The 3D Printer Thread

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
wibblywobbly
Major

The 3D Printer Thread

Post by wibblywobbly »

It seems that the tech is moving along fast, and that prices are dropping to realistic levels, so this thread has been created to discuss all things 3D printing.

Maybe you have one and have experience to share, or maybe you are thinking of buying one and would appreciate some advice.

I do a bit of scratch building, and there is a limit to how small parts can be before I can't make them, the other issue is making multiple parts that need to line up perfectly (the excavator arm on my Kodiak build is a prime example). I understand 'drawings' and 'geometry', and I am happy to spend time creating the files to make the parts, as well as spend time building the printer...but which one to go for? There are now a lot of printers on the market. Some are RTR manufactured, some are per-built open source, and some are kits.

I have spent some time looking at videos, output, how to get good results, and prices. If I can get one in kit form that does the job well and is upgradeable for sub £300, then I would go for it...but which one??

SmartRap (seems to be very popular)

Printrbot Simple Metal (top rated)
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: The 3D Printer Thread

Post by edpanzer »

I think I saw an ad on TV for a magazine where you collect pieces very month to build your own 3D printer... Proberbly an expensive way of getting one mind.
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
Woz

Post by Woz »

Reading forums etc heres two things to think about.

Try and get one that prints without being connected to a computer (if a background program starts it can mess up the printing). Also look for one that doesn't have a build plate that moves on the X and Y axis. That's a lot of weight moving around and there's a higher chance the print will wobble.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I was wondering about those two, though I wouldn't use the pc for anything while it was printing, I have a couple so one can just sit there dedicated to the printer. The moving plate seemed to be an added source of wobble, so I am glad that you confirmed it. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi I'm subscribing to the 3D magazine one, it works out at £679 for the complete unit but it does include the 3D program and also a drawing package for your computer. Plus for me the important thing, as a computer dunce you end up with a 90 lessons in booklet form on how to use it and start drawing in 3D and programing a 3D printer, which you can always use a reference when your mind goes blank.
regards Denzil
opp's you said get off the road
Woz

Post by Woz »

hawkeye3guns wrote:Hi I'm subscribing to the 3D magazine one, it works out at £679 for the complete unit but it does include the 3D program and also a drawing package for your computer. Plus for me the important thing, as a computer dunce you end up with a 90 lessons in booklet form on how to use it and start drawing in 3D and programing a 3D printer, which you can always use a referance when your mind goes blank.
regards Denzil

My printer is going for less then that now. Ready built, 12 months warranty and the software needed for slicing.

htt[url]p://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-printer-WANHAO-DU ... 3389d02d5b[/url]
Woz

Post by Woz »

wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I had heard of that test elsewhere but never seen it, though a quick read through the comments beneath reveal that the $22k printer is designed to produce gearboxes etc in ABS, rather than coffee cups. Good demo of the Printrbot's quality though.

Looked at the online mag ad for the printer that comes in instalments. It looks nice in the pics, but the spec of the completed item is probably half of a standard kit, at double the price. Eg Self levelling, heated bed, max print size etc...and I doubt that it is upgradeable? With the drop in prices and almost monthly improvements in parts and design, we may be looking at sub £200 printers by the time the magazine subscription finished?

The Simplebot is still at the top of my list for price vs spec, the RichRap is a close second (been reading his blog, and he is making some interesting printers http://richrap.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/3 ... lease.html).
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Woz

Post by Woz »

I know the $22 can do more complicated things but it does show that the printers at the lower end of the market are good enough for the needs of most scale modellers.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Woz, you may be able to answer this question, as I can't find the info on the web.

Printers are described as PLA or dual PLA/ABS.

However, there are lots of other filament types, eg Nylon, Wood effect etc. So, do you know which category these fall into, can I use Nylon in a PLA extruder etc, or does it need an ABS machine?

The question also arises as to what makes a printer PLA or ABS, is this down to the nozzle, the control board or the firmware? Eg Can a PLA printer be converted to ABS, or do I have to make the decison when I buy the printer and stay with it?
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “3D Printing”