M7 Priest scratchbuild

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: M7 Priest scratchbuild next project

Post by wibblywobbly »

Alwyn, you said that when you started the trucks, so we already know that you are going to produce a work of art. The Priest is one of those 'will make one, one day' tanks on my list, but every time I have looked at one I have run away screaming.

Hope you get the bits that you need, and I am looking forward to the build.

Cheers

Rob
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

Look forward to watching your build.

The only real hard part is getting the gun movement right. When the gun is fully elevated there isn't a lot of room for it to move left and right.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Woz, what did you use for the howitzer please? I want to have a raise/lower barrel as with a tank using the transmitter, and would like a recoil function, did you manage to fit all that in? Thanks Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Woz, yes you can see from the plan that the gun had very limited traverse, only abour 15 deg lefft and about 20 deg right traverse, and I guess with an elevated barrel it would be even tighter
Wouldn't want to be gun crew with a high shot at significant traverse, I guess they would try and manouver to get a straight shot where possible.
Regards Alwyn

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

This is the max elevation I can get out of my gun

and it only just fits

I used a HL Sherman elevation unit

I had to make a lot of card mock ups before getting it right.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Wow Woz, that is awesome modelling. When I get to the appropriate point can I please query you re aspects of the build? Re the elevation I suspect that is about all the gun could achieve in a real fire situation due to the limited cab space. Regards Alwyn

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Great excitement as my parcels arrive from Dave at Forgebear - thanks Dave! :thumbup:
I now have my chassis, receiver, RX18, and additional cable and sockets so that's all I need to get a running chassis and start building my tank.
The Mission begins!! (Priest .. Mission... cue Gabriels Oboe - no never mind it wasn't that good :D :D ). Maybe the theme tune from Mission Impossible?
Anyway I'd better finish the Matador before I get too engrossed in this. More pics as things progress. Alwyn

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi I think I have just done something silly! :thumbdown: I got a Mato sherman lower body from forgebear and have just tried to connect up the rx18 board that I had and try it out, and got a burning electrical smell from the rx18, Is the rx18 not compatible with the mato lower hull, and if so what should I be using? I realise on reflection that it did say RX18 board for heng long tanks. Duh!

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
It's my understanding that the RX 18 can be used in the Mato Sherman, Alwyn but that it requires a complete removal of the old wiring harness and replacement by all of those wires that came with your RX-18. Someone who is an Electrical sort here on the board can definitely enlighten you more. When I redid 'In The Mood', I just replaced the old Mato board with a Mato 2.4GHz set and even that required some rewiring ( because my Mato Sherman was one of the original manufacture series)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Painless, all I did was plug in the new receiver board I got from forgebear, plug in the motors left and right, plug in the loudspeaker and volume control, , none of the turret stuff or ir was required so didn't plug those in, and of course plug in the power, and then came the dreaded burning smell and smoke when switched on. I'm not sure what else could need rewiring?

Return to “Other Builds”