Got bored of tanks, so did something daft

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Got bored of tanks, so did something daft

Post by billpe »

Ok, I didn't get bored of tanks, how could you? I wanted to try something different, very different:

I've had a few RC cars in the past but decided to go bananas and try my hand at a 5th scale conversion of the normally petrol powered Losi DBXL. It's nearly done, just waiting on a few parts. Will be running on 8S, powering a Toro 780kv motor - it's about the size of a coke can and pumps out around 13hp.

Got a few other electric powered cars but the conversions are easy on those but this was a little different. At least I learnt something, like how to wire up 4 2S batteries in serial. I think I learnt more about electrics doing this than I did at school.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: Got bored of tanks, so did something daft

Post by jackalope »

Bill, careful! When I upgraded a Tamiya AWD on road car to a huge brushless motor and 3c lipo battery all I did was start chasing parts that break! :haha: I wound up having to machine my own spur gear center from aluminum.
billpe

Post by billpe »

They always break at some point, that's half the fun. It's not like I put a 15S capable motor in it like you can do!
Muscleflex
Lance Corporal

Post by Muscleflex »

Nice but surely gas powered is more fun on cars?! You just can't beat the smell of smoke and the sound!
Planes and cars i leave on gas/glow power. helis - definitely electric! :)
billpe

Post by billpe »

The noise and smell is great but I have to be mindful of where I can run it. Some of the spots I use don't mind cars but a petrol may change that, especially a big 29+ cc jobby with a big pipe. Having it make almost no noise opens lots of places up where it's ok to thrash cars around. If I had a 5th scale track nearer I'd have probably kept it petrol.

Also, these days, you can get some seriously powerful electric setups - this will perform better, albeit for not as long, as a petrol version. Not only is the centre of gravity lower and weight distribution able to be customised but weighs less and has buckets of instant torque.
brizo58

Post by brizo58 »

Hi Bill,
Yep nice to have a change. I got my 1/7th F1 Red Bull RB7 out to finish off :thumbup: do like the smell of fuel. Then back to me tanks :haha: . Brian...

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”