KV-1 on the bench

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
palepainter
Sergeant

Re: KV-1 on the bench

Post by palepainter »

Hi Palepainter... yeah those boxes are perfect... only problem is they are ...in composition... very close to lead.. an insulating material....so you might want to get some scrap copper... flatten it out cut it to fit inside your boxes then solder wires to them (if you are going to do them in tandem)...the internal ones I've read about here aren't as efficient as the helicopter wire I used ...I tried .... once the hull is closed.... you lose about 20% of your range..compared to having the upper hull off

But it does work :thumbup:

GOOD LUCK

ALPHA
I had not even considered that. HAHAHA. No doubt. Go though all that work and my signal is about 5 ft. LOL. I am going to run the antennae from the front for now. When I convert to 2.4 it should not be an issue. Again, thanks for all the great ideas and considerations.
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

I am just about finished with the detail work on this. Those boxes were really nice. I have the Aber handles to put on, but am waiting for my vision to return after putting the nuts on that screen vent cover. Holy moly that was tiny. I need a jeweler's loupe. I moved the saw to a different spot on the left fender according to a couple different sources.

Some shots from progress this eve.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

palepainter wrote:
While I was waiting for your reply... I actually think I found a solution... after I try it I'll let you know.... because as the design stands.... there is about an eighth of an inch clearance between the motor and the hull ...so the alternative would be to move the smoker... and change to low profile gearbox cages...which in my case used my last spare for my CHAFFEE build ...meaning replacing the current gearboxes ...which to me ...would be a total waste....
With that said... I think my idea will work... yes without the use of bicycle spokes lol.... I'll let you know the result :thumbup:
I am going to use a square tubing on the underside that connect the two exhausts together. Then I am going to tap into the side of the tubing and insert a brass runner that will tie into the flex. I am thinking I can move the smoker right next to controller. I am going to clay the area and see exactly what I am dealing with. Thanks for all your input.
Instead of working on details... I worked on the internals... I got my smoker to work... had to move it all the way to the front.... moved the speaker and control box..I still regret cutting out my vents..but what the hey ... what's done is done

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

palepainter wrote:

Hi Palepainter... yeah those boxes are perfect... only problem is they are ...in composition... very close to lead.. an insulating material....so you might want to get some scrap copper... flatten it out cut it to fit inside your boxes then solder wires to them (if you are going to do them in tandem)...the internal ones I've read about here aren't as efficient as the helicopter wire I used ...I tried .... once the hull is closed.... you lose about 20% of your range..compared to having the upper hull off

But it does work :thumbup:

GOOD LUCK

ALPHA
I had not even considered that. HAHAHA. No doubt. Go though all that work and my signal is about 5 ft. LOL. I am going to run the antennae from the front for now. When I convert to 2.4 it should not be an issue. Again, thanks for all the great ideas and considerations.
Yeah when people were giving me tips... I tried almost every one of them... then tried the helicopter wire... just because of how flexible it is..and those helicopters have some range with normal radios it worked well

Converting to 2.4 will give you no problems with range... you won't even need the antenna anymore..... on my T-34s I cut the brass pin flat.. filed it ... and she still picks up
There was a guy in CANADA selling one from a LEOPARD....a HENG LONG unit. with receiver board... 40 + ship... a good deal if you can lock that up...I would imagine it would get to you pretty fast too

I would have went for it... but I run a budget on each of my tanks...and don't like to exceed a certain amount.... though it was a good deal... I don't really need it...as I have plenty of helicopter antenna wire

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

She's really shaping up there palepainter...the boxes look good on her...the vent grills came out great too... and I like those cable horns you have on the side

You're really going to end up with something to be proud of :thumbup:

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Wow! That is some great detail work, Pale. I'll have to make it down to see your tanks in person one day after the snow and cold lets up. This KV looks like it could be parked out in Kubinka's back lot!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

I tried an experiment tonight with the Miliput and the creation of the welds. I sprayed a coat of primer down prior to applying the fake welds made from the Gray Silver Miliput. I was quite happy with how much easier it was. It bonded to the painted surface much better than the bare plastic like I had done with the Panther. While I was messing with paint, I threw a bit of the dark values in the detail areas as well. I will be painting this weekend. :)
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

While I had the hull apart, I upgraded the speaker and created a mounting system for it. It is a 4 ohm speaker from out of an older PC unit. Sounds pretty good.

Got to do some painting to day. I started with a primer gray and black for the underpainting. Then I used a combination of airpressure, water sprayer, and drab green for a second under coat. I use the water lightly in spots to create wear or distressing in the surface. Then for the final color, a Testors Med Green. I sprayed a bit more with the airbrush in the seams and different features to darken them. Then using the water lightly, I misted the surface then sprayed the Med Green. After I sprayed, I take my air nozzle and blow the surface off. Then I lightly misted more Med green to wash it out just a bit more.

I created a mask in Corel Draw for the side of turret. Then I applied the mask and airbrushed a thin coat of white over it. Not totally opaque.

So far, I have mixed a black and silver pearl for the metal color. I am using a Testors Rust also in side some of the chipping. I am taking a break for the eve. More rust and chips tomorrow.

I have to do the chassis next.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening,
Pale, that is absolutely splendid! Drip effects and rusts and chips and scores. ;o) It all says Armor.
regards,
Painless

P.S. don't forget to add a track link to get that Sov style track droop. ;o)
...Here for the Dawn...
cupoftea
Corporal

Post by cupoftea »

Wonderful work Sir.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”