sponges challenger 2 build

spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Re: sponges challenger 2 build

Post by spongehoobtank82 »

Also wanted to reduce the chance of stray wires going between turret ring and servo pinion so made the nifty little cover ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Woo indicators are in and wired up! Got myself a 2 port switch (one port for each indicator) so I can control the lights from one channel on the receiver, promptly soldered them in ImageImage

Now I could of wired them up with a plug instead of soldering them in but am never going to remove them so soldering was easier! ImageImage

So I also used I Y lead so the indicators and warning beacon are on one channel, this way I still have a spare channel for future upgrades, may do the rear indicators at some point, am also going to do a full video of all the features and running when I get a chance Image
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Finally my second indicator switch arrived! So now have front and back indicators, one word of note, if you want everything to work and your crap at cable management like me it ends up looking like this in there
ImageImage

A wiring jungle! But am happy with the result Image

May need to turn the brake light brightness down a smidge though ImageImageImageImage
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

Looking great!

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Black Knight wrote:Looking great!

Cheers BK! How's your challenger coming along? ImageImage

Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

Not too bacd cheers mate. Played with the tick control so I now have drive/turret rotation on the right and turn/gun elevation on the left - surprised me how much smoother it makes things! Just waiting now for a fully functioning board (with turret rotation) to arrive so I can tidy up the wiring and get some serious plying fone )think I've solved my track issue!).BTW what elevation/recoil unit are you running?

spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

That's an interesting idea about the sticks, I had considered changing them round, but I would prob crash am to used to the way they are, I have always thought about turret rotation on one stick and elevation on the other for finer control
Elevation/recoil unit? Well when I started we didn't have those really so you kinda just made your own so I still do (am not that old) Well the recoil is a BB unit cut up and a servo glued to the side to, it's more in depth than that though and the elevation is some more plasticard and another servo super glued to the turret roof, don't ask me about servo rotation either, that involves alot of plasticard and superglue, epoxy and polycement There used to be a guide on here somewhere how to do all that but not seen it in ages, if anyone wants to know how I can do a guide ( I think I have pictures) it's alot cheaper than buying them. Although it's not neat/pretty (on the inside) but anyone who has followed my builds will see am not into neat/pretty

Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

No worries. I have no-where near your skills or artistic tallents so I tend to concentrate on what I can do instead LOL. I found I have better control with the sticks seperated - i can turn accurately and smoothly at speed now. Regarding the elevation, I have a minor issue with mine that isn't something I think I can fix myself (it's a metal unit). Not to worry though (and sorry to hijack your thread)

spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Black Knight wrote:No worries. I have no-where near your skills or artistic tallents so I tend to concentrate on what I can do instead LOL. I found I have better control with the sticks seperated - i can turn accurately and smoothly at speed now. Regarding the elevation, I have a minor issue with mine that isn't something I think I can fix myself (it's a metal unit). Not to worry though (and sorry to hijack your thread)

Well what's the issues? Am sure I can come up with something, and to be fair in my humble opinion yours looks just as good as mine! And yours is neat and well laided out, something I can only aspire to Image

Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

I'll take that as high praise indeed!

My issue is that the toothed segment fitted to the side of the breach isn't tall enough - it doesn't cover enough of an arc to allow full elevation. The servo gear runs off the top and continues turning yet depression is fine. I have actually spoken to the manufacturer (DKLM) and he is looking into it at present.

Return to “Modern Builds”