Basics: Out of the box

Fixes and mods for the HL Panzer IV
Mackem
Staff Sergeant

Basics: Out of the box

Post by Mackem »

Another excellent tank from Heng Long. The Pz IV F1 is slightly better detailed than the Pz III and there are masses of aftermarket mods available.

But yet again Heng Long have made a couple of deliberate errors that are quickly corrected :-

1: The tracks will be on the wrong way round. Remove the drive sprockets and swap the tracks round, or pop one of the pins that hold the tracks together and swap them round. ( Detailed info on how to do this can be found in the FAQ section. )

2: The TC's cupola is nearly always out of alignment. I'm beginning to think this may be happening while the tank is being transported. Simply twist it so that the vision port that is in line with the centre of the hatches faces directly forwards.

That's the most basic fixes for the Pz IV.

Cheers
John
HE/HL Leopard 2-A5, HL Pz IV-F1, HL Jagdpanther (WIP), M26A1 Pershing (WIP), HL Pz III M (WIP), Bandai Hummel (WIP)
littletankman
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Basics: Out of the box

Post by littletankman »

Hi Mackem ,

I have just bourght a HL Pz.IV and ive noticed the rear idler sits to high and the mantlet seams a little to wide ?

Littletankman
HL: Tiger I sSS101 2nd Kompanie (212), HL: PzIII/Stug , Tam: sherman(fo) ,Tam: Sherman (vintage) ,Tam: Kingtiger(fo) ,Tam: Kingtiger (vintage,upgraded) , 21st Cent Sdkfz 251 (static at the mo ) / Son HL panther(altered) ,Son HL Tiger1 sSS101 1st Kompanie , HL Pz.IV , daughter HL Tiger1 sSS101 hopefu
Mackem
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mackem »

Yep, the rear idler is a bit high, and the mantlet is way too wide.
I left the idler alone on my Pz IV but I did modify the gun mantlet.
HE/HL Leopard 2-A5, HL Pz IV-F1, HL Jagdpanther (WIP), M26A1 Pershing (WIP), HL Pz III M (WIP), Bandai Hummel (WIP)
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Hi Mackem ,
Nice tank . Im thinking of making mine the late Ausf.H .That has the frontal interlocking armour like the J . I do like the mesh screens insted of the solid skirts , but I prefer the horizontal exhaust rather than the verticul ones . And Ive read that by the time the mesh skirts were added they should have the newer exhausts . I now the first Js had the older exhaust on the early model . Im thinking of doing mine from the 12th SS as there is lots of pictures of them . Id like to do a later one with mesh skirts and the three return rollers not four and with a swivel cupola lid . Ive made mine a single piece lid now that hinges .
HL: Tiger I sSS101 2nd Kompanie (212), HL: PzIII/Stug , Tam: sherman(fo) ,Tam: Sherman (vintage) ,Tam: Kingtiger(fo) ,Tam: Kingtiger (vintage,upgraded) , 21st Cent Sdkfz 251 (static at the mo ) / Son HL panther(altered) ,Son HL Tiger1 sSS101 1st Kompanie , HL Pz.IV , daughter HL Tiger1 sSS101 hopefu
Mackem
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mackem »

You really can't go wrong as far as the Pz IV is concerned. One book will say that a certain version should have a certain type of exhaust or cupola hatch, and another book will contradict it. The simple truth is that all German tanks by the later stages of the war were fitted with the parts that were available at the time.

A late war Pz IV with mesh skirts, turret schurzen, anti-aircraft gun etc will make a great build thread. I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Cheers
John

PS: We like plenty of pics, and don't hesitate to ask for help if you have any problems with it.
littletankman

Post by littletankman »

Hi John yer I love photos  ;D The book I have shows different mounts on the tanks for the skirts for solid its the angle bar with triangle mounting pieces and for the mesh skirts its a tubolar bar and hinged mounts with two settings normal and one to take the wider tracks . I have seen a picture of a Pz.IV with the mesh fittings ment to be later on in Normandy . So its hit and miss . Im doing mine as an Ausf H late version with no side filters and solid skirts from 12 xx as theres loads of photos of this unit.
. still need loads of parts and advice please once I started . Thanks for the advice . Im sure I will be back with more questions if you dont mind  :-\
Thanks Andy
Mackem
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mackem »

No probs Andy, happy to help.
By the way, nice choice, from the pics I've seen the 12th had some excellent cammo schemes.

Cheers
John

Return to “HL Panzer IV”