Sherman Duplex Drive...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Re: Sherman Duplex Drive...

Post by FredtheFrench »

Fews pics from Benjamin (production director).

Me with my Sherman duplex drive (the young man :haha: :haha: ).

Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:clap: Merci, Fred!! You certainly do deliver the goods on request, and more! Those are utterly amazing production shots :thumbup: :thumbup: :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Hey Roy.

For the documentary, of course I will put the link for the replay (will only last one week).

But I think honestly than my tank will be visible only fews seconds during the film.

Hey Mick.

For putty glue, the French word is " mastic colle ". Be careful. The " mastic" must be without silicone!!!

This is what I buy to avoid leak for the screen:

https://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produit ... anc-e58769

For the front gasket (transmissions), it is made from a rubber sheet of 1mm thick.

If you need help, or advices, don't hesitate. It will be with pleasure. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Mick, I'm not sure in the link if it's the good thing, but it look like that.

This is the ballast to put inside the tank after removed the electronic to do the experience in the swell basin. 3.8kgs+ 4kgs for the tank= approximatly 8kgs to be at the good level from the water.

I have film the tank in the swimming pool this afternoon, but impossible setting the video and windows movie maker does not exist now...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I'd almost forgotten a visit I made to the Bovington Museum a couple of years ago, Freddie. Here's a couple of pics of the DD tank they have there. There's a barrier around the tank, and this made it impossible to get a really. crisp picture of the drive mechanism. Still, it gives some idea of the arrangement.
I don't think I'd want to go to sea in this one; even with all those patches and glue. :lolno:
Bovington Sherman Duplex Drive
Bovington Sherman Duplex Drive
Sherman DD tank at Bovington- closeup of drive
Sherman DD tank at Bovington- closeup of drive
Anyway, I thought you might like the pics.
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Thank you very much Roy.

I take all pics about DD.

Me, I m agree to go to sea, but with a safety jacket and standing on the rear platform. A volunteer to drive or rather navigate??? :haha:

The tank museum of Saumur, want to restore their. I would like to be in the team for restoration, but I' m not sure my wife will be agree... :(

I hope to do a video next week of my model in the swimming pool. Gentlemen, are you interested? :D :D :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Mais oui, bien sûr, Freddie!
Roy.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I like the pictures, Roy, thank you. I just noticed that the sprocket is in the rear on that tank. Did they also have a drive sprocket in the front?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Yes. The rear sprocket was attached to the idler wheel to drive the propellers. But they found it wasn't needed, and tended to pick up packed sand and break/throw tracks.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minu ... drive.html
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Hello Max.

The drive sproket is on front. For the rear it was only to help the tracks to not " slip" on the rear wheels. But after many tests, engineers says the rear sproket was not necessary because the tracks don't slip.

Only British army used the rear sproket, if you look the rear wheels on the Americans DD, there isn't gear wheel.

Return to “Other Builds”