Pennsylvania / LONG ISLAND RR

This section is for all of you who would like to 'show and tell' about your Trains / Locomotives - whatever the scale or gauge!
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Pennsylvania / LONG ISLAND RR

Post by ALPHA »

Something rolled in today....over a month in transit
Pennsylvania K4S 4-6-2 Streamlined Pacific...the Torpedo

The end ...................... ;)

TooT TooT GentsImage

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

The K4 is made by MTH....there's a bunch of them floating around out there so the engine isn't rare....cast pot metal bodies for the engine and the tender ...ok...but not as detailed as a brass engine ...........have one in Brass...but that one is Ho...I think in this case the O has much to be desired.... for one thing it really isn't the right color...It isn't supposed to be done up in Brunswick green...Pennsy had a different Special mix of their iconic Tuscan Red ...as the engine was used to pull the Broadway Limited passenger line ....My Ho version is factory painted in that scheme other than that ...the flying wings with keystone is correct...and all the gold striping :D

One silver lining point is that it's nicer than the one produced by Lionel....If you get the post war version...it's a terrible representation...and thing is Lionel never fixed a thing... and the current release..still has the same flaws...though some of the workings are debatably better...the outer shell still has the rather large "lionel" metal plate fixed to the side of the engine :thumbdown:

This one didn't cost much...and because it's so common...I might just repaint her to the appropriate color ;)

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

While on Hiatus .... This was delivered to my door...Man I was so happy when I opened it ... it was a super bargain ..so I thought the condition would be bad...to my surprise this engine was in almost MINT condition... the drivers and third rail contact had almost zero wear on them ...and the motor had no smell ...the paint was so nice I think I'm going to keep it in this color scheme...even though it isn't quite prototypical of the railroad....
One of my Favorite Diesel power engines + B unit...the BALDWIN RF 16............SHARK :D

A unit
B unit...non powered dummy ;)
The nose is what attracted me to this engine...it is the only Diesel "hooded" engine to be streamlined in this manner... if you notice...the profile is very
similar to the T1 Duplex...probably why I like it so much :D

TOOT TOOT GENTSImage

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

This is what the NYC paint job should look like...
but custom painting it might devalue it...so I'm leaving it as is :D

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

This is the Pennsylvania paint scheme...which is what I was going to do if it arrived in terrible condition...it didn't so it will remain how it is :D

Pennsylvania was notorious for being different from other RRs ... note how the horns are mounted ...and the antenna added to the rooftops of the A units ... The only company that puts out a "brass" version with the antenna is Lionel...it was a special limited run...and is very very expensive..I got mine for 1/10th of the cost...so was a perfect candidate for a mod...but it is in such pristine shape... I'm not touching it ;)

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

This is the same brass Shark with the Pennsylvania road name on it...as you can see it would take a lot of work to bring it to a "prototypical" standard
So Considering the rather High base price (in comparison to what I got the NYC one for) it really wasn't worth going after one of these...the upside to it is that the brass engines are classic Williams engines.... the new versions are now made of Plastic ...though they are painted in the proper schemes ;)

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

New engine arrived today :D
Even though it's a Lionel... I was skeptical...as it is described to have a die cast shell and tender...so in my mind I had the impression it would be as the MTH Torpedo was
I got a super deal on it... so I took the chance
Here it is ...the Lionel special edition Pennsylvania T1 4-4-4-4 Duplex

Surprisingly enough...Lionel still stood for quality...this engine is a real beauty...the detail is as good if not better than a brass engine..I am so happy I went for this one.. She's a fine Example of Lionel as well as Pennsylvania Pride :D

TOOT TOOT GENTS Image

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

New Addition to my caboose collection.... Finally!.... got one of these Pennsylvania Bobbers :D

Back when EBAY was a hobby ;) ...and collecting cabooses was a past time.... this little bugger always got away :lolno:
Not sure if it is the roadname...the molded gold undercarriage ...but this little guy would command a pretty penny back then
A pretty common caboose...made by Lionel...But the Pennsy used to always attract attention...and bids would soar
Got a super deal on this one :D

TOOT TOOT GENTS Image

ALPHA

PS. Bobbers were called Bobber because of the lack of suspension ...there were no trucks... just two sprung axles with four wheels...as you can imagine the ride must have been a rough and a little scary one as it would pretty much be bounced all over the place :D
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Two new additions to the stable.... One of these engine actually came in last month...had a few issues to be taken care of ...reason I didn't post till now
the second just came in today :O ...it was a surprise because I had just won it Saturday and the seller just sent it out monday 8O
The first is the Pennsylvania K4 4-6-2 bullet nose Pacific

Though it wasn't in the shape I thought it would be in...I do feel this engine was worth it...as it is a pretty rare version..and doesn't pop up often
it is similar to the Torpedo in that it is streamlined ....but this is a later model than the torpedo...when Pennsylvania found streamlining beneficial and started modifying the ordinary K4s donning them with smoothed out panels ...I really like this engine :D

TOOT TOOT GENTS Image

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

This one is just a Beauty.... though it is the same as my previous MTH Torpedo...the detail is much finer...this is the Brass version of the same engine
It has one outstanding feature...it has a "long haul tender"...much needed when traversing Horseshoe curve...pulling a long load of freight cars or a passenger consist like the Broadway Limited :D
The K4 Torpedo represents Pennsylvania's flight into the streamlining of their engines...later leading to the T1 4-4-4-4 Duplex and the monster S1 6-4-4-6 Steam turbine :D

The detail is beyond superb on this one...ten times better than the cast MTH version...I'm really glad I went for this...I almost didn't...thought it would come around again... but something told me to go for it...as though it may come around again...it may not be for the same price...really got a deal on this...so I don't regret a thing :D

TOOT TOOT TOOT GENTS :thumbup: Image

ALPHA

Return to “Trains / Locomotives”