1/4 scale Tiger 1 (as a driving model)

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Firebird
Recruit

Re: 1/4 scale Tiger 1 (as a driving model)

Post by Firebird »

OK it's been a while but after a lot of different ideas and prototypes I've ended up with a driving hull, 78 days work to now and triple my original budget.

It is very heavy at 230kgs "with its little driver" so far but more to go on it like a gun barrel and detailing but hope it will come out at around 250kgs, it drives straight ahead fine but steering is hard mainly because the controller drops the power by half when turning, this can be programmed out but I need a joystick that can handle more power first as mine is only a 50 amp but they go up too 120 amp so I'll see what I can find.

I have tried to up load a video of it driving but the file is too large and I'm not good with this sort of thing, however my daughter has put a couple on Facebook under Surf coast Cruisers which or Kevin Paul, if someone likes they can put up a link to here but I'm clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I'm keen to see how your labour has gone mate..............someone will get the I.T. sorted so we can all benefit
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

I remember when you started this project, glad to hear you're making some progress. I'd love to see some pics!
OdysseySlipways
Recruit

Post by OdysseySlipways »

i'd be happy with just seeing pictures of the progress but will see if i can find that FB page you spoke of.

as to your joystick, is it like a regular, arcade game type? if so i am guessing it has 4 micro/cherry switches on it that then operate relays. if your in need running more amps, i would just replace the relays for something heavier.

what are you using as a speed controller?
OdysseySlipways
Recruit

i just tried looking for Surf Coast Cruisers but didn't see anything for the tank (it might not have let me go back far enough). i am currently looking for Kevin Paul but there's oddles of them so something more than kevin paul is needed
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

Hi I'm using the wheel chair controller, I did have a 50 amp but it was American and the local guys could not get in too it to reprogram it, as you can go in and up the amount of power to the motors because they are set with delays and power restrictions to prevent accidents and protect doorways and furniture in the home, anyway they found another 70amp controller which they reprogrammed for me and it made a lot of difference and it now drives and turns much better, all tho the paint floor in their workshop didn't like it at all.

I've not had a chance too test it to see how long it lasts yet but I'm already looking for a 100 or 120 amp controller and may be some 4 pole motors from the larger Wheel chairs, I'm also thinking of 4x 50 amph batteries instead of the 2 I'm using at the moment.

I have the video clip on my email, so I could email it to you if you want to PM me your address, or try Kevin Paul, Penzance. it may be that facebook is blocking you on Surf coast cruisers, thanks for trying though, I spent hours trying so I know what its like.

Failing that I'll try to get some more pictures.
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

tank 18%.jpg
This is a pictures from a while ago of the hull but its further along now. still needing a lot more detailing though.
OdysseySlipways
Recruit

any updates?
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

well its up and running all though there are a few motor and controller up grades that could be made it still drives on tarmac, concreate mine waste, rough farm lanes, etc it doesn't like grass or brambles as they drag the charge out of the batteries much quicker and it doesn't turn so easily on those, it did how ever do 5 laps around a car show field the other day and was like the Pied piper, being followed every where and so many question that I didn.t get time too see the cars until they were leaving, it was the only vehicle there that had its picture made it into the local paper.

The farthest it has been on one charge is about 1.5 miles around the housing estate where I live and the up the 7 steps outside my house, but then the controllers safety program shut it down to prevent it overheating, I cooled down in a few minuets and still had enough power to drive up into the back of my truck and more, so it has not been tested to its limits yet.

The Tank is complete as far as the deck is on the body with the turret that rotates but only manually, the gun elevation is via an old car window winder mech which works well, the cannon and mantle are complete and the exhausts and shields are made and fitted as are the grills on the rear deck, however it still needs a lot more detail plus the work Machine Gun, and then some sort of mech for the Cannon to work.

I may need some help on Smoke and Sound though which will need to be Loud because when its running on a hard surface it makes a hell of a din. :thumbup:

I'm sorry I still havn't managed a Video or any good pic's yet but I'll try to enlist the help of a child again later :'(
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

My daughter has put a couple of clips on youtube of the tank hull a couple of months ago on its first test drives there is a bit more detail on it now though but I'll need to get more pictures.

I hope these links work.

https://youtu.be/JJpk1KRS0SA

https://youtu.be/H2K0HLfZs8Q
Last edited by Firebird on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”