KV-1 on the bench

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: KV-1 on the bench

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
A site that has the engine screen photo etch parts: http://www.artistichobbies.com/proddeta ... d=ABE16043
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Morning,
A site that has the engine screen photo etch parts: http://www.artistichobbies.com/proddeta ... d=ABE16043
regards,
Painless
Thanks Painless... I went there after you told me about the taigens... didn't see a taigen KV ... but yeah found the photo etch parts... I didn't read into it.. but sounded like Hawaii and Alaska excluded from their mailing ....I'll probably just go with what I have for mesh... and butcher out the frames for the grill work... not to mention I don't think I will need everything provided in that kit they sell ;)

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

palepainter wrote:Great point. I'm not too concerned for exact accuracy. Only wanting to improve the quality of detail that HL left off. But overall, I am quite please with the quality of their product here. One thing that gets me, why did they have to set up the mold where all the bolt heads orientate to the same direction. That kind of gets me. :)

HL also left off the nuts on the rear deck running along each of the sides of the hatches. I scraped a few and mades some adjustments to the nut pattern, closer to the real deal.
Well I know I'm going to follow your lead on what detail you added to the rear deck... not sure about the bolts.. because they don't matter too much for my purposes...but those loops definitely should be there... HL dropped the ball on those..especially after I did the T34... they almost left nothing out on that baby...What I found interesting was that HL included one of the small cables for the engine lid.. I'm still wondering why... because there were no hooks for it to logically be put there lol

I haven't reached the hull yet... but am anticipating removing all the extra plate armor cleaning tool holder and that little flat gadget on the right side fender in front of the box

by the way palepainter... did you check out the link I left you? ... you have to contact Dave (forgebear) for the boxes

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

maxmekker wrote:It's going to look awsome, the headlight work you do is superb.

you can pick up some engine mesh here :

http://www.an-bri-rc-modellbau.de/epage ... Categories

http://www.an-bri-rc-modellbau.de/epage ... ts/KV1-103

here is how mine came out

the 'cross bars' I had to make from scrap pe sheets

here is how my metal tool boxes came out

OH ... that place is in GERMANY... my friend had a hard time getting stuff from there ...not that shop in particular... but said there are so many extra costs in doing so... thanks for posting the link max... I really like those white metal parts... I haven't seen any other seller have those... but I think I will have to stick to the stock plastics .... and chop them up to make the detail

looks like you're building a KV2... captured? or SOVIET? did you move you're exhaust lines?

I think it's something I'm going to do...as the stock location seems a little odd

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Alpha,
I felt bad about referring you to a site that might not ship to you so I went and did a look through on their policy page. It seems that certain items (glues and paints, etc) can be shipped only via Ground within the lower 48 but as far all items on the website go:
"WE SHIP: ArtisticHobbies.com ships to the 50 U.S. states and Canada. Orders placed by 6:00 PM CST will be processed the same day and shipped in a timely manner.
Orders placed after 6:00 PM CST will be processed on the next day of business. No Saturday or Sunday deliveries available. Orders purchased on Saturday, Sunday and holidays will not be processed until the following business day." So you can order through there if you find something that you like. I have had nothing but great service from them. They are one of the few places that carries photo etch and sources the parts for the 1\24 scale RC Tanks I like as well. Sorry about them not stocking the Taigen KV-1 right now but they will get it back in for later I imagine. I know that I have seen those photo etch grills for the KV somewhere sold separately. It may have been on one of the German sites. Have fun with that beauty of a KV-2 today and don't forget to PM me about those Sherman tracks.
warm regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

Thanks for that link to Artistic Hobbies here in the US. I ordered the etched metal set for the KV and the steel boxes. That was refreshing to find the stuff here in the states. They seemed very nice to work with as well.
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

O.K. I final word on the horns boys. From what I can see (and I spent an hour pouring over photos) it appears both are correct. Some are on the left, some are on the right. Schumo has theirs on the left. It's like depending on the factory that produced them...
So I guess which ever way you want it! LOL!
Kinda like the front glacis plate story...
Attachments
KV-1 horn 1.jpg
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Morning, Alpha,
I felt bad about referring you to a site that might not ship to you so I went and did a look through on their policy page. It seems that certain items (glues and paints, etc) can be shipped only via Ground within the lower 48 but as far all items on the website go:
"WE SHIP: ArtisticHobbies.com ships to the 50 U.S. states and Canada. Orders placed by 6:00 PM CST will be processed the same day and shipped in a timely manner.
Orders placed after 6:00 PM CST will be processed on the next day of business. No Saturday or Sunday deliveries available. Orders purchased on Saturday, Sunday and holidays will not be processed until the following business day." So you can order through there if you find something that you like. I have had nothing but great service from them. They are one of the few places that carries photo etch and sources the parts for the 1\24 scale RC Tanks I like as well. Sorry about them not stocking the Taigen KV-1 right now but they will get it back in for later I imagine. I know that I have seen those photo etch grills for the KV somewhere sold separately. It may have been on one of the German sites. Have fun with that beauty of a KV-2 today and don't forget to PM me about those Sherman tracks.
warm regards,
Painless
Thanks for the 411 Painless... still not sure I'm going to use them right now... that photoetch set is pretty pricey and probably includes things I won't use...if they had the engine covers and grills I'd jump on them... unfortunately there's only the photoetch mesh... which I have plenty of ...it did look like it included the cleaning equipment tube for the fender...as well... but I already have that material too lol...so right now I'm going to order some stuff from Dave... he has more of what I need..even though it might take a little longer to get to me

Thanks for thinking of me Painless.. I appreciate it...and I still didn't see the TAIGEN KV :haha: ...not that I would buy another... I was just curious to see what it looked like :D

Take care buddy :thumbup:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

dgsselkirk wrote:O.K. I final word on the horns boys. From what I can see (and I spent an hour pouring over photos) it appears both are correct. Some are on the left, some are on the right. Schumo has theirs on the left. It's like depending on the factory that produced them...
So I guess which ever way you want it! LOL!
Kinda like the front glacis plate story...
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
Let us not forget the T-34 two way engine deck lid lol

That's a great looking honker :clap:
The new question at hand... you going to put yours back or order that beauty :haha:

too funny dgsselkirk :haha:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

palepainter wrote:Thanks for that link to Artistic Hobbies here in the US. I ordered the etched metal set for the KV and the steel boxes. That was refreshing to find the stuff here in the states. They seemed very nice to work with as well.
Hey palepainter... you do know those photoetch boxes are "one" only right...so 30 dollars a piece... :O ...I'm going for the white metal ones from Dave (forgebear)..which cost about the same... but you get three instead of one :D

ALPHA

Return to “Heng Long Builds”