Bedford MWD 1/16 RC Scratch build

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Bedford MWD 1/16 RC Scratch build

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well things are moving on. Re the tarps I've found some of the wifes linen serviettes which have never graced the table since purchase (they are black!) and with her kind permission I will use those for the tarps.
Here are the latest pics:
and in the spray shop (aka garden shed)
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well it's back from the paint shop and ready for finishing, plus I've got to do some work on the lego technics wheels and the canopies.
I've been working on the serviettes which are actually cotton not linen, and I seem to be making progress by using some water-soluble filling compound to proof it and then painting on top. By the looks of it the result should look very weathered so that parts accomplished. I am going to review some of the how-to paint effect tips before trying to give the model some character.

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

genius mate !
tankmad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by tankmad »

Great job well done looking good.
Stevie
http://www.tankworld.co.uk
This is not an obsession I can give it up anytime
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

What a turn around Alwin :clap: Cool runabout :thumbup:

ALPHA
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

And now the load bed tarpaulin:

I'm not really happy with the end result, there must be a way to make the tarp more 'weathered - any suggestions? I think I put 1 coat too many acrylic, I should have left it looking more see-through maybe?

ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I might suggest some airbrushed pin lines perhaps a little fading with a lighter color around the fenders...all in all though ...think you did a great job on this :thumbup:

ALPHA
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks Alpha, I'm waiting for some small rings so I can put them on and rope down the tarp to the fastening points. I think I have some matt camo colours and might try lightly brushing some of that on (dry brush type effect) I'll try it out on some offcuts.

ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

AlwynTurner wrote:Thanks Alpha, I'm waiting for some small rings so I can put them on and rope down the tarp to the fastening points. I think I have some matt camo colours and might try lightly brushing some of that on (dry brush type effect) I'll try it out on some offcuts.
If you are using a brush...dilute black...use the finest brush and see how the color travels on a practice sheet of paper ...then you chase all the "lines" on your truck...dry brush is great for showing light wear ...if you do do the pinlining... do it before you dry brush ;)

ALPHA
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Any advice on mud stains/mud splatter techniques, I am making some progress on getting the truck to look 'tatty' but it needs the mud/various stains?
Thanks Alwyn

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”