1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post by PainlessWolf »

*chuckles with Alpha* Just trying to do things right. Anyway, Post came in yesterday with a neat little box of delight from East Coast Armory. I can work on the lower hull now while I wait to hear back from this fellow in England ( if he ever does ) Pics:
Attachments
Just an idea of how they will dress up the stock pieces.
Just an idea of how they will dress up the stock pieces.
Just an idea of how they will dress up the stock pieces..JPG (80.69 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
One of the resin lift hooks for the lower hull.
One of the resin lift hooks for the lower hull.
Skid rails and molded bolt closures.
Skid rails and molded bolt closures.
Lower hull and bogie sub-assemblies
Lower hull and bogie sub-assemblies
Neat little pack of resin assemblies and what they mainly concern
Neat little pack of resin assemblies and what they mainly concern
...Here for the Dawn...
Swamprat33
Lance Corporal

Post by Swamprat33 »

I have spoken to Lee at Newthorpe quite a few times and he seems pretty decent.
I have a mate whou knows him well who is asking lee about this matter.

Hope to get an update soon.

Cheers

Tim
1/6 Armortek Panther ausf.G
1/6 Armortek Panzer III ausf.J
1/6 Type 82 Funkwagen
1/6 Sdkfz 250/9
1/6 Sdkfz 2 Kettenkrad
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Tim,
This is very good news indeed! It's been almost ten years and those molds are probably long gone but I would definitely feel more confidant with some solid information from Lee.
Regards,
Painlless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

WAITING....You're waiting on "word"....We are all waiting for Christmas (to come and go ...mostly go :haha: )...and I'm still waiting on patience to get back to those damn Modelkasten tracks :P ..................Hope it hits before the New Year :haha:

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Today was a good day to really get busy on the Stuart. One of the first things I have planned is to detail, prime and paint the lower hull and running gear. I started by removing all of the exterior parts and noting where work was needed ( brass bushings, etc. ) Some work or replacement will be needed to have a working idler, I read it in Steinbrunner's excellent book but was still amazed. It takes a certain mode of thinking to make parts for a working idler and then design the mount to where it is screwed down tight with no movement possible! Pictures:
Attachments
Mounted with a 24 hour cure time...Progress!
Mounted with a 24 hour cure time...Progress!
Mounted with a 24 hour cure time...Progress!.JPG (92.17 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
Big parts and resin to plastic mean it's time to call in my favorite Adhesive's Big Brother.
Big parts and resin to plastic mean it's time to call in my favorite Adhesive's Big Brother.
like this.
like this.
like this..JPG (98.93 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
Cast on lift hooks are way off from the real thing...
Cast on lift hooks are way off from the real thing...
Cast on lift hooks are way off from the real thing....JPG (76.45 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
...yet the Idler assembly is cast as one piece and mounts on this base which makes any movement impossible.
...yet the Idler assembly is cast as one piece and mounts on this base which makes any movement impossible.
...yet the Idler assembly is cast as one piece and mounts on this base which makes any movement impossible..JPG (83.88 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
Spring and mount for a working Idler arm
Spring and mount for a working Idler arm
Spring and mount for a working Idler arm.JPG (79.01 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
Tread wear marks.  The entire set of running gear could stand some shimming.
Tread wear marks. The entire set of running gear could stand some shimming.
Tread wear marks. The entire set of running gear could stand some shimming..JPG (83.59 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
Lower hull is rigid and well cast but some of the areas are very thin and will need bracing.
Lower hull is rigid and well cast but some of the areas are very thin and will need bracing.
Complete lot of running gear including one with the right road wheels mounted.
Complete lot of running gear including one with the right road wheels mounted.
One side's worth of parts
One side's worth of parts
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Can't help but think how much of a difference this build is in comparison to your last build Painless....looks like there is Gobs of room :D
Interesting thing ...that Idler mount 8O

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Alpha ;o)
In ways, that makes thinking how to organize things even more interesting than having less space. It takes a bit of cognizance to make the right choice out of many good ones. That idler arm, I swear! ( loudly and vociferously ) There is this resin one : http://www.panzerwerk.com//index.php?pa ... t&Itemid=1 (wow, the link ;o) which the site states in no uncertain terms that it is only meant for static builds. I may be able to take parts of it and meld them with the stock mount and wind up with a working idler arm. It's something I am thinking over. I might be able to make the entire stock assembly including the base have limited range of movement also by rigging the stock parts. That too is up in the air at the moment.
regards, my friend,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I literally Drool when I see gobs of space :haha: ...but yes I would agree....with more space ...comes more ideas ...with more ideas...space becomes limited :haha: pretty ironic ...but fun in it's own way lol
That resin Idler assy...looks awful nice....making it work shouldn't really be a problem...I can see where it can be cut and reattached ...the trick would be the "kind" of resin it's made of ;)

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Kiaser,
Thank you, very much! I have gotten an email from Lee in England and while he searches, a hold is on any old parts replication per his request. As for the rest of the tank, work is going forward in starts and halts. Per the posted pics, I need to run down to the local hardware store and pick up some bolts to finish the detail sets on the bogies. We were on the receiving end of a Blizzard that dropped 14 inches of snow yesterday with wind chills below 0. I am a little slow to get moving again while we dig out. Pics:
Attachments
Detail parts, old and new
Detail parts, old and new
what it should look like...
what it should look like...
Disassembled bogie
Disassembled bogie
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hey there Painless....I posted this video on another thread...don't know if you saw it before or yet..

This guy gas powered his Stuart....looks like he did a solid job...maybe you can use some of his Ideas and Techniques
IMO...the speed he achieved looks right for the Stuart....the cream on top....He managed to catch some air :D

ALPHA

Return to “Larger Scale Military”