"KRIEG-SCHWEIN" STuG III

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Re: "KRIEG-SCHWEIN" STuG III

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Hi Herman.

Just crashed in on this. I love the Stug III! Its nice to have something that Tamiya have never done...

Started one a while back and I have all the parts - Asiatam / Taigen lower, Impact tracks, metal barrel, etc - but I entered the doldrums when it came to the recoil. I just cannot stand the HL recoil. Servo seems to be the way, but if anyone can install a Taigen recoil in it then I will be sorely tempted to go for a Normandy Stug before my Panzer IV...

Keep up the good work!

Tanks
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman,
Your pardons, sir but I wanted to answer Tank's query with a picture:
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Everything in the casemate wired and organized.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Go your hardest mate, a pictures worth a thousand so it's said!
I understand the doldrums Mr Tanks, I got that on the PzIII munition that I did a while back. The standard h/l recoils not great, but it will do for my line of thought.
The next one I do will have an elmod board fitted, so a better recoil system may also go, but it's a fair way off yet once this, the T34/85 and PzIV are done .
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Well, home after a long weekend away down south. Kids were very good considering the amount of time in the car, covered some 2821.4kms in the round trip including a 13 hour marathon to get home 8O :yawn:
Got a bunch of pictures of the worlds rarest tank.........."Mephisto" an A7V from WWI, complete with all its goodies.
I might even try building one :think:

Had some time to myself this evening so decided to lay a driveway ..................and a footpath !!
The right hand side turned out better than the left, but the stuff is still wet so will see in the morning how they look.
Might even mask these off for painting so they retain the concreted look, not sure yet.
Once I clean up the edges and seal it, this should be the look I'm after.
Used a mortar compound for bricks.
Attachments
PA221977.JPG
PA221974.JPG
PA221975.JPG
PA221976.JPG
PA221971.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman,
That's the look all right! Following along. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Boy it's lucky you two (Painless ..Herman) stuck to the HL style chassis...found out my Taigen is totally wrong...it has off set suspension arms when it is supposed to be symmetrical :| Now I have to start from square one :thumbdown:

ALPHA
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

A-sym eh !
Cant really say mate, the H/L chassis I have is all I need and seems to offer the right compromise of accuracy(3 stage setting slot aside) and robustness. Cheaper than an L.A. "medicinal-bong" consult too :haha:
The concrete cured pretty well, although a bit coarse for my liking on the drivers side, so may intervene & apply a diluted mix of PVA & water to tone it down a bit. This should also help seal it up regardless of the paint option.
Next up is the hollowing out of the air vents each side of the engine bay. I have brass for the grilles and really need to get rid of the moulded sections in order to better utilise the nice brass PE.
I will hazard a statement & say..................these STuG's are the Sherman of the German tanks.
The most produced, the most variants, and it seems, the most user-customised out of all the marks.
Its a safe bet to do the "Beverly Hillbilly" look on them & not get it wrong :eh:
Attachments
PA231972.JPG
Hardened concrete
Hardened concrete
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman,
The side vents on your StuG should pop off as a unit. There are accurately molded sets with the louvers available that are ready to have the screens attached, no 'hollowing out' work needed. Here are the pics showing them on the Ausf B. Oz Armor or Tank Army should have them there in Australia.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
A huge improvement already....JPG
A huge improvement already....JPG (97.42 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
The replacement Taigen upgrades are a very nice recreation of the real thing and snap into place just like the originals..JPG
The replacement Taigen upgrades are a very nice recreation of the real thing and snap into place just like the originals..JPG (96.55 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
A couple of drops of 'Uncure' help make the removal of the stock HL airboxes a snap (no pun intended).JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Nope, neither of them have your type Mr Painless.
Shame too, theyre good & would have saved a bit of work. Oh well,out with the brute force instruments :haha:
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
On with the tools then, Doc. If you're not in a hurry, http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/asia ... -497-p.asp from Welsh Dragon.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”