spraying, rattle cans or air brush?

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: spraying, rattle cans or air brush?

Post by billpe »

AlwynTurner wrote:Hi Billpe, It wasn't just the moisture, it was the speed. I didn't realize how slow airbrushing is when you are tackling something the size of the Abrams. It is probably fine for small jobs or delicate finishing work but for a large tank it just takes too long. Alwyn
What airbrush and paint do you use? If you have a dual control, just turn up the pressure a little and let more air and paint flow. If you're concerned about the time it takes to paint you can get larger capacity air brushes, after all if you go to a car body shop, they don't use cans or brushes but industrial air brushes.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Billpe, unfortunately the budget only ran to a cheap compressor from evilbay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRBRUSH-SET- ... true&rt=nc
so it's pretty basic. I did buy a better airbrush
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbrush-Kit- ... true&rt=nc
but really neither of these is up to a serious painting job on a whole tank as I should have realised. Given the budget I would have gone for a compressor with a tank and moisture trap but the budget (and missus) dictate that this wasn't an option. I think the airbrush will be useful for detailing and weathering though but need to get it working properly first, read my 'complete airbrush manual' carefully, practice with it, and should then be able to get the best out of what I have.
I have been using acrylic paint but not the expensive airbrush stuff, and have carefully diluted it as per many of the excellent youtube 'how to' videos so the mixture was properly diluted and well mixed before use.
For the bigger jobs I will stick to rattle cans and hairy stick. Thanks for the input though. Regards Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
plato83
Recruit

spraying rattle cans or air brush

Post by plato83 »

I am sorry, it does not approach me. Perhaps there are still variants?
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

This guy https://www.youtube.com/user/genessismo ... d=0&view=0 does some nice airbrush reviews. I bought an Iwata HP-CS on the strength of it.
mike1268
Corporal

Post by mike1268 »

I ended up getting one of these, its done a great job so far

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I spent £40 quid on a crap compressor and airbrush and wish I had spent the extra £20 on a compressor with a tank, so that looks like a good deal. Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Post by foxtrotraptor »

I was wondering about this as well, I decided to just go for it and use the rattel can due to limited money and limited painting skills lol. I used Camo Sand, before I sprayed that I put on some flat gray primer. Used painters tape to protect the insides and lights. I was done in 2 days. Thats including hand painting the Brown camo pattern with a sponge and small details with a brush. So you can get some decent results. It all depends on budget and how detailed you really want it. :thumbup:

Ideals are peaceful, history is violent.
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

I'm with the consensus, I use rattle cans for primer and base color, then an airbrush for detailing and camo.Here's a link to the compressor and ab I use most. I know you don't have the store over there, but I bet you can find sometime comparable. It has a pressure switch, so it doesn't run non stop. I hooked mine up to a home made air log that has 3 abs hooked to it. I can generally spray for about 5 minutes without it kicking back on after it's gotten up to pressure.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-hp-58- ... 69434.html

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

capt midnight wrote:I'm with the consensus, I use rattle cans for primer and base color, then an airbrush for detailing and camo.Here's a link to the compressor and ab I use most. I know you don't have the store over there, but I bet you can find sometime comparable. It has a pressure switch, so it doesn't run non stop. I hooked mine up to a home made air log that has 3 abs hooked to it. I can generally spray for about 5 minutes without it kicking back on after it's gotten up to pressure.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-hp-58- ... 69434.html

Bill
Bill where did you find my air compressor???Image
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

I used one of these to get to this:
IMG_0497.jpg
IMG_0397.jpg
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,