Changes to a 2014 made Heng Long Tiger I

Fixes and mods for the HL Tiger 1
Clutchburner
Recruit

Re: Changes to a 2014 made Heng Long Tiger I

Post by Clutchburner »

There is a clutch on the gear connected to the pinion, a slip clutch. It's on both gearboxes to help prevent gearboxes from striping, but they are very easily engaged when climbing.
Last edited by Clutchburner on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Clutchburner wrote:There is a clutch on the gear connected to the pinion, an slip clutch.
Oh yes...thanks for reminding me Clutch.... the nylon gearboxes have a clutch (Which work better if you epoxy them so they don't work :haha: )... the metal ones don't :thumbup:

ALPHA

PS. Greetings Clutch ...welcome to the board :D
Last edited by ALPHA on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

freddytoo wrote:Hi all, I read this and it raised a question. I have a HL Tiger 1, and I have had it apart many times, but I am not aware of a clutch. Where is this? All I see is the gear assembly and the motors. Am I missing something?
On the nylon gearboxes... it's the first gear that contacts the motor pinion ...sorry about my other reply ;)

ALPHA
Clutchburner
Recruit

Post by Clutchburner »

Be careful with the nylon gears. The final drive gear on some tiger 1 tanks are not engaged correctly. So, on the 2014 tiger, if you hear a grinding noise and one track won't work, the final drive gear is not engaged correctly, so you have to bend the gearbox a bit to push that gear up wards.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Clutchburner wrote:Be careful with the nylon gears. The final drive gear on some tiger 1 tanks are not engaged correctly.
That's a good tip... they are usually the ones that "spin" on the axle after awhile...something to do is to make sure all the bushings have lube in them... I've had one of my center gear axles actually bond to the nylon under load :thumbdown:

ALPHA
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Your quite right about the nylon gears which is one of the reasons that some of us RICHY strip down our Tanks as soon as we get them, People forget that HENG LONG do not class these products as anything other than toys, we have all had toys that failed from the get go, if you strip it down you can see very quickly if it is ok, and this Forum will help those of us who discover there is a problem. "forewarned is forearmed" B| shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Clutchburner
Recruit

Post by Clutchburner »

Ah, I hear about that. But this my first tank and tamiya is a very disappointing company when it comes to nitro rc's. So I went with Heng Long for my first one. And there where SOOO many problems,and I have seen that metal parts creat even more of those problems. An for those havering track problems, check the back sprocket, it makes a clicking noise and will sometimes
Unthread it, and for this with turret problems, the 2014 turret is very loose, and can catch on things inside. But the only true problem is gearbox strippage
Last edited by Clutchburner on Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Clutchburner wrote:Ah, I hear about that. But this my first tank and tamiya is a very disappointing company when it comes to nitro rc's. So I went with Heng Long for my first one. And there where SOOO many problems,and I have seen that metal parts creat even more of those problems.
jarndice wrote:Your quite right about the nylon gears which is one of the reasons that some of us RICHY strip down our Tanks as soon as we get them, People forget that HENG LONG do not class these products as anything other than toys, we have all had toys that failed from the get go, if you strip it down you can see very quickly if it is ok, and this Forum will help those of us who discover there is a problem. "forewarned is forearmed" B| shaun
My experiences seem to be opposite of yours .... I have had nothing but fun with my Heng Longs.... Tamiya is ok... but for such a pricey model... it still has things to do... on the balance scale doesn't quite measure up .... and so far though I think Taigen is a good median... I am finding that they require so much fine tuning...almost twice as much as a Heng Long....You've followed some of my critiques Shaun.... I think as a whole... I've given the Taigen components some of the harshest as I found several of their so called upgrades... not to be ;)

ALPHA
Clutchburner
Recruit

Post by Clutchburner »

I don't know why mine is so bad, but in a later reply, I shall post a picture of my gearbox and show MY problem, but I just have a heck of a time with that gearbox! Does anyone else hear the clicking noise when the tank is climbing? Im not sure if I'm just crazy or what! But everything else seems to work so dang well.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Clutchburner wrote:I don't know why mine is so bad, but in a later reply, I shall post a picture of my gearbox and show MY problem, but I just have a heck of a time with that gearbox! Does anyone else hear the clicking noise when the tank is climbing?
You still have nylon gears Clutch? the clicking is usually because of the load...especially if it's the S&S version...the weight is a little too much for the nylon gears....My JagdPanther used to click all the time.... then I epoxied the clutch gear.... I would say it was as quiet if not more so than the steel gearbox.... thing is ...I put it under so much load one day... and one of the axles melted and bonded to the bushing...since no one sells the brass bushings separate ..I upgraded to steel... now no clicking... and it can handle just about any load :D

Since then... all my tanks have at least the white metal gears in them(buy them pre installed)... though some don't like those...knock on wood ... I've never had a catastrophic failure with them ;)

ALPHA

Return to “HL Tiger 1”