Changes to a 2014 made Heng Long Tiger I

Fixes and mods for the HL Tiger 1
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Changes to a 2014 made Heng Long Tiger I

Post by ALPHA »

freddytoo wrote:Thanks for the info guys. Ive looked very closely at my box's and have concluded there is no clutch in any of them. I have 2 plastic, one black metal and one white metal. The plastic ones gave out within 20 or 30 minutes (stripped the large gear that contacts the drive gear on the motor), but I have had no trouble with the metal ones.
The only trouble I am having now is the gearing. I have stock HL gear ratio, which I have asked about but no one seems to know what the ratio is. With a proportional speed control. going slow and trying to go up an incline, it burns out the fuse I installed. So I think I need to change to a 4:1 or 3:1 gear box. But which one? Is the 4:1 higher gear than the 3:1? Or the other way around?
Thanks again, Freddy
Hello Freddy ...the stock metal gearboxes (white metal) run at about 2:1 Some of my steel are 3:1 :D

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Clutchburner wrote:Well Freddy. I don't know much, but on the 2014 tiger 1, ther is a slipper clutch on the gear that engages to the pinion. But if you are replacing the boxes, then you should go with the 4:1 ratio. The 4:1 ratio will give more power and duribility, but steel gears WILL strip if to harshly used, don't pull weight up hill at too steep of a grade.
Hey there Clutch....hate to be contrary...but most of my tanks run the white metal gearboxes...they are plenty strong....The new generations are a lot smoother and quieter as well....I've upgraded only three to steel... and that's just because those had the Nylon gears...one being the one that totally seized ...I did the upgrade because I changed to metal components... they don't strip...you will rarely see a steel box die :D ...no matter the ratio
The reason I haven't gone to 4:1s is because I like the top speed my tanks can achieve ...it really isn't that fast... so I would really think before upgrading to a lower ratio box..... It really depends on the weight of your tank....Most Heng Longs weigh in at about 6 lbs stock...so about 2.5 k....more or less.....adding metal components adds weight...but still really not enough to justify the added cost or sacrifice in speed...4:1 is really slow....turning I found is really up to the controller .... as I can make my tanks crawl...The 2.4 gig rig... even more so....it also helps to have a strong battery.... when I play I use Lipos

A lot of modellers here make the change out because some of their tanks weigh over 10 lbs.... the metal Taigens stock ...come in at around 20 lbs ...Tom's SturmTiger when finished weighed in at 24 lbs :O ....but even at these weights they do not affect the white metal boxes or steel... the 4:1s have brass gears..which are actually weaker than steel....but the main reason for the change out on those is the profile...they are much lower...about a quarter of an inch ....so for tanks with a lot of modifications this is Ideal...especially if you are relocating switches and such

My experience is to just find a median ....and stick too it... my metal gearboxes have never failed... I just keep them lubed well...and have fun :haha:

ALPHA

PS. The only Tank I'm considering to lower the ratio is my Sherman... I will probably go with the Steel Taigen 4:1 as that tank is quite Heavy...being close to 9lbs now ;)
Clutchburner
Recruit

Post by Clutchburner »

Well I know what to say man I run nitro and no mater how much power or why ratio. Steel isn't titanium things strip, torque can mess crap up, no doubt. Know I don't know much on tanks but ANYTHING can happen. Be careful. Don't push it,Torque is your best friend, a best friend who will ruin your day if things aren't taken into consideration get a lower ratio (4:1/3:1). Don't underestimate those brushed motors, the have more power( but lack RPMs) and the higher ratio will more than likely burn up the board(ESC) and the motors. You may have tanks but man i have striped the hell out of some steel gearboxes in Rc cars. No offense , but ALPHA is a tank professional, but gearboxes like that aren't built to take everything you dish out, so be CAREFUL
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Clutchburner wrote:Well I know what to say man I run nitro and no mater how much power or why ratio. Steel isn't titanium things strip, torque can mess crap up, no doubt. Know I don't know much on tanks but ANYTHING can happen. Be careful. Don't push it,Torque is your best friend, a best friend who will ruin your day if things aren't taken into consideration get a lower ratio (4:1/3:1). Don't underestimate those brushed motors, the have more power( but lack RPMs) and the higher ratio will more than likely burn up the board(ESC) and the motors. You may have tanks but man i have striped the hell out of some steel gearboxes in Rc cars. No offense , but ALPHA is a tank professional, but gearboxes like that aren't built to take everything you dish out, so be CAREFUL
:haha: I'm no professional... just know my tanks... and Tanks are SLOW :haha: :haha: :haha: ....Nitro powered Cars are a totally different animal... but for the most part I do agree with you...Steel can strip... so can white metal...seen it many times in Airsoft guns...but these tanks by comparison don't get anywhere near the level of stress put on gears in a upgraded Airsoft gearbox....probably the same with a nitro powered car

The most exotic gearbox I've seen for a tank is stainless steel...made by impact... those suckers are expensive...but you know as well as I Clutch... stainless is brittle in comparison to steel...with that said... the Walterson's are brass....which is softer than both the white metal and steel

Many choices are out there... my basic recommendation it to get what you need.... not what someone else thinks you need...and very much yes Caviat emptor :D

ALPHA

PS...the only reason I would go steel over white metal as an upgrade is because for about 10 dollars more... you get a really nice product ;)
Clutchburner
Recruit

Post by Clutchburner »

Right, your right too, but I wish there was a carbon steel or carbide gear box, but carbide wears out too.
Clutchburner
Recruit

Post by Clutchburner »

Does anyone have questions about the tiger1? This forum will answer that.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Clutchburner wrote:Does anyone have questions about the tiger1? This forum will answer that.
I got a question... why is the Tiger generally a first purchase????????????? :haha: .....My first tank was a Panzer III...wasn't till my third tank did the Tiger receive any attention.....and really I think there was a little divine intervention... as the reason I like my Tiger...with all it's flaws...is because she runs like a bat out of Hell.... and her factory installed glowing red eyes :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
Clutchburner
Recruit

Post by Clutchburner »

Haha, well... I wanted the m41
Bulldog, but the tiger 1 was all that was available anywhere.
DavidByrden
Corporal

Post by DavidByrden »

Clutchburner wrote:Does anyone have questions about the tiger1? This forum will answer that.
What colour were the digits on the Tigers of s.Pz.Abt.501 in Africa?
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

DavidByrden wrote:
What colour were the digits on the Tigers of s.Pz.Abt.501 in Africa?
I am sure if you are asking David then it is unlikely that anyone here will have an answer that can't be argued with in some way. Sounds like one of those "nobody is likely to ever really know for sure" answers to me.

Return to “HL Tiger 1”