more realistic behaviour. Not by any means a criticism.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The main reason the body doesn't move is because I have the shocks on maximum preload, I took this route so that when the wheels are fully compressed they don't rub on the mudguards, which would start doing damage. Running over cushions is pretty lightweight but when I run it over rocks etc everything will move a lot more, too much inertia on the bodyshell will cause a rollover, most of the weight is the cab at the moment, but when I have filled the loading bay with stowage it will add balance it all out. Once I know that it's finished I can adjust the shocks to match. Its a 60 second job, just rotate the spring adjuster on each shock, they are on a thread so a doddle to do. The shell just lifts off.

There is method in my madness. :angel:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I should have known you would have it all planned out - me and my big mouth!
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I wouldn't quite say that, I will reserve judgement on this project until I have run it over some serious stuff. I have no idea how or if the transmission will handle it. 8O
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Pretty much done now, I'm quite chuffed, never scratch built a truck like this before. Will take it for a run next week.
Attachments
DSCN1313.JPG
DSCN1312.JPG
DSCN1311.JPG
DSCN1310.JPG
DSCN1309.JPG
DSCN1308.JPG
DSCN1307.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1